Register here

Author Topic: China DOESN'T buy the Backfire...  (Read 13337 times)

Offline 2IDSGT

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Ah tale yew wut!
China DOESN'T buy the Backfire...
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
Has anyone heard about this, or is it old news here?

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_buys_Russian_bombers_999.html

China is to purchase Tupolev Tu-22M3 bombers through a contract with the Russian Federation for 36 aircraft.

The agreement calls for 12 bombers to be delivered first and the other 24 coming in a second tranche.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:01:13 pm by Stargazer2006 »

Offline kcran567

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: China DOESN'T buy the Backfire...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:38 am »
Interesting. I wonder if there is also a deal for future bomber development as well.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:49:20 am »
I believe this is just a rumour on t'interwebs which pops every few years.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline 2IDSGT

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Ah tale yew wut!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:44 am »
I believe this is just a rumour on t'interwebs which pops every few years.
That's possible, but the site where I picked up this story has been pretty reliable; although, it is unusual for them to post stories before better-known outlets. 

Offline JFC Fuller

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:50 am »
Yup, this story has been reappearing every few years since the early-mid 90s. It is usually accompanied with the story that China is about to buy the Project 1164 cruiser Ukrayina though that one seems to have died a death since the reports in 2010/11 that the Russians were going to acquire the ship- that has never happened either.

The mainstream aerospace and defence media is still pretty poor at reporting about China; there have been a number of examples- most of them documented on this website by Deino. My personal favourite was Jane's claiming a photo of a Chinese fanboi's RC model of the J-20 was a prototype PLAAF STOVL aircraft; good examples of why this happens can be seen in the below links, both discussing poor reporting of Chinese military developments:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gregory-kulacki/misattribution-and-exagge_b_1839029.html

http://china-defense.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/in-age-of-internet-information-can-be.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:14:44 am by JFC Fuller »

Offline flanker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:51 am »
Push the envelope,watch it bend.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:10 am »
On the other hand, it wasn't so long ago that people were claiming that the J-20 was a nonexistent project.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline chuck4

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:47 am »
When?      As far back as 1997 the US DOD had publicly proclaimed itself aware of the existence of the project that would ultimately lead to the J-20.   At the time intelligence community called it the J-XX project.  Around 2006 The DOD said it believed the Chinese can successfully pull off a indiginous g5 project.  The Chinese themselves announced when the prototype construction on the j-20 started around 2008.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:35:46 am by chuck4 »

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:36 am »
Ohhh guys, please these rumours comnplete BS ! Just take a look, what should CHina or the PLAAF gain by acquireing a long dismissed production line of a dated aircraft, which would require a completely new chain of logistics and even if surely one of the most impressive aircraft (IMO) ever build, not woth the efforts ???

Deino
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:43:37 am »
Ohhh guys, please these rumours comnplete BS ! Just take a look, what should CHina or the PLAAF gain by acquireing a long dismissed production line of a dated aircraft, which would require a completely new chain of logistics and even if surely one of the most impressive aircraft (IMO) ever build, not woth the efforts ???

Deino

My thoughts exactly.  More likely to see more J-20s or even a whole new Chinese program.

Offline Steve Pace

• Aviation History Writer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:06 am »
The J-20 looks big enough to carry a payload equal to or even more than the Backfire. -SP
When you know you're right, go ahead.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:15 am »
24,000kg of bombs or 3 Kh-22 missiles? Don't think so :)
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:39:23 am »
Sorry, but why still these "s...d" arguments like the J-20 looks big so it has to be a bomber !???  >:(

By the way

MOSCOW, January 24.  / ITAR-TASS /.  In the "Rosoboronexport" denied the information of several Russian media and unofficial Chinese websites about the alleged upcoming Russia supply China 36 long-range bombers Tu-22M3.   "Rosoboronexport" does not have any information about the discussion of this subject the two sides, "- told Itar-Tass Corporation spokesman Vyacheslav Davidenko.
  "There are no negotiations on this issue with China has taken place and there is no," - he stressed.
  "This comment is made ​​in exceptional cases - said Davidenko. -" Rosoboronexport "strictly follows the practice to comment on posts only official sources of information, to what these sites do not include the Chinese."
  Another source in the "Rosoboronexport" on condition of anonymity told Itar-Tass that the common non-official Chinese website about the upcoming supply China 36 Tu-22M3 "is pure newspaper duck."  "Someone crook desperate to wishful thinking," - said the source.  "Meanwhile, the supply of Tu-22M3 foreign countries are in principle impossible, because these aircraft are a strategic weapon," - he said.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itar-tass.com%2Fc134%2F629868.html

Deino
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline chuck4

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »
Sorry, but why still these "s...d" arguments like the J-20 looks big so it has to be a bomber !???  >:(

Probably because its current engines are somewhat small in proportion to its size.   Just saying.    If it's estimated size is correct and its bulk density resembles those of F-22, then it's T/W ratio would probably be pretty low for a post 1980 fighter.  Of course they could put in a substantially larger engine in the future.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:48:41 pm by chuck4 »

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

According to Air Power Australia they need them to attack Australian offshore rigs that are flat out pumping gas to ship to China. There's not much logic to it but if they did so it would give Chris Gibson another job + plane spotting opportunity!
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling