Register here

Author Topic: Sukhoi T-50 Su-50 PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II  (Read 365590 times)

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Sukhoi T-50 Su-50 PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II
« Reply #1020 on: December 07, 2017, 08:13:28 am »
Better video:

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline Steven

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • AIAA at UCLA
Re: Sukhoi T-50 Su-50 PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II
« Reply #1021 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:00 pm »
The new LOAN-type nozzle seems slightly shorter. It doesn't seem like the engine nacelles would be reshaped much, if at all.

I believe it's because they are all developments of existing systems rather than a brand new design. Cheaper and easier but less capable.

Do you have a single piece of evidence suggesting any of them is a development of an existing system, let alone all of them? What system is the predecessor of KS-U? Or KS-O? For example Su-35S uses an IR-based system for MAWS and it looks totally different.

As I understand it, the electro-optical systems of the Su-57 are developed by UOMZ (the firm that also made the OLS-27), while the Su-35's systems, at least the missile warning systems, were developed by a different firm; how much technology is shared between the two aircraft's systems is unknown. Regardless, the question still remains as to why the Su-57 has three separate infrared sensors with a fair bit of overlap between them; at the very least, I would imagine that the landing/navigation FLIR camera and targeting pod could've been rolled into one onboard system.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:44:11 am by Steven »