‘Harry Potter’ Series Adaptation Officially Ordered at HBO Max, Will Feature Entirely New Cast

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only someone would look beyond recycling prior TV and film franchises and invest in something more challenging, like Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun.

Colonel Potter and the Bedchamber of Secrets
Harry Morgan and the sorcerer's kidney stone

This show is very likely going to irritate *everyone.* Almost certainly it'll be jam-packed with stunt casting; Britain in the 1990's will be shown to be as amazingly diverse as a Benneton ad (the Weasely's are all redheads... their fate is sealed). And on the other side, if it's even vaguely remotely successful, dump trucks full of cash will be poured into Rowling's bank account, driving the weirdos insane with rage/envy.

• Haha
Reactions: zen
Harry Pétard and the Megane of doom. A divorced Harry has crossed the channel into northern France (our very own rust belt, think of Detroit in a good day), became a low-life living on social aid, spending his day smoking weed (pétard = spliff) and driving a battered Renaud Mégane - that can't fly, of course.

First episode in the series, starts with a flashback. A midlife Harry made the mistake of teaming with Neville and Luna, now happily married, to try a brand new kind of magic. Needless to say, with those weirdos... it went badly, and Harry was severely punished. He was forever banned to the muggle world: deprived of his magical abilities. He was even banned from Great Britain, plus that Brexit sad affair didn't helped, long story short: he decided to cross the Channel in exile and settle only 20 miles from UK.

Flashback show a badly aged Harry driving his car on a french highway at night: first time he crossed into Pas de Calais.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_H4aB5vtmE

ROTFL.

Last edited:
Harry Pétard and the Megane of doom. A divorced Harry has crossed the channel into northern France (our very own rust belt, think of Detroit in a good day), became a low-life living on social aid, spending his day smoking weed (pétard = spliff) and driving a battered Renaud Mégane - that can't fly, of course.
Why wouldn't you at least let him have the Citroën DS volante from Fantomas??? Even without wings, that's one of my favorite car designs of all times!!!

Last edited:
Because the series is a bleak, realistic take at Harry low life. Realism above all: magic won't save you from the gritty horror of the real world.
They hired this charming fellow, Bruno Dumont, for the series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Vie_de_Jésus

Well in fact the series will be done by this pack of French realisators

His often polarizing work has been connected to a recent French cinéma du corps/body of cinema, encompassing contemporary films by Claire Denis, Marina de Van, Gaspar Noé, Diane Bertrand, and François Ozon, among others. According to Tim Palmer, this trajectory includes a focus on states of corporeality in and of themselves, independent of narrative exposition or character psychology.[4] In a more pejorative vein, James Quandt has also talked of some of this group of filmmakers, as the so-called New French Extremity.[5]

Imagine the Harry Potter movies reworked by that charming company. Nitty-gritty, dark. Ugly.

Last edited:
This show is very likely going to irritate *everyone.*
Actually, that's where you're wrong - I'm not irritated by it at all :D, because I really, honestly, seriously, COULD. NOT. CARE. LESS. about mindless BS hoodoowoodoo fairydust drivel like that ;).

View attachment 701266
Oh you betcha ;). It never ceases to amaze me how some/many people can get all riled up about all sorts of first world non-issues, especially of the pop-culture variety, but yet there is this undeniable fascination about watching things spectacularly go off the rails :). While I abhor popcorn, this is admittedly one spectator sport I'd indulge in watching :cool:, even on this esteemed forum. Speaking of sports, if you would like to stimulate an animated discussion in one of them thar so-called sports bars, I would whole-heartedly recommend to casually ask the following question to a total stranger: "Say, is Cassius Clay still swimming as a quarterback for the Anaheim Red Cardinals?" I've never tried it myself, because I don't frequent sports bars, but I'd dearly love to learn about the effects of doing so...

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how some/many people can get all riled up about all sorts of non-issues, especially of the pop-culture variety, but yet there is this undeniable first world fascination about watching things spectacularly go off the rails :). While I abhor popcorn, this is admittedly one spectator sport I indulge in watching :cool:, even on this esteemed forum.
I get paying close attention to something you love. I get paying close attention to things you hate. And I *especially* get playing close attention to things that you love that have been twisted into something you hate by people of ill intentions.

What I *don't* get is paying any sort of attention to things you claim you could not care less about.

WRT "non-issues" with pop culture, pop culture is the source of *culture.* A lot of it will simply evaporate into nothing, like the vast bulk of sitcoms that came, were popular for a while, then vanished almost without a trace. But some bits of pop culture, such as Shakespeare, Chaucer, King Arthur, Star Trek, Mark Twain, Star Wars, Harry Potter and others, have staying power because they reached something meaningful. You mess with them at your peril.

Last edited:
Tea. Cookies. Finding out what's annoying the disgruntled on SPF this week. Check. Check. Check.
Not watching the Kardashians. Or Star Trek. Check. Check.

What can I say - I just find it amusing and entertaining how people get all hot and bothered about trivial things like "canon" vs. "non-canon" works of *fiction*, kinda like watching something like this from a safe distance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_at_Crush.

Last edited:
Because the series is a bleak, realistic take at Harry low life. Realism above all: magic won't save you from the gritty horror of the real world.
They hired this charming fellow, Bruno Dumont, for the series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Vie_de_Jésus

Well in fact the series will be done by this pack of French realisators

His often polarizing work has been connected to a recent French cinéma du corps/body of cinema, encompassing contemporary films by Claire Denis, Marina de Van, Gaspar Noé, Diane Bertrand, and François Ozon, among others. According to Tim Palmer, this trajectory includes a focus on states of corporeality in and of themselves, independent of narrative exposition or character psychology.[4] In a more pejorative vein, James Quandt has also talked of some of this group of filmmakers, as the so-called New French Extremity.[5]

Imagine the Harry Potter movies reworked by that charming company. Nitty-gritty, dark. Ugly.

My Dearest Sir,

I salute you for your eminent courage to, against all commercial/market forces, even dare to put Harry Potter and low life together in a single sentence.

My very best wishes,

Martin

Last edited:
this is admittedly one spectator sport I indulge in watching :cool:.
Better than F1, these days. Bit hard to explain this to the neighbours, though.

I started watching F1 in 1993, last year of the Prost Senna rivalry.

I stopped watching around 2001, when Hakkinen, last opposition standing to Schumacher insane domination, retired. I hated Schumacher first time I saw him. Since 2013 however I stopped, and I pity him. I'm not a monster, his fate is perhaps as horrible as Senna. Makes one thinks.
Last time F1 got me excited was this - August 2000. Hakkinen daring move, I often think about Zonta in the middle, what a great WTF moment he must have had. Also he must have been pretty tight-assed for a few second, as he hold the F1 2000 championship between his hands, or close. "Must drive straight, must not move, must not screw up."

The way Hakkinen, in a split second, makes his move and zaps two cars for the price of one... pure genius. A 100% Michel Vaillant moment.

Last edited:
Spa 1998 was also a memorable one. The wreck at the start; also the day David Coulthard turned Benny Hill. He'd better have stayed at home or caught the flu, really.

Same guy triggered the wreck at the start, then eliminated Schumacher overlapping him - as if he wanted to help Hakkinen, his team mate and Schumacher rival for the championship. A VERY pissed off Schumacher briefly got a Tuco Salamanca moment (or Nigel Mansell, you get the point) shouting at Coulthard "DID YOU TRIED TO KILL ME ???!"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02s_g5AUUE

Two third of the starting grid (14 / 21, or close) crashing into oblivion. A few pilots and teams just had to give up that race: not enough replacement cars !

Best way of summarizing that one: let's just spoof Obi Wan Kenobi "I felt a great disturbance in Formula One; as if a few millions of dollars suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly burned"

Last edited:
The finale of the 2021 F1 season was entertaining, after a long domination of F1 by Mercedes. Lately, things have become very predictable at the top. Again. Still, nice to see Alonso showing up among the best. I hope he wins a race soon.

Actually, that's where you're wrong - I'm not irritated by it at all :D, because I really, honestly, seriously, COULD. NOT. CARE. LESS. about mindless BS hoodoowoodoo fairydust drivel like that ;).

View attachment 701266
Oh you betcha ;). It never ceases to amaze me how some/many people can get all riled up about all sorts of first world non-issues, especially of the pop-culture variety, but yet there is this undeniable fascination about watching things spectacularly go off the rails :). While I abhor popcorn, this is admittedly one spectator sport I'd indulge in watching :cool:, even on this esteemed forum. Speaking of sports, if you would like to stimulate an animated discussion in one of them thar so-called sports bars, I would whole-heartedly recommend to casually ask the following question to a total stranger: "Say, is Cassius Clay still swimming as a quarterback for the Anaheim Red Cardinals?" I've never tried it myself, because I don't frequent sports bars, but I'd dearly love to learn about the effects of doing so...

Ahem. Shortly after lauinch, the internet was taken over by people with little self-control and the Official Accusers (TM). In the past, one idiot ranting to his buddies was as far as it went. Today, one idiot ranting on the internet ruins the internet for everybody. Worse, other idiots discover that idiot and The Idiot Club (TM) rants and rants and rants. because they like ranting.

View attachment 701266

A wild guess here but missing teeth and a broken jaw come to mind.

Which reminds me. I was at a gaming convention and a large, elaborate piece of plywood was set over a few tables. Everyone had rulers and replica World War 2 tanks. They were deadly serious about this wargame. Lo and behold, I saunter by, misidentify one of the German tanks, and get a look that I translated as: "We won't kill him this time. He's young. We've never seen him before." I promptly exited, stage left.

Deviate from canon and I won't bother watching.
I don't mind if it improves the story.

Before doing the Marvel superhero movies, a man named Kevin Feige convinced a clueless creative staff to read the actual comics. Of course, all Disney cares about is money, followed by a thin coating of creativity. He also pointed out that there is a fan base built on decades of canon. If they don't know what that canon is they will lose ticket sales. At that point, certain important people listened.

And if it has some decent explanation. Look at Star Trek: they massively changed the canon for The Motion Picture by changing the design of the Enterprise. The Enterprise was changed IRL because the producers wanted a snazzier Neato Keen New And Improved Design. But in the in-universe explanation, they had a perfectly fair "it went in for a massive overhaul and refit."

But then STD/SNW changed the design of the Enterprise for much the same "because we wanted to" reason, but did not - and in fact can not - explain the changes in-universe. Which is dumb, because the Enterprise could have *easily* retained the canonical design and yet been made to look fully modern and awesome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHvhuNXvV0

And if it has some decent explanation. Look at Star Trek: they massively changed the canon for The Motion Picture by changing the design of the Enterprise. The Enterprise was changed IRL because the producers wanted a snazzier Neato Keen New And Improved Design. But in the in-universe explanation, they had a perfectly fair "it went in for a massive overhaul and refit."

But then STD/SNW changed the design of the Enterprise for much the same "because we wanted to" reason, but did not - and in fact can not - explain the changes in-universe. Which is dumb, because the Enterprise could have *easily* retained the canonical design and yet been made to look fully modern and awesome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHvhuNXvV0

I study industrial design, real and imagined. Before the original Star Trek, rocket ships were tubes with a pointed end and flame coming out of the other, with few exceptions. When I first saw the Enterprise I was amazed. It looked right. And the explanations for all of the related technology seemed right. It was plausible. The rest of the tech, human and alien, also seemed right. My first look at a Klingon ship saw a plausible design that fit the overall design pattern - simple, elegant, menacing. This level of design consistency is very important.

Unfortunately, creatives are not at the top of the ladder in Hollywood. Producers are. Some have a little creativity, many don't. But since they are funding the TV show or movie, they get the final say. They look at large sheets of paper called storyboards. These are black and white comics that show key scenes before any camera work is done. As they go through these, the first comment for scenes that show elaborate detail is: How much is this scene going to cost me? This can be followed by an order to cut out certain details. In the case of ship design, it can boil down to personal taste or an order to "upgrade" a perfectly good design or an order to 'give me something new.'

Keep in mind, to Hollywood, movies are made for 3 types of audiences:

1) The average moviegoer who may never have seen a previous Star Trek movie or TV show.

2) The casual viewer who has seen some previous Star Trek but cares little about canon.

3) The nutballs who live and die by canon, and if something has been changed for no good reason, results in rants and raves on the internet...

Doing good vehicle and spaceship design is hard and requires a lot of skill and knowledge. I scan various sites for good SF design and most of it is bad to really bad. A friend bought a $200 Ralph McQuarrie book that showcased his design work for Star Wars. First, everything about the book itself was impeccable - the printing, the binding. A look at McQuarrie's background reveals a few things.

"McQuarrie initially worked for a dentistry firm, illustrating teeth and equipment,[1] before working as an Artist and Preliminary Design Illustrator for the Boeing Company, where he drew diagrams for a manual on constructing the 747 Jumbo Jet, as well as designing film posters and animating CBS News' coverage of the Apollo space program at the three-man company Reel Three.[2][3] While there, McQuarrie was asked by Hal Barwood to produce some illustrations for a film project he and Matthew Robbins were starting.[2][3]"

Funny to think that in french "canon" is the word for "gun" as in "artillery gun" - "canon de 75, modèle 1897". It is kind of appropriate to qualify hardboiled fans sticking to their... guns (ha ha ha).

Yet the *other* canon, the very one discussed here, also exists - I remember as a very bored kid at catholic mass, reading it in the church book "canon romain" which meant "roman canon Gospel" - but of course to me it became "roman artillery gun"
And I was joking "no surprise the roman bet the shit out of Vercingetorix and Gauls and all the other barbarians across Europe and Africa: they had artillery guns more than a millenia before the rest of the world...

I'll get my coat, back to lurking mode...

3) The nutballs who live and die by canon, and if something has been changed for no good reason, results in rants and raves on the internet...

"Nutballs?" You mean people who would be annoyed if the next production of "Hamlet" turned the main character into, say, an allegory for Donald Trump (or for Joe Biden or Sadiq Khan or Putin or any other politician you'd like/hate) who is dead certain of his course and emerges at the end utterly victorious? Or a production of "Tom Sawyer" that eliminated Jim and all references to slavery?

Canon matters, just as culture does. I look forward to your biopic of Mohammad starring Dylan Mulvaney.

"Nutballs?" You mean people who would be annoyed if the next production of "Hamlet" turned the main character into, say, an allegory for Donald Trump (or for Joe Biden or Sadiq Khan or Putin or any other politician you'd like/hate) who is dead certain of his course and emerges at the end utterly victorious? Or a production of "Tom Sawyer" that eliminated Jim and all references to slavery?

Canon matters, just as culture does. I look forward to your biopic of Mohammad starring Dylan Mulvaney.

Very funny. I think you know I was using the common idea that those who strictly adhere to canon, especially for fictional shows like Star Trek, are not your average laid-back American. "C'mon man. It's just a TV show. What are you so worked up about?" There really are people who might - maybe - consider Hamlet to fall under the category of culture, assuming they've even heard of it. And who would dismiss Star Trek as not being worthy of being added to the category of culture.

As I wrote earlier, I am a purist. I also understand the value of culture, the meaning of cultural heritage and why they - meaning them - should not add a lot a lot of black people to a purely English story filled exclusively with the pale complected.

Get this. I recently read that certain stories should no longer be told where the man rescues the woman. It's sexist, according to them. As opposed to the reality that there are gentlemen out there. Who would risk life and limb for some fair maiden. But alas, they have taken over television and seek to change reality into their idea of reality. Because it suits them. They own everything, so why not?

Canon does matter.

Culture and cultural heritage should be preserved without modification.

But then STD/SNW Which is dumb, because the Enterprise could have *easily* retained the canonical design and yet been made to look fully modern and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHvhuNXvV0

I study industrial design, real and imagined. Before the original Star Trek, rocket ships were tubes with a pointed end and flame coming out of the other, with few exceptions. When I first saw the Enterprise I was amazed. It looked right. And the explanations for all of the related technology seemed right. It was plausible. Doing good vehicle and spaceship design is hard and requires a lot of skill and knowledge. I scan various sites for good SF design and most of it is bad to really bad. McQuarrie was asked by Hal Barwood to produce some illustrations for a film project he and Matthew Robbins were starting.[2][3]"
One of the better fan attempts:

Some go for a muscular look:

Others the spirit of the age;

I often wonder what the full sized PLANET OF THE TITANS Enterprise would have been;

View: https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1033906822342696961

OTOY scanned one of the study models at least

View: https://twitter.com/TheSpaceshipper/status/1522494198657822720

Canon does matter.
I thought about making a gratuitous Nikon joke here, but that's where the long knives come out. I'll retreat to my corner and nuke some more popcorn. Carry on as you were. Smoke'm if you gott'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.