Vought V-358 Attack-Fighter Design Study (1947)

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I've put up a summary of the Vought V-358 Attack-Fighter Design Study of 1947 at RetroMechanix.com:

5709116825_9f6b53dd79_o.jpg

It features 27 high resolution images of this handsome turboprop attack/fighter aircraft, including an an interesting chart showing many of the early configurations considered; check it out!

-Jared

Awesome, as usual! The attack variant reminds me of the Curtiss Blackhawk in a way. Same generation, same general design philosophy.

There are many turboprop attack and fighter studies from this period which I hope to eventually cover on the site. I'm also hoping someone with access to the Vought archive can uncover full three-views of the precursor studies to the V-358 illustrated on this page:

http://retromechanix.com/articles/aerospace/vought-v-358-attack-%E2%80%94-fighter-design-study/?pid=1442

Some of these are pretty neat; I like the single engine pusher design, in particular. The jet versions are indeed reminiscent of the XP-87 Blackhawk.

jzichek said:
I've put up a summary of the Vought V-358 Attack-Fighter Design Study of 1947 ...It features 27 high resolution images

??? All I see is 12 images, mostly pages of data. Am I missing something?

EDIT: There they are. Hmmm. The images seem to be split into two separate groups... one with 12, the other with 15. At least on my system, if you go to the Retromechanix main page, you get linked to the article with 15 images (the drawings); but if you click the link directly abouve this post, you go to the set of twelve data pages. If you click on the post title, you get taken away from the data pages to the drawings.

That's... odd.

The post is broken up into two pages; you have to scroll down to the bottom to see the pagination.

I'm working on adding pagination to the top of the articles as well to make it more obvious to readers. The site is a continuous work in progress and I am no Wordpress guru, so I hope folks can bear with me while I work on improving it.

jzichek said:
I'm working on adding pagination to the top of the articles as well to make it more obvious to readers. The site is a continuous work in progress and I am no Wordpress guru, so I hope folks can bear with me while I work on improving it.

You've been doing just great until now, although I much prefer it when all attached images can be seen at the bottom of the article in thumbnail form. Being able to go from one pick to the next with the arrows is nice too, but this time around it didn't work...

Here is a design study for the V-358 VA aircraft that matches the drawing that started this thread.
VAHF archives.

bill

Attachments

• CVS-17458-V-358-Design-Study-VA-Airplane.jpg
    CVS-17458-V-358-Design-Study-VA-Airplane.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 806
Here is another general arrangement for a V-358 in a different configuration.
VAHF archives.

bill

Attachments

• CVS-17455-V-358-Design-Study-VA-Airplane.jpg
    CVS-17455-V-358-Design-Study-VA-Airplane.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 779
Nice find, thanks! It's cool to see the staggered seating in the jet variant.

Here is one of the V-358 configurations Jared was looking for CVS-17419 drawing number.
The wing tip pod mounted 20mm cannons are an interesting detail.

VAHF Archives.

bill

Attachments

• xCVS-17419-V-358-General-Arrangement-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    xCVS-17419-V-358-General-Arrangement-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 392
  • xCVS-17419-V-358-Inboard-Profile-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    xCVS-17419-V-358-Inboard-Profile-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 378
  • xCVS-17419-V-358-Cannon-Install-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    xCVS-17419-V-358-Cannon-Install-XT-40-Engine.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 166
Very nice, thank you!

Splendid! So great that all these Vought designs have survived despite the company's demise! ;D

Back
Top Bottom