Register here

Author Topic: Big Gun submarines  (Read 22254 times)

Offline Grey Havoc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • The path not taken.
Re: Big Gun submarines
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:51 am »
How is your mastery of the beatiful italian language? Please read:

http://www.marina.difesa.it/conosciamoci/editoria/marivista/Documents/2011/12_dicembre/breve_storia_del_sommergibile_cannoniere.pdf

Any appreciation of artillery submarines would be extremely incomplete if the german examples (and there are plenty) weren`t mentioned. Mind especially pages 53 to 58, with a proposed U-Kreuzer (more than 7000 tons) with two single turrets, each with a 210mm cannon. It stemmed from Professor Oswald Flamm who, besides submarines, designed torpedos. It was to have a trilobed hull, a simplification of it (lazy 8) being present in the japanese I-400.

There was also another U-Kreuzer (Type XI) designed around 1937-38, with two twin turrets utilizing the 12.7 cm/45 SK C/34 gun (5 inch, or 127mm). Six torpedo tubes, four forward and two rear. Was intended to be able to carry a single Ar 231 spotter aircraft. Compliment 110 crew and officers. Four were ordered from the AG Weser yard in Bremen in early 1939, but only one (U-112) had been laid down at the outbreak of WWII and the rest were shelved. U-112's fate is uncertain, though there have been unconfirmed reports that she was requisitioned by & completed for the Sicherheitsdienst for use in cloak and dagger operations.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline airman

• my blogs
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 12:38:20 pm »
The Dutch submarine concept of 1943-1944 about a 1,125 tons submarine armed with 2 cannon of 2,4 inch
all technical data on

http://www.hisutton.com/Dutch_WW2_Subs.html
writers , bloggers , content-curators ,  music composer and passionate of militaria and uchronia

Offline covert_shores

• Research + illustration
    • COVERT SHORES
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 05:10:55 am »
Thanks for the reference to my site!

Yes, what I think is most interesting about the Dutch designs is a) triple-hull b) omission of Dutch snort mast. By then big gun subs were less credible anyway
COVERT SHORES: www.hisutton.com