Register here

Author Topic: South African missiles/rockets/PGM's - Prototypes, Projects, Concepts, etc.  (Read 70572 times)

Offline kaiserbill

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Nice info Graugrun!

Offline Graugrun

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Thanks Kaiserbill!

Here is another, more detailed article by Janes that covers the Mongoose 3 and Cheetah C-Ram development, it now clears up any confusion I had as to the roles/functions of the missiles. Looks quite nifty but could be a bit expensive to use in certain scenarios... Interesting the diverse amount of applications they have for it, plus the Piff/Paff type type rocket motors, doing away with the need for a trainable launcher in the tank/vehicle self protection mode.

I strongly suspect that they have an international order/contract to develop this (together with the Marlin BVR missile), I cannot see how they would get the necessary development funds and go-ahead otherwise.

http://www.janes.com/article/81207/denel-dynamics-unveils-layered-c-ram-system
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:48:54 pm by Graugrun »

Offline 61mech

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Interesting they don't really market it as a naval CIWS option. Sounds like it could work well as a bolt on type launcher for ship defence similar to RAM.

Thanks Kaiserbill!

Here is another, more detailed article by Janes that covers the Mongoose 3 and Cheetah C-Ram development, it now clears up any confusion I had as to the roles/functions of the missiles. Looks quite nifty but could be a bit expensive to use in certain scenarios... Interesting the diverse amount of applications they have for it, plus the Piff/Paff type type rocket motors, doing away with the need for a trainable launcher in the tank/vehicle self protection mode.

I strongly suspect that they have an international order/contract to develop this (together with the Marlin BVR missile), I cannot see how they would get the necessary development funds and go-ahead otherwise.

Offline Graugrun

Re: South African missiles/rockets/PGM's - Prototypes, Projects, Concepts, etc.
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2018, 07:01:38 am »
Interesting they don't really market it as a naval CIWS option. Sounds like it could work well as a bolt on type launcher for ship defence similar to RAM.

Thanks Kaiserbill!

61 Mech - you are quite right, it could work very well as naval CIWS option, being vertically launched it has much more flexibility in terms of fitment and placement on a ship, and with a 10km range it seems to out range the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile by 1 Km, so yes, they hopefully will be offering it in that role too.

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2018, 07:03:54 am »
Some nice updates on nearly the whole range of missiles Denel Dynamics is developing, testing and manufacturing. Some new ones are mentioned as well.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53093:denel-dynamics-develops-new-missiles&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:02 am »
Some nice updates on nearly the whole range of missiles Denel Dynamics is developing, testing and manufacturing. Some new ones are mentioned as well.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53093:denel-dynamics-develops-new-missiles&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

There seems to be a typo in the press release.  It refers to P2 as a "surface-to-air munition" but the rest of the description makes it clear that it's an air-to-surface weapon, basically a small guided bomb (similar in scale to Griffin-A?).

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2018, 05:51:51 am »
Thanks for spotting their error TomS!

Further to the article in my post #199 above - the following are (1st pic is my own my speculation) of three of the UAV type weapons mentioned in it:

1st pic - is perhaps a basic concept model of the P2 (14 kg, ground to air UN-powered small diameter weapon - medium range)?

2nd pic is a model of the Impi-S (15 kg, inertial/semi-active laser-guided missile - 6 km range).

3rd pic is the larger Impi missile (25 kg, inertial/semi-active laser-guided missile - 10 km range).

Offline Graugrun

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:19:36 am by Graugrun »

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2018, 09:54:27 am »
An update on the CAT range of micro gas turbine engines, ranging from 120 to 400 Newton models (see my previous post #176).

Most interesting to me is the mention of them featuring a fuel-atomising direct kerostart system, which also enables a relighting capability for high-altitude starts - I take this to mean the capability to launch PGM's/cruise missile type weapons from an aircraft.

https://www.janes.com/article/83092/power-up-aad18d1
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:47:24 am by Graugrun »