Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Space Projects / Re: Space Station Concepts
« Last post by Arjen on Today at 01:54:06 am »
Early Saturn-launched space station artwork, from a Boeing tweet today:

https://twitter.com/boeingspace/status/1074717198671740930?s=21
I don't have a twitter-account. I saved the images by left-clicking on the appropriate area in the twitter-message:
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Various DFS projects
« Last post by newsdeskdan on Today at 01:52:39 am »
DFS Jabo mit Lorinantrieb - March 1944.
Space Projects / Re: Space Station Concepts
« Last post by pometablava on Yesterday at 11:53:41 pm »
George,

Could you please attach the picture here?. Not everyone has an account in Twitter or Facebook and any link send us to "please sign here" page :-)
Military / Re: Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank & Ultra-Light Vehicles
« Last post by Moose on Yesterday at 11:35:54 pm »
BAE and GDLS selected for MPF prototype phase.
Both Michigan-based General Dynamics Land Systems and BAE Systems will have the next 14 months to build and begin delivering 12 prototypes of the Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle.

BAE Systems will build an M8 Buford Armored Gun System with new capabilities and components.

GD submitted an offering that puts a version of its latest Abrams turret together with a chassis that uses past work on the United Kingdom’s AJAX program.
A source claimed Griffin III is based on AJAX. So MPF and OMFV would potentially be the same vehicle?
They would be related, but not the same. When GDLS discussed Griffin I, they talked about changes such as shortening and lightening the chassis compared to Ajax. They haven't gone into much detail on Griffin II's changes compared to I, so it could be more common to the Ajax or their OMFV bid than version 1. But it would still be configured without the crew compartment and with the turret ring pushed back further to the rear of the hull than either Ajax or Griffin III. Not to mention, all 3 use different it turrets with different guns. It does seem likely that they're pursuing as much commonality as they can, but it wouldn't be accurate to call them "the same vehicle" based on the information we have now.
The Bar / Re: Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD)
« Last post by bobbymike on Yesterday at 11:32:56 pm »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2018/12/14/air-force-ballistic-missile-becomes-a-test-case-for-trump-industrial-strategy/#5f2ac4f67757

In September the White House released a long-awaited interagency study documenting the decline of the U.S. defense industrial base. It found that the number of companies capable of building essential combat systems had withered to only one or two in many cases, and that even when multiple domestic sources were still available, they often faced “single points of failure” in their supply chains.

The study identified government contracting behavior as a key factor contributing to industrial decay. In recent months, I have written pieces describing how the Army often exhibits little concern for industrial-base impacts in its spending decisions. Today’s piece is about the Air Force, and how it can either help or harm the defense industrial base depending on how it buys the nation’s next intercontinental ballistic missile.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: CAC Postwar Projects
« Last post by Basilisk on Yesterday at 11:18:28 pm »
Is anyone able to find a copy of the following:

Title   Australian Military Experimental and Prototype Aircraft
Author   Raymond Deeb
Publisher   Lulu Enterprises Incorporated, 2006
ISBN   1411648900, 9781411648906
Length   47 pages

Title   Military Aircraft, Designed and Built in Australia
Author   Raymond Deeb
Publisher   Lulu Enterprises Incorporated, 2006
ISBN   141165174X, 9781411651746
Length   53 pages

Well I know an author with that name published a book on the Australian cruiser tank, it is comically bad, with bits of text cut and pasted from the web. Perth military modelling has a review of it. I'd expect more of the same for those two.
S. D. M. Carpenter, Genesis of Antimony, 2018

United Kingdom

HMS Gwendolen
'Gunboat' class not specified
Operates on Lake Nyasa.

HMS Halberd
'Destroyer', class not specified
3 x 4 inch
No other details provided.

HMS Midas
M Class (WWI) Destroyer
Details as per the real ships
Explicitly identified as such by the author.

HMS Spitfire
Acasta Class Destroyer
Real ship, details as in service.

HMS Archer
Acheron Class Destroyer

Unnamed
L Class (WWI) Destroyer
Explicitly identified as such by the author,

HMS St Andrews
Town/Weymouth Class Cruiser
Explicitly identified as such by the author.

HMS Bristol
Town/Bristol Class Cruiser

HMS Fearless
Active Class Cruiser

HMS Goliath
Canopus Class Battleship

Germany

SMS Aachen
Dresden Class Cruiser
Details as per the real ships.
Fitted with the 'Steinweiss Device' a primitive form of radar with a detection range of at least 50km (27 nautical miles), the rotating antenna (Mounted at the top of the Mainmast.) is described as looking like "...a set of bed springs set on it's side...".

SMS Hermann von Wissman
'Gunboat' class not specified
Armament: 1 x 3pdr (fwd), 1x 50mm SK/L40 (Aft), 2 x 'Maxim Guns'
No other details provided.
Operates on Lake Nyasa

Unnamed
Kolberg Class Cruiser
Details as per the real ships.

Plot summary: It is the early years of WWI (The story is set between 18 November 1914 and 23 September 1915.), one German cruiser, while run to ground in an African river is proving a tough nut to crack with it's uncanny ability to evade intercepting warships. So a plan is put in motion to find out her secret.

Note: The saga of the SMS Königsberg in the Rufiji delta inspired at least one other author, Wilbur Smith, whose novel 'Shout at the Devil' (1968) was filmed in 1976.

The basic idea of radar was well known before WWI, but the problem that no one was able to solve until after that conflict was how to reliably determine range to target.
Aerospace / Re: Blue Origin and New Shephard RLV
« Last post by martinbayer on Yesterday at 09:40:25 pm »
10 flights in 3 years... Why so slow? money can't be an issue, ont with bezos...

Hello Archibald,

I really believe he is taking it slow because he is smart, calculating (and, being an aerospace engineer myself, I consider that a definite virtue ;D), and fairly risk averse. Unlike some other ego driven billionaire maniac rocket jockeys that shall not be named here and constantly feel the need to prove themselves in more or less meaningful headline grabbing stunts like building ad hoc submarines for cave rescues, he really adheres to his motto "gradatim ferociter", i.e. 'step by step, ferociously' - a very European attitude, if I might say so as a German myself ;D. If I had to guess, he simply really wants to make sure his system works reliably before he puts it all out and risks getting egg on his face, metaphorically speaking...

Wishing him all the very best of luck,

Martin
Military / Re: Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank & Ultra-Light Vehicles
« Last post by jsport on Yesterday at 09:03:09 pm »
BAE and GDLS selected for MPF prototype phase.
Both Michigan-based General Dynamics Land Systems and BAE Systems will have the next 14 months to build and begin delivering 12 prototypes of the Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle.

BAE Systems will build an M8 Buford Armored Gun System with new capabilities and components.

GD submitted an offering that puts a version of its latest Abrams turret together with a chassis that uses past work on the United Kingdom’s AJAX program.
A source claimed Griffin III is based on AJAX. So MPF and OMFV would potentially be the same vehicle?
The Bar / Re: Cosworth Valkyrie 1000Hp Supercar Engine
« Last post by Richard N on Yesterday at 06:51:32 pm »
I fully get that this is not a car for the common people.  Usually supercars have some quality of style that makes even those who could never afford one desire it just on looks and lines.  Can anyone say they got their money's worth when the car comes out looking like this thing.  Really, with that high upper lip line it looks like they took cues from the face of Futurama's Phillip J. Fry and smeared them on an unlucky car.  That lowrider tea tray isn't going to have a good time when it meets up with a piece of debris taller than a squirrel.  I've unavoidably encountered big pieces of retread and a dog sized raccoon that did a lot of damage and would clean this off in a second. 

Here are a couple of my style favorites from back when I was driving my 73 Sports Bug:  The Lancia Stratos and the Isdera Imperator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10