Sukhoi FSW Fighters from S-22 / S-32 to S-37 / Su-47 Berkut

No it isnt its from the early su-35 Terminator I believe with western MFDs.

"Terminator" is Su-37, not -35. After making this thread, i remembered that Su-37 also tested the side stick. So, the pictures must come from Su-37.

If I remember correct, this one is defferent from number 711 cockpit, according the polygon series book about flanker family, dose the plane change panel layout during it's life?

Those cockpit images are from the former Su-37 demonstrator (711) from the mid 90s. The aircraft with redesignated to Su-35 and received a new cockpit layout from 2000. Some sources indicated that this cockpit layout (that in the images) has been used by the Su-47 as well, don't if its true.

Regarding the S-37's new weapons bay - IMO a replica of the T-50's - there's a picture published in the latest Fug Revue (03.2010 / page 14) with the open bay right brom the bottom ... sadly my scanner is out of order and therefore only via the camera.

Does anyone have a better one ... or even the original one ?? ???

Deino

Attachments

• Berkut open wb - 1 small.jpg
    Berkut open wb - 1 small.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Berkut open wb - 2 small.jpg
    Berkut open wb - 2 small.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 418
is magazine gives credit to someone for this photo?

dunno who made it, editorial staff may remove credits (I'd surely do this)
PB is usually cautious about stuff like this, and this is understandable - one photo doesn't worth amount of problems it can cause
all I know is photos of C-37 shot with open bay (it was during recent tests phase) are deliberately PSed by authors - to get off troubles

little present from me

Attachments

• S-37_wing.jpg
    S-37_wing.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 781
Regarding the weapons bay ... it looks in that form on the picture as it can only hold two missilies (maybe its here only configured for larger loads) ... Do You know if the bay has several options for different missiles or just these two launchers ??

Deino

as an option, yes
it either can be real bay capacity, or tests of launcher arrangement for something larger than Product 180, say, Kh-58
if Raptor bay could be accomodated for various number of launchers and payload, why it could not be made for T-50
previously it was said that "each bay can carry minimum two missiles"
but, once more, who knows...

I also think it has several options. Otherwise there will be four weapon bays only for the six stores - its hardly optimal. And Greg -cool photo ;)

early pre-production version of S-37 cockpit layout from preliminary edition of a/c operations manual ca.1995
thanks to runner

Attachments

• Su-47early.jpg
    Su-47early.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 665
Posted originally here some time ago. :)

And there is a lot of talking about wings folding on Su-47...Apparently Runner has a pic, but couldn't show it to everyone...

Just slightly better and bigger version of the picture that surfaced very recently.

Attachments

• bogdan_02_b.jpg
    bogdan_02_b.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 668
So - in this pic we see the S-37 Berkut early version with inward canted fins. But what is the black painted aircraft immediately behind it? Wingtip ECM pods. Berkut-ish. Wings look slightly swept forward. Hard to see detail... but looks different to S-37 to me.

Attachments

• Sukhoi Model.jpg
    Sukhoi Model.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,713
Sure is different. It's got canted tail fins à la F-23 and shorter, less angled forward swept wings with wingtip cannisters or whatever that may be.

Sorry for this being very crudely done, and probably full of inaccuracies, but what I see here is as follows:
  • Short, slight-forward swept wings, coupled with large canards near the wing's leading edge.
  • Outwardly canted tail triangular tail fins.
  • Dented rear end with exhausts blended into the rear fuselage.
  • Deeper and shorter fuselage, slightly rounded off on top.
  • A grill at the top suggesting this could be a vectored thrust kind of VTOL fighter.
Of course, as I said this is only MY understanding of this very blurry image. Do you know the source for it?

Attachments

• mysterious Sukhoi.jpg
    mysterious Sukhoi.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,520
hmm, STOVL engines/liftfan resp. auxiliary/dorsal air inlets?

Attachments

• Sukhoi Model-1.jpg
    Sukhoi Model-1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,506
Image is from the Simonov biography. I have a low res PDF only, thats the best I could do.

Isn't this supposed to be TsAGI's "Rytm"? It is single-tailed and has no dorsal inlets.

IMG_1729.jpg

Found this page on the "Rytm". It clearly is different from Paul's photo:

http://paralay.com/s37.html

However, the mysterious aircraft looks a bit like an early configuration of the S-32 (below left):

s3703.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Image is from the Simonov biography. I have a low res PDF only, thats the best I could do.

Can you please share the PDF file with us? ::)
Thank you, :)

I am way out of my area of knowledge, but the landing gear seems very tall and narrow for a shipborne aircraft (cg far from the point of rotation).

yasotay said:
I am way out of my area of knowledge, but the landing gear seems very tall and narrow for a shipborne aircraft (cg far from the point of rotation).
The height of the landing gear is coordinated with a single photograph ;)

S-22?

And.

"The "Dry(Sukhoi)" has already had experience in the design of light (up to 20 m) single-engine fighter with wings - Project C-22. "

I think that air intake shape is different between this plan view and this wind tunnel test model.

Attachments

• s22.jpg
    s22.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 718
  • Forward-swept_wing_3.jpg
    Forward-swept_wing_3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 730