Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Breguet 941 STOL and related projects
« Last post by Dynoman on Today at 12:16:13 pm »
JC, will you be including the US airline demonstration flights of the MD-188 version?
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Mirage IIIK
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:07:15 pm »
Also - Mirage IVK was proposed in 1965, the same year as the IIIK drawing.
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 11:59:15 am »
The Spey-engined Mirage IV (as alternative to the F-111 to replace the cancelled TSR.2) for the UK was designated IVK.

It is most logical to propose (in lieu of further information) that the IIIK was also proposed to the UK (and Spey-powered to boot). Makes more sense than New Zealand.
The Bar / Re: Nuclear Weapons - Discussion.
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 11:52:18 am »
The picture you posted perhaps reveals another deeper motivation, all those countries have regular military parades and nothing looks more impressive than having a leader basking in glory as a convoy of multi-wheeled missile launchers rumbles past in plain sight of your population.

Ensiloed missiles typically have wheeled transporter erectors; the Russians used to
roll those around the parade routes.

Yep.  Don't need mobile ICBMs to parade ICBMs through Red Square.
Hello Boys and Girls

you maybe interested to know my book on the Br 94 series is planned for 2018 at Artipresse. I had a mock-up cover at Telford. There will be a lot of new material coming from interview with pilots from CEAM and E.T. 03.062. I have not been able to circonstantiate the floatplane version from original Breguet material so I am still undecided as to wether to include it or not.
Coverage will begins with the Br 940.01 of  1954 to the last flight of the type on 18 july 1974.

JCC
The Bar / Re: Nuclear Weapons - Discussion.
« Last post by marauder2048 on Today at 11:44:37 am »
The picture you posted perhaps reveals another deeper motivation, all those countries have regular military parades and nothing looks more impressive than having a leader basking in glory as a convoy of multi-wheeled missile launchers rumbles past in plain sight of your population.

Ensiloed missiles typically have wheeled transporter erectors; the Russians used to
roll those around the parade routes.

A few holes in the ground are much less easy to show off to your neighbours and tax-paying population.

Which is funny given that one of the (sometimes unstated) reasons for retaining silo-based ICBMs
is the economic dislocation that would be caused by the decommissioning of an ICBM wing.
« Last post by JC Carbonel on Today at 11:34:41 am »
The K designation mistified me  (and my contact at Dassault) as well. the blueprint came direct from Dassault's vaults and there was no brochure to go with it. Considering previous Dassault designation ("O for Ostralia"), I suggested K for Kiwi (NZ) , Korea or Kuwait. New Zealand , coming after "Ostralia", seemed very plausible to me. The aircraft did not look like a fighter for me, more of an Anti-Shipping or Strike aircraft.

JCC
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Mirage IV Projects
« Last post by JC Carbonel on Today at 11:26:14 am »
The German connection is new to me. At that time France tried to sell its aircraft to Germany, both for business and also as European integration (remember that De Gaulle wanted to keep France and hence Europe independant from the States. So France tried to sell Trident (no success), Breguet Taon (Fiat won), Mirage III (no success), Transall (success), Noratlas (success), Fouga Magister (success), Atlantic (success). I was not aware of Mirage IV R but I am not surprised. this is most intersting.

JCC
excuse me is that on top is a Me 262 A-2a/U2(V555) bomber version ?
if yes, this drawing show were the two MK 108 are installed in it's fuselage !

I suspect those are alternative noses on the Me-262...
The Bar / Re: Belgium's quest to replace their F-16 fleet
« Last post by kitnut617 on Today at 10:17:42 am »
It didn't hurt that the 747 was originally designed as military freighter (lost to the C-5 Galaxy), hence the swing-up nose and raised flight deck.

Erm! the Boeing offering to the XC-X was this below, nothing like the 747 configuration
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10