‘Harry Potter’ Series Adaptation Officially Ordered at HBO Max, Will Feature Entirely New Cast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might actually watch that, depending on how long the Hollywood writers strike continues...

If the writers strike goes on long enough to matter, leading to new shows being delayed or outright cancelled, an increasing share of entertainment-time will be devoted to amateur stuff... YouTube videos and the like. I expect with the new AI capabilities, barely-scripted "shows" will start getting produced. The first crop will doubtless be garbage, but before too long, some will be good enough to be worth watching. And it would not surprise me at all if "Mo: The Movie" starring Mulvaney will be on the table. Along with every conceivable variation of the Potterverse with every conceivable actor, actress, actron and acting unit in every role. Hell, one day someone will produce a 500-hour book-accurate version of the Potter series starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as *every* character.

Because the series is a bleak, realistic take at Harry low life. Realism above all: magic won't save you from the gritty horror of the real world.
They hired this charming fellow, Bruno Dumont, for the series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Vie_de_Jésus

Well in fact the series will be done by this pack of French realisators

His often polarizing work has been connected to a recent French cinéma du corps/body of cinema, encompassing contemporary films by Claire Denis, Marina de Van, Gaspar Noé, Diane Bertrand, and François Ozon, among others. According to Tim Palmer, this trajectory includes a focus on states of corporeality in and of themselves, independent of narrative exposition or character psychology.[4] In a more pejorative vein, James Quandt has also talked of some of this group of filmmakers, as the so-called New French Extremity.[5]

Imagine the Harry Potter movies reworked by that charming company. Nitty-gritty, dark. Ugly.

It must be filmed in Black and White, containing overly long pauses and prodigious amounts of smoking. The music must be minimal use the saxophone a lot and the monologues verbose.

"Nutballs?" You mean people who would be annoyed if the next production of "Hamlet" turned the main character into, say, an allegory for Donald Trump (or for Joe Biden or Sadiq Khan or Putin or any other politician you'd like/hate) who is dead certain of his course and emerges at the end utterly victorious? Or a production of "Tom Sawyer" that eliminated Jim and all references to slavery?
How about reimagining Macbeth as an allegory for Ceaușescu in Communist Romania, or Richard III as an allegory for fascism?

How about reimagining Macbeth as an allegory for Ceaușescu in Communist Romania, or Richard III as an allegory for fascism?
Indeed. I saw a live version of MacBeth as a simile of the downfall of the Ceaucescus once. It was damn good. Tom Stoppard's radically reinterpreted Shakespeare more than once and he's not the only one to do so by any means; Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is the best known. Peter Greenaway's Prospero's Books rewrites The Tempest, emphasizing Prospero's role as puppet master. Jean Betts' very funny Ophelia Thinks Harder has Ophelia fake her death and run away (who wouldn't?). At least for a while, Prokofiev even considered giving his ballet Romeo and Juliet a happy ending.

Often the whole point of any performance of Shakespeare is to cast new light on the material. My favourite version of Twelfth Night is set in 19th century Cornwall. Hamlet is a popular target because it's all about dissimulation, dilemmas and motivations, allowing widely varying interpretations. Also, because the original stage plays are quite long by modern standards, film adaptations always have to cut substantially, inevitably altering the tone and focus.

There's long been a tradition on reinterpreting Greek classics as well. In fact, there's a real surge in writing at the moment - Pat Barker's recent treatments of the Iliad, for example. Michael Cacoyannis filmed Euripides' The Trojan Women eliminating all but one very ambiguous depiction of the gods and stripping the play down to a purely human tragedy. That drastically changed its presentation of fate and free will.

And don't get me started on the Arthurian legends. Some versions diverge so far from the canon that they don't even have the rabbit!

The list goes on and on. Revision can be a rich source of creativity and if that's good enough for classics that have endured for centuries and even millennia, an obsession with 'canon' for the ephemeral products of pop culture looks ridiculous. People who write fanfic are laughed at but they've gotten over that hangup at least.

Last edited:
Anyway... Flesh Gordon's a hoot.

Attachments

• gettyimages-534544447-1024x1024.jpg
    gettyimages-534544447-1024x1024.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 10
  • affiche-flash-gordon-1980-6.jpg
    affiche-flash-gordon-1980-6.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 10
  • brwgr4d.jpg
    brwgr4d.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 10
It must be filmed in Black and White, containing overly long pauses and prodigious amounts of smoking. The music must be minimal use the saxophone a lot and the monologues verbose.
I have the perfect line for a great last scene of a noir film.

Bill Nye and Ken Ham are arguing origins, and our detective walks out:

“Whether it be the dust and muck of Adam’s bones, the primordial ooze of four-point-something billion years ago….or the other ooze deposited by one party into another in the back seat of a Nash or Hudson….one way or the other—-we all descend from slime.”

fade to black

Just another thought, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a plan to Americanise the franchise.
After all, the producer of the films originally wanted Haley Joel Osment to play Harry Potter, but was blocked by JKR, who insisted on an all-British cast . . .

cheers,
Robin.

The discussions about modern cultural treasures remind me of the moans from people about the staging of Shakespeare plays.

Producers love to put actors into ever conceivable costume or setting for Shakespeare plays. They know that some audiences will relish the innovation while those that hate it will generate publicity.

As an individual I have strong likes and dislikes. I find all Star Trek beyond the Desilu TV series heavy and ponderous while my only Batman is the 60s TV show (Gotham was not bad though). I have tried to read Tolkien and Rowling but given up after a few chapters. I prefer lighter stuff like The Saint. But this is my problem not yours or the people's all over the world who like them.

Unless you are a paid critic, the only reason anyone would watch whatever he/she/they doesn't like would be that he/she/they is a masochist. And the one thing I can think of that maintains this endless litany, is that some people can't be happy if they can't complain.
Now I could say "You have my sympathy" to the congenitally disgruntled - but I'd be lying.
proxy-image(1).gif

Last edited:
I have no idea what message is being conveyed there. Was that written by an AI?

Fire bad. AI bad.

The message was simply this: In the past - POWER - was what was said to a few people or whoever could hear you in a room. Now, because of the internet, incessant whiners have a new place to whine. They have no P O W E R, just a defined noise factor, i.e. loud and as often as possible.

Here we go again... Can we get this over with quickly?
Unless you are a paid critic, the only reason anyone would watch whatever he/she/they doesn't like would be that he/she/they is a masochist. And the one thing I can think of that maintains this endless litany, is that some people can't be happy if they can't complain.
Now I could say "You have my sympathy" to the congenitally disgruntled - but I'd be lying.
Here we go again... The really asinine thing is that this is before even a single frame has been shot. Can we at least get this over with quickly?

comic_book_guy_from_simpsons_by_dropstar_d83qrt-fullview.jpg

WoW, I really wasn't aware of this thread's existence.

Fire bad. AI bad.

Medicine bad. Progress bad. Science bad.

The message was simply this: In the past - POWER - was what was said to a few people or whoever could hear you in a room. Now, because of the internet, incessant whiners have a new place to whine. They have no P O W E R, just a defined noise factor, i.e. loud and as often as possible.
There are multiple forms of "power." Money gave companies the power to buy IPs; money gave fans the power to spank the companies that screwed up those IPs. In the second case, it's the withholding of money. The internet gave individuals the ability to complain to the world... and it gave groups of fans the power to decide to spend their money or not.

Soon enough, AI tools will give people the power to tell the IP owners that their vision stinks, and I'll do it myself and share *my* vision of what *you* should have done. Even while the rights tot he Silmarillion will still be held, people will start making their own versions of the various tales. People will make their own Potterverse stories, their own trek fan films.

Medicine bad. Progress bad. Science bad.

There are multiple forms of "power." Money gave companies the power to buy IPs; money gave fans the power to spank the companies that screwed up those IPs. In the second case, it's the withholding of money. The internet gave individuals the ability to complain to the world... and it gave groups of fans the power to decide to spend their money or not.

Soon enough, AI tools will give people the power to tell the IP owners that their vision stinks, and I'll do it myself and share *my* vision of what *you* should have done. Even while the rights tot he Silmarillion will still be held, people will start making their own versions of the various tales. People will make their own Potterverse stories, their own trek fan films.

Fan.... films.... blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And there's this little fan film. The animation is lacking, but the voice work is spot-on... because it was done by AI. Soon enough, text prompts and those still frames will be used by an AI to fully animate something like this.

And while you may not like it, it made me laugh several times. Which is more than I can say for a lot of "professional" stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXsVTADniQ

Anyway, bring on the AI-animated and voiced Harry Potter!

... aaand we're on AI. Again. Lovely jubbly.

Status
Not open for further replies.