Register here

Author Topic: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III  (Read 46932 times)

Offline FighterJock

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:14 am »

So how many Su-27 fighter squadrons do the PLAAF actually have?

According to scramble.nl orbat, there arent any pure su27 regiments. Plaaf seems to be mixing them up with j11a.  One could roughly calculate from the given orbat of 6 su27/j11a regiments, and the fact su27 are oldest flankers plaaf has and are probably first in line to be retired, that there are two dozen su27sk left in service. Alongside slightly higher number of su27ubk left.

You learn something every day, thanks for the information totoro.  B)

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 08:55:36 am »
A rare image posted by @OedoSoldier at Twitter shows both J-XX concepts at the China Aerospace Science & Technology-expo in 2000: The CAC concept - aka later J-20 - in grey and the SAC concept in black.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:02 am »
A rare image posted by @OedoSoldier at Twitter shows both J-XX concepts at the China Aerospace Science & Technology-expo in 2000: The CAC concept - aka later J-20 - in grey and the SAC concept in black.

Interesting photos Deino, but what I have just noticed is that the missile near the bottom of the second picture has a ramjet that is similar to the often mentioned PL-21.  Is that missile an early mock up because from what I have seen the current PL-21 design is often now seen with two ramjets.

Offline Deino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:40 am »
 ;)
W.H.Auden (1945)

Ian33

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:18 am »
 :o  That's absolutely astounding. The legs on that beast must be up to its armpits.

Still say it's one of the most beautiful aircraft in today's skies.

Offline thrax

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 09:31:59 am »
 If it looks good, it flies good.
 And it that pic it looks awessome  B)

Offline Airplane

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:42 am »
I don't get the 4 bags of gas. Are they on a sortie to Hawaii?
"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
General George S. Patton

Offline starviking

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 02:22:17 pm »
The fuel tanks would be useful for patroling around Taiwan.

Offline Deino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 02:27:21 am »
 :o
W.H.Auden (1945)

Ian33

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:47 am »

When you absolutely have to reach out and touch some one and no tanker is available.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 05:14:49 am »
Bear in mind that China has long borders, the J-20 would have to carry at least four external fuel tanks depending on where the J-20 squadron was based.

Offline starviking

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »
Bear in mind that China has long borders, the J-20 would have to carry at least four external fuel tanks depending on where the J-20 squadron was based.

True. The ability to self-relocate to the South China Sea airfields might also need external tanking.

Offline starviking

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 05:24:55 pm »

When you absolutely have to reach out and touch some one and no tanker is available.

Hitting AWACS and other supporting assets far from base. I wonder how much radius the tanks give?

Offline Blitzo

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »

Hitting AWACS and other supporting assets far from base. I wonder how much radius the tanks give?

I wouldn't feel comfortable having a stealth fighter fly beyond one's IADS defended borders with EFTs during war time. I think during a conflict, J-20s would not fly outside of China's borders with EFTs.

I believe the primary use of EFTs would be to support rapid redeployment from bases within China's borders during conflict, where they take off from one base  (say in central or western China) loaded with EFTs and internally loaded with AAMs or other ordnance for their mission, and then as they near the theatre of operations (say, the airspace over the East China Sea beyond China's IADS borders) they would eject their EFTs+wet hardpoints and proceed with their mission in a clean configuration. After their mission, they would land at a base near their theatre of operations where support crew and logistics would have been ferried and/or pre-placed to support sustained operations from that airbase.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:02:34 pm by Blitzo »

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 02:56:30 am »

I wouldn't feel comfortable having a stealth fighter fly beyond one's IADS defended borders with EFTs during war time. I think during a conflict, J-20s would not fly outside of China's borders with EFTs.

I believe the primary use of EFTs would be to support rapid redeployment from bases within China's borders during conflict, where they take off from one base  (say in central or western China) loaded with EFTs and internally loaded with AAMs or other ordnance for their mission, and then as they near the theatre of operations (say, the airspace over the East China Sea beyond China's IADS borders) they would eject their EFTs+wet hardpoints and proceed with their mission in a clean configuration. After their mission, they would land at a base near their theatre of operations where support crew and logistics would have been ferried and/or pre-placed to support sustained operations from that airbase.

I too would not feel comfortable with J-20's flying with four external fuel tanks either, plus the fact that China now has a extremely long-range missile as well.