Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich

newsdeskdan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The fourth in my Luftwaffe series.

Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich
by Dan Sharp

Price: £6.99 in the UK. It's gone to press and should be out towards the back end of May.
If you've seen the 'unknown' chapters of my previous Luftwaffe titles, this is essentially a whole publication devoted to that.
Featuring contributions from forum members (alphabetical order): CiTrus90, Geist, Hamzalippischh, Skyraider3D and Zizi6785.

Contents:

Arado ‘Dreieck’
Arado ÜS-Flugzeug
Arado E 208
Arado Ar 233
Blohm & Voss BV 138 projects, P 81, P 84, P 85, P 86, P 94, P 110, P 111, P 112, P 144, P 145 and BV 238 Seefernaufklärer, Dornier P 93/Do 214 and P 173/Do 216, Heinkel He 120
Dornier P 209, P 215, P 231, P 232, P 238, P 252, P 254, P 256 and triple jet fighter
Dornier P 144, P 149, P 150, P 151, P 153, P 155, P 222, P 223, Do 317 and Do 417
DVL jet fighter
Focke-Wulf Grosstransporter
Gotha P-60.007
Gotha oddities
Guided weapons
Heinkel P 1076
Henschel P 75, P 87, P 90, P 108, P 122, P 130, P 135, P 136 and Hs 132
Junkers EF 116
Lippisch P 15 Diana
Messerschmitt Me 109 Zw, Me 309 Zw and Me 609
Messerschmitt Me 163 with canards
Messerschmitt P 1079
Messerschmitt Schnellstflugzeug
Zippermayr’s Pfeil Flugzeug
Zeppelin (FGZ) pulsejet fighter
And projects we only know about from text descriptions

Attachments

• Luftwaffe Secret Designs.jpeg
    Luftwaffe Secret Designs.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 838
;D
I think this will be one of the best books on the luft46 subject!

Hi! Great News. I will of course buy it. Do you have a release date?

Ah, now I see: release probably end of may... Being so excited I read too fast ;D

athpilot said:
Hi! Great News. I will of course buy it. Do you have a release date?

Ah, now I see: release probably end of may... Being so excited I read too fast ;D

The on-sale date for retail is supposed to be May 21 but I think it's available to pre-order in any case.

Looking forward to it!

newsdeskdan said:

Was the 609 a different project from the 309 Zw or just a case of designations being juggled around?

sienar said:
Looking forward to it!

newsdeskdan said:

Was the 609 a different project from the 309 Zw or just a case of designations being juggled around?

The Me 309 Zw is two Me 309 fuselages joined together. The Me 609 is the Me 262. I found a number of references to documents about the Me 609 and on retrieving them was surprised to discover that they all related to the Me 262 (see attached examples) and had nothing to do with the twin-fuselage Me 309. I asked Dan Johnson about it and he pointed me to Willy Messerschmitt - Pioneer of Aviation Design by Erbert, Kaiser and Peters which, on p296, describes the Me 609 as "cover designation for test-ready Me 262s". The evidence certainly backs up that description.

Attachments

• Me 609 1.jpg
    Me 609 1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 686
  • Me 609 2.jpg
    Me 609 2.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 520
Definitely looking forward to this one. It promises to be as enjoyable, and useful, a read as your previous works.

I`ve just pre-ordered it :D!Dan, what`s that design in the top left corner?

Wurger said:
I`ve just pre-ordered it :D!Dan, what`s that design in the top left corner?

DVL jet fighter. It's a shame it doesn't have a 'proper' designation but the document it's shown in doesn't give it one.

Will you add the messerschmitt me P.1099 in your next book?

sgeorges4 said:
Will you add the messerschmitt me P.1099 in your next book?

Probably a bit early to be discussing the next one. But possibly.

Preordered! I´m especially curious on the chapter about the Zippermayr "Pfeil". Not much is mentioned about it in other sources (as far as I know.)

And I also have a preference in the now ongoing discussion on a (possible) follow up: Lippisch, Lippisch and Lippisch!

Greetings,
Athpilot

DVL jet fighter :eek:! According to Kay, DVL was working on a turbojet of it`s own. Was this design meant for it?

athpilot said:
Preordered! I´m especially curious on the chapter about the Zippermayr "Pfeil". Not much is mentioned about it in other sources (as far as I know.)

And I also have a preference in the now ongoing discussion on a (possible) follow up: Lippisch, Lippisch and Lippisch!

Greetings,
Athpilot

There's a bit of Lippisch in this one - the Me 163 with canards was a design patented by Messerschmitt AG on Lippisch's behalf several months before Willy Messerschmitt had his own V-tail idea patented. Lippisch also patented a version with forward-swept wings (!). I've gathered a fair bit more Lippisch material since Luftwaffe: Secret Wings but I don't know whether I want to go back to tailless and flying wings again so soon.

Wurger said:
DVL jet fighter :eek:! According to Kay, DVL was working on a turbojet of it`s own. Was this design meant for it?

The type of turbojet isn't specified. It's more about the aerodynamics - when you read it, you'll see what I mean.

Is the big cover illustration a variation of the Messerschmitt P.1079 ?

Back from the printers today...

Attachments

• Luftwaffe Secret Designs.jpg
    Luftwaffe Secret Designs.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 512
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 404
  • 3.png
    3.png
    696.2 KB · Views: 363
athpilot said:
Amazing! A P-15 like I never seen before... B)

I was, frankly, stunned to discover the 11 or 12 different versions of the P 15 that Lippisch sketched out before binning them all and deciding that the P 15 should be a 'bitsa' aircraft instead.

Of course very great work,

but something is missing,the DVL Rammer aircraft;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24835.msg315943.html#msg315943

Why missing? The DVL Rammer is a known project.

hesham said:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24835.msg315943.html#msg315943

hesham said:

Luftwaffe: Secret Designs is not a comprehensive collection of anything, nor was it ever intended to be. It's a selection of little known or previously unknown designs upon which I felt I had more or new details to offer.
I should tell you that I have nearly enough material for another volume in the same vein if the demand for it is there. And I if it is, I won't be including the DVL rammer in that one either, I'm afraid.

newsdeskdan wrote:
I have nearly enough material for another volume in the same vein if the demand for it is there.

Please do publish more!

Dan, do you have something on the Arado proposal for a radial engined fighter, tendered by Rüdiger Kosin around 1938?

Wurger said:
newsdeskdan wrote:
I have nearly enough material for another volume in the same vein if the demand for it is there.

Please do publish more!

Dan, do you have something on the Arado proposal for a radial engined fighter, tendered by Rüdiger Kosin around 1938?

I have a few other Arado things but not that one unfortunately. I have to admit that I tend to actively pursue wartime projects to the detriment of pre-war material.

Wurger said:
newsdeskdan wrote:

Please do publish more!

What was it ?.

Please see:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4516.msg35836.html#msg35836

Reply#7

My copy has arrived safe and sound yesterday, and even with just a quick skim it looks awsome ;)

Thanks for having me on board Dan, it's always a pleasure to work with you!

Wurger said:
Please see:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4516.msg35836.html#msg35836

Reply#7

Thanks.

Really good work! Especially the info on the 1079, the rotated engine is a really interesting solution to the problem of the supercharger.

sienar said:
Really good work! Especially the info on the 1076, the rotated engine is a really interesting solution to the problem of the supercharger.

Yes, although it makes the aircraft look a bit, erm, bent.

The digital edition of Luftwaffe Secret Designs of the Third Reich is available from Pocketmags here: https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine/luftwaffe-secret-designs-of-the-third-reich

Richard N said:
The digital edition of Luftwaffe Secret Designs of the Third Reich is available from Pocketmags here: https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine/luftwaffe-secret-designs-of-the-third-reich
Got it already. Its a very interesting Book.

Is there any indication in the P222 drawings of where the port exhaust would have gone? And is there any data on the take off weight and empty weight of this design?