Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Excellent book with good coverage of all present and near-present programs worldwide.
thanks!!!!! :)
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: Luftwaffe: Secret Wings of the Third Reich
« Last post by newsdeskdan on December 08, 2017, 12:19:36 am »
I have to say your are doing an excellent job with the past few books you've released.  Good content with proper context, unlike most of the late war books on the market. Reproductions of original plans is much appreciated as well.

Also is that a bit of a 309 sideview on the intro page on the border of drawings? Any plans on covering the wartime piston projects?

Thanks and yes it is. Here is the info panel from the same drawing (attached). No plans for a dedicated piston projects title at present. The research goes on.
« Last post by sienar on December 07, 2017, 07:24:06 pm »
I have to say your are doing an excellent job with the past few books you've released.  Good content with proper context, unlike most of the late war books on the market. Reproductions of original plans is much appreciated as well.

Also is that a bit of a 309 sideview on the intro page on the border of drawings? Any plans on covering the wartime piston projects?
Excellent book with good coverage of all present and near-present programs worldwide.
« Last post by newsdeskdan on December 07, 2017, 03:14:21 pm »
Hi

Masters, whoever he is/was, got it wrong. That's the P 211.02, rather than the P 210.02. The P 210 was tailless, the P 211.01-01 was swept wings and conventional tail, the P 211.01-02 was constant chord wings but a twin tail, then the P 211.02 was constant chord wings and a conventional tail fin. The B&V Volksjager project seems to have got simpler and simpler from the radical layout P 210 to the very straightforward P 211.02.
« Last post by Justo Miranda on December 07, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »
Hi
« Last post by newsdeskdan on December 07, 2017, 11:41:14 am »
What do you suppose the chances are that David Masters II is also a pen-name...?

Fairly small. Authors of serious publications seldom use pen-names. You would be more likely to find some pulp fiction peddler called Topman Wellbeloved or whatever to be a pen-name of our David Masters.
Oh.... ;)

(subtle etymological joke there, sorry)

Odd how David Masters II never wrote anything else and next to nothing is known about him - even in association with Jane's. I would be tempted to place him in the same category as the anonymous author of another 'catch-all' projects tome - Secret German Aircraft Projects of 1945: Based on British Air Intelligence Reports, 1945-46 from Toros Publishing. Or Galapagos Publishing, depending on which version you get.
« Last post by steelpillow on December 07, 2017, 11:26:43 am »
What do you suppose the chances are that David Masters II is also a pen-name...?

Fairly small. Authors of serious publications seldom use pen-names. You would be more likely to find some pulp fiction peddler called Topman Wellbeloved or whatever to be a pen-name of our David Masters.
Oh.... ;)

(subtle etymological joke there, sorry)
« Last post by newsdeskdan on December 07, 2017, 10:53:24 am »
Be that as it may, I modified my earlier response to enquire after your knowledge of David Masters. I do not have his (1983, apparently) book. Do you know anything about him as an author? I only ask because internet searches for 'author David Masters' turn up some interesting results.

Library Thing reckons those are not the David Masters you are looking for: https://www.librarything.com/author/mastersdavid

His book is published by Jane's, which ought to lend some credibility, and at the back he does give some clues as to his sources; "The contents of this book have been complied over a number of years from a vast number of major and minor references." He then lists some nine major documents, including books by the likes of Green or Novarra, and miscellaneous stuff such as A.I.2(G) Report No. 2383 to the Air Reserve Gazette. All in all, he does not appear to have been particularly selective - he gives credence to several flying saucer tall tales with no more qualification than the "multiple sources say" variety - so in this respect I treat it as a source book of stories to bear in mind until one can check them out, nothing more. I also find it a very useful quick-finder, having all the projects illustrated and listed by manufacturer.

Mmm. The 'first' David Masters appears to have been a pen-name associated with boys' own type titles. What do you suppose the chances are that David Masters II is also a pen-name...?
« Last post by steelpillow on December 07, 2017, 07:57:10 am »
Be that as it may, I modified my earlier response to enquire after your knowledge of David Masters. I do not have his (1983, apparently) book. Do you know anything about him as an author? I only ask because internet searches for 'author David Masters' turn up some interesting results.

Library Thing reckons those are not the David Masters you are looking for: https://www.librarything.com/author/mastersdavid

His book is published by Jane's, which ought to lend some credibility, and at the back he does give some clues as to his sources; "The contents of this book have been complied over a number of years from a vast number of major and minor references." He then lists some nine major documents, including books by the likes of Green or Novarra, and miscellaneous stuff such as A.I.2(G) Report No. 2383 to the Air Reserve Gazette. All in all, he does not appear to have been particularly selective - he gives credence to several flying saucer tall tales with no more qualification than the "multiple sources say" variety - so in this respect I treat it as a source book of stories to bear in mind until one can check them out, nothing more. I also find it a very useful quick-finder, having all the projects illustrated and listed by manufacturer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10