Register here

Author Topic: NSSN Virginia-class - current status and future  (Read 71180 times)

Offline Triton

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
NSSN Virginia-class - current status and future
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
Were there any other concepts for the NSSN before the Virginia-class configuration was approved?

Offline Just call me Ray

Re: NSSN Virginia-class - current status and future
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:47:00 am »
Wow, someone's been posting a lot!

There were a lot of concepts for NSSN. A few of them tried for the more conventional approach, similar to what eventually became the Virginia. Some of them had a hull shape more in common with Russian designs, with the smoothed-over sail. A few others were more artists' conjecturals more than anything else with bizarre, "super-hydrodynamic" shapes and equipped with its own mini-fleet of seagoing unmanned vehicles.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »
Wow, someone's been posting a lot!

There were a lot of concepts for NSSN. A few of them tried for the more conventional approach, similar to what eventually became the Virginia. Some of them had a hull shape more in common with Russian designs, with the smoothed-over sail. A few others were more artists' conjecturals more than anything else with bizarre, "super-hydrodynamic" shapes and equipped with its own mini-fleet of seagoing unmanned vehicles.

Thanks for the response. I recently discovered this web site and had many questions.  :) Where might I find information about the NSSN concepts?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:37:26 pm by Triton »

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:10 pm »
PopSi and PopMech had some articles, but I cannot recall the specific issues.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:09 am »

The attached pic is taken from a cover of the Popsi magazine.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:27:11 am by fightingirish »
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:27:45 pm »
I think "All Hands" magazine ran a picture like that back then. I'll have to see if I still have it.

Moonbat
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 03:22:08 pm »
Thank you fightingirish, whatever would we do without Popular Science magazine.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:02:27 pm by Triton »

Offline TomS

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »
I'm fairly sure that's not actually a pre-NSSN concept, but rather a concept for the Advanced Sail, which may show up in later years production of the  Virginia class.

For a survey of several other NSSN successor designs proposed back around 2002, see this PDF of an article from International Defense Review:

http://www.kentaurus.com/downloads/IDRSub.pdf

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:15 am »
The Block III Virginia-class submarines which will feature a revised bow, including some technology from Ohio class SSGN's.

Block III bow mods
(click to view full)
Source: Defense Industry Daily - Virginia Block III: The Revised Bow - 21-Dec-2008 13:28 EST
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:30 am »
I have to wonder if a Virginia can be used as an SSBN in that manner. I doubt a Trident would fit, but a purpose-designed missile would.

Offline Demon Lord Razgriz

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »
I've looked all over and I can not find the US alphanumerical designation of the VLS system used in the Virginia-Class SSN. Does anyone here have a clue as to what it is?

Offline F-14D

• I really did change my personal text
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:20:30 pm »
I've looked all over and I can not find the US alphanumerical designation of the VLS system used in the Virginia-Class SSN. Does anyone here have a clue as to what it is?

Unlike the Mk 41 designation for surface ship VLS, I don't believe there is a numerical designation for sub use.  They seem to simply be referred to as "Submarine VLS"  or "VLS tubes", because they're basically just tubes.

Starting with SSN 784 the 12 tubes of the previous VLS will be replaced by two of what's called the "Virginia Payload Tube".  This is very similar to the tubes in the Ohio SSGNs except that each tube will house six rather than seven missiles (the center will now house an access tube).   The VPT's can be loaded with modular systems (called canisters),  which will allow greater versatility relative to the pure VLS.  Don't know if this will have a designator. 

Offline Demon Lord Razgriz

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 08:54:42 am »
So the US Military has given up a chance to add a alphanumerical designation to a weapons system!?! :o

I never thought that could happen with their love of alphanumerical designation!

Offline F-14D

• I really did change my personal text
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:13:49 am »
So the US Military has given up a chance to add a alphanumerical designation to a weapons system!?! :o

I never thought that could happen with their love of alphanumerical designation!

Since the Virginia VPT is so unique (unlike the Mk41 which was deployed on a variety of platforms and so basic, maybe they didn't thing a designator was necessary?  Now, one wonders if the canisters might get designators. 

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »
Virginia-class Batch 3 / Block IV