1932 Springfield Aircraft Company "Cicada" NR 13 205

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the 1932 Springfield Aircraft Company's "Cicada" NR 13 205?
It has a radial engine, semi-elliptical shoulder-mounted wings, circular fuselage cross-section, fixed landing gear with spats and a spectacular paint job resembling an insect. The single, open cockpit is aft of the wings.
A single photograph was posted on the Facebook page "Rare and unusual aircraft types."

The post is a few years old but what would you like to know about the Cicada? I've got a fair amount of data on it.
When did the Cicada make its first flight?
How many more flights after that?
How many hours did it fly?
Did it compete in any air races?
Did it "medal" in any air races?

Which engine?
Wing span?
Wing area?
Gross weight?
Top speed?
Landing speed?

How closely is it related to the similar Hall Bulldog racer?

The post is a few years old but what would you like to know about the Cicada? I've got a fair amount of data on it.
When did the Cicada make its first flight?
How many more flights after that?
How many hours did it fly?
Did it compete in any air races?
Did it "medal" in any air races?

Which engine?
Wing span?
Wing area?
Gross weight?
Top speed?
Landing speed?

How closely is it related to the similar Hall Bulldog racer?
Riggerrob, The L-1 Cicada ( Sometimes referred to as the Mexican Cicada or Mexican Moth) was the 1st completed aircraft from Bob Hall's Springfield Aircraft Co. Following his departure from the Granville Brothers Aircraft Co in Nov 1931. Hall's 1st paying customer was a man named Lt. Frank J Lynch and his wife Josephine. The couple commissioned the L-1 Cicada for use on a circumnavigational flight that was to take place in 1932. Construction began April 4, 1932, and was completed on June 25th, 1932 with the 1st flight taking place that same day. The L-1 was powered by a P&W R-985 Wasp jr . It had a wing span of 34 feet 6 inches, overall length of 23 feet 7 inches. 170 square feet of wing area, overall gross weight somewhere between 3300-3500 pounds estimated cruise 175 mph top speed 210. I don't have it in front of me but i recall the takeoff speed being noted somewhere around 80-90 mph. The plane had a staggered side by side 2 seat arrangement the left seat slightly forward of the right. The L-1 competed in the 1932 Niagara Falls air races (June 26th) placed 4th but according to Hall he wasn't racing to win he was racing to see what the plane could do. The circumnavigation flight was put on hold, Frank lynch later entered into the 1932 Bendix Cross-Country race but engine troubles in the weeks before the race kept him from competing. Lynch flew the Cicada to Cleveland that year in hopes of possibly entering some of the races but the engine issues returned and it remained grounded. The Cicada was again entered in the New England Air Pageant in Hillsboro RI in October 1932 but damaged a piston and dropped out it remained grounded in RI for over a month. Dec 4, 1932 Frank Lynch was test flying the the Cicada at Bowles Agawam Airport. During the 3rd flight of the day he lost his spacial awareness one take off and crashed into the airport's hangar. Lynch was killed instantly and the aircraft was completely destroyed in the post crash fire.
The Cicada and V-2 Bulldog share some design similarities mostly in the landing gear but the Cicada was never truly designed for racing it was intended as a world cruiser.
Hope that answers your questions. I'm always hunting for more on the plane if you ever come across something please let me know.