Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Had this a few weeks and found it a little confusing and disappointing.

Good bits - coverage of F8U-3, Spey proposal and changes required, area ruling or "coking"debate, attack proposals.

Less good bits - confusion as to variants and general chronology caused by way book structured but perhaps that's just me.

Agreed to an extent - the chapter breakdown by type does confuse the chronology a bit. I faced something similar with my P.1121 book as there was overlap between chapters, but it was a simpler tale to tell.

Too many photos of the same aircraft/same photo session e.g. How many pics. of trying to shove a Crusader into a C-124 do we need? I'd hazard one). Same goes for the Philippine aircraft and some other topics - too many which is unusual.

Sometimes I differ on this with modeller friends who like different angles on the same aircraft for modelling purposes. I agree the specific C-124 example could have been one page not two, but it didn't bother me.

Downright annoying - the use of "Marta" instead of MATRA throughout the French section.

This is probably an editing issue which should have been picked up in proofreading. Sadly, publishers often neglect editing and proofing to save costs on low margin niche books.

Unforgivable - "Purely Wholesome"(?) for "Youthly Puresome!

This one passed me by as I had no idea of the reference.

I don't feel these things ruin the book, but there is a trend towards more obvious errors. I found lots of layout and spelling errors in the YF-23 book by Paul Metz, but they didn't ruin the book.

I will put it out there though - if you want me to proofread an aircraft book, I will do it for free for any forum member. I have good general aviation knowledge (especially past-war) and a 1st class Honours degree in English. I would rather see less errors in published books!
Had this a few weeks and found it a little confusing and disappointing.

Good bits - coverage of F8U-3, Spey proposal and changes required, area ruling or "coking"debate, attack proposals.

Less good bits - confusion as to variants and general chronology caused by way book structured but perhaps that's just me. Too many photos of the same aircraft/same photo session e.g. How many pics. of trying to shove a Crusader into a C-124 do we need? I'd hazard one). Same goes for the Philippine aircraft and some other topics - too many which is unusual.

Downright annoying - the use of "Marta" instead of MATRA throughout the French section.

Unforgivable - "Purely Wholesome"(?) for "Youthly Puresome!

Interesting Websites / Re: Chinook The Legacy of Tandem Rotor Helicopters
« Last post by hesham on November 14, 2017, 02:06:09 pm »
Thank you my dear Robin.
« Last post by robunos on November 14, 2017, 09:05:29 am »
My dear Robunos,

in your PDF,I found this Info about Model-164,is that meaning Boeing-Vertol Model-164 ?.

No, it means that 164 CH-47A helicopters, model V.114/114A, were rebuilt into CH-47D versions, model V.145 . . .

cheers,
          Robin.
« Last post by hesham on November 14, 2017, 06:58:57 am »
My dear Robunos,

in your PDF,I found this Info about Model-164,is that meaning Boeing-Vertol Model-164 ?.
Interesting Websites / Re: Aviation Art by Gerald Asher
« Last post by Grey Havoc on November 13, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Indeed!
My copy arrived "down under".

Looks really great, lots of nice unbuilt version drawings, great photos well reproduced, and authoritative text well-written. Looking forward to reading.
Interesting Websites / Chinook The Legacy of Tandem Rotor Helicopters
« Last post by robunos on November 12, 2017, 03:15:03 pm »
Not sure if this should go here, or in 'Bookshelf and Marketplace' . . .

Chinook The Legacy of Tandem Rotor Helicopters

http://www.147thhillclimbers.org/hill_site/pdf_file/Chinook%20Legacy-January%202014.pdf

I found this elsewhere online, but have lost the original link, this is the same document.

cheers,
          Robin.
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: "The Pioneers of Stealth" by John M. Griffin
« Last post by AeroFranz on November 12, 2017, 01:38:57 pm »
I got an update from a friend:
"I don't know the status of the book. As this point, it is only available to actual members of the "Pioneers of Stealth". I pre-ordered two copies about a year ago when it was "in work".  I can send John an email and ask. He may want to make all the fixes, and publish a second edition. He really wanted the book available for the POS reunion this year, I think that is why there are so many errors."

The errors he's referring to are typos and mislabeling of pictures. It was pretty obvious that the book- maybe because it's self-published and intended for a restricted audience - didn't go through an extensive proof-read. It comes with an errata sheet. 
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: "The Pioneers of Stealth" by John M. Griffin
« Last post by Flyaway on November 12, 2017, 01:36:27 pm »
I am assuming this is going to be pretty difficult if not impossible to get in the UK. Absolutely no sign of it on Amazon UK.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10