USAF Air Materiel Command Design 938A Penetration Fighter Study of 1948

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
[font=verdana, sans-serif]Check out this article on the USAF Air Materiel Command Design 938A Penetration Fighter Study of 1948:

6259013130_2eb2495696_o.jpg

This was a study done to examine the pros and cons of stowing all fuel internally in a long range fighter aircraft. The image gallery reproduces the original memorandum describing the design and includes a high resolution three-view drawing.

-Jared[/font]

Wow another interesting find Jared!!

I'm looking forward to have a closer examination at RetroMechanix!!!!

Regards
Pioneer

Very, very cool! Any idea if this underwent any further design development? I'd have to sit down and crunch some numbers, but in terms of wing loading, thrust loading, etc., I wonder how it would have stacked up against the XF-88A? The tip tanks of the XF-88 caused a lot of problems. In order to restore the fuel capacity lost with the deletion of the tip tanks, the fuel was relocated in a lengthened forward fuselage in succeeding McDonnell Model 36 derivatives, culminating in the Model 36W which became the F-101. This decision, in turn, led to many unintended consequences with the F-101. It will be very interesting to take a closer look at this concept. Thanks for posting! Do you have any other penetration fighter related stuff available to post?

I'm not certain how much further this design was studied; of the thousands of Air Material Command studies done over the years, very few have actually reached the public. I unfortunately don't have any further penetration fighter material in my archive.

This design is very reminiscent of the XF-88 which first flew 20 October 1948 or right after the time this study is dated... -SP

Back
Top Bottom