Register here

Author Topic: VTOL On Demand Mobility  (Read 18320 times)

Online sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: VTOL On Demand Mobility
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:27 am »
Any relation between that Lilium Jet and Aurora's DARPA effort?  Are they close enough in design to cause a ruckus re. patent infringement?   ???
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 10:10:27 am »
The concepts are pretty close, but Lilium carries the fans on the flaps to point them down, Aurora's tilts the entire wing.
One thing that the lilium video on their website does not show is full wingborne transition, which is tricky. I'm also kind of annoyed they call their ducted fans "Jets".
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Online Sundog

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »
I'm also kind of annoyed they call their ducted fans "Jets".

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed as well. It sure doesn't look like the Brayton Cycle to me. ;)

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:02 pm »
They've also gone through several iterations. They've given up on that retractable canard which characterized the early concepts. I guess they realized that with the cg in the middle, and the wing in the back, they still need lift in the nose to make things work. Their latest iteration looks somewhat closer to the XV-24A.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 04:59:02 am »
It seems to me that uncowled props/rotors in those positions would be a potential hazard, in ground handling terms.

Offline VTOLicious

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:39 am »
It seems to me that uncowled props/rotors in those positions would be a potential hazard, in ground handling terms.

From the video it seems as if the entrance and exit is only planned from the front, requiring some kind of gangway.

Offline mboeller

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:28 am »
Cartercopter teamed up with Mooney for their electric "UBER ELEVATE AIR TAXI CONCEPT" VTOL

Press Release:
http://www.cartercopters.com/system/sdocs/27/original/Carter%20Aviation%20Press%20Release%20-%202017-04-25%20-%20Uber%20Elevate.pdf?1493134124

unfortunately the links in the PDF still don't work. Jeff Lewis has sent me The Summit-Presentation. See attachment.

edit:  attachment deleted
link to the Cartercopter-Presentation:

http://www.cartercopters.com/system/sdocs/28/original/Carter%20Presentation.2017-04-25.Uber%20Elevate%20Summit%202.pdf?1493651657

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:23:41 am by mboeller »

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 07:42:18 am »

From the video it seems as if the entrance and exit is only planned from the front, requiring some kind of gangway.

indeed, the first iteration of Uber vehicles will operate from 'vertiports', which allows you to take advantage of some ground support equipment. Obviously any door-to-door service, which could theoretically land on unprepared surfaces like someone's backyard, would require a different layout. You'd probably want to put the rotors above reach of passengers.

@mboeller: thanks for posting the presentation!

Offline TomS

Re: Bell ultra light taxi
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 12:15:33 pm »
They really went out of their way to conceal any hint of the dynamic systems used in this concept.

Offline hesham

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:09 pm »
Nice find RavenOne.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
Video about this

Bells Homepage about "Air Taxi"
http://bellhelicopter.com/company/innovation/ces-2018

This let to wild Internet speculation  about Air Taxi drive system
going over "Blade Runner" and anti-grav units to oversized quadcopter
some sources like the Video above tell that Air Taxi is electrical power Helicopter
and Video on Bell homepage suggest it also automotive,
There is no pilot in that video and passengers not using the controls.
I love Strange Technology

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:02 pm »
They really went out of their way to conceal any hint of the dynamic systems used in this concept.

There's really only one logical system to consider:

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:08 pm »
I can think of more than a few people who many would pay to see moved by this transport system.

Online fredymac

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 03:20:11 am »
I would think an electric helicopter would be more efficient than a giant electric quad/multi-copter.  A distributed lift electric hybrid that transitions to wing borne flight would beat that but for short hops across a city an electric helicopter might be adequate.