Register here

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 165320 times)

Offline Retired In Kalifornia

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Need To Re-Introduce Myself
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:08 pm »
On August 12, 2014 I'd registered here, sadly didn't follow-up with more postings so am back.

My primary aircraft interest is Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) & Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (ANR) 1935 to 1945 though have built model subjects dating from the late 1920s.

I build 1/72 scale, 187 RAI & ANR aircraft housed in 53 specially made dust-proof display cases currently, photos of them all are on the STORMO! Magazine website (won't post link not yet having read the forum rules here). I have a few "What If" FROG Models RAI Aeronautica Macchi C.202 builds I'd like to post on this website, will check whether that's possible.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:56:24 pm by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Marco

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Enter witty comment here
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2018, 05:21:38 am »
Hello Everyone,
Longtime forum lurker/reader.  Marcus, 35, Sunny Florida.  I look forward to partaking in future discussions.  Cheers.

Offline GWrecks

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Big Wingy Thingy
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2018, 07:38:37 pm »
Hello, my name is George. For security's (Or more like paranoia's) sake I don't provide my last name on the Internet. I can say I live in the USA though. I'm taking CAD tech classes in college, partially inspired by the crazy aircraft projects floating around these days. Sometimes I wonder if that's a good reason, but I don't want to second-guess my progress!

My interest basically boils down to flying wings, lifting bodies, and other unconventional means to counter known limits of flight (Also includes tandem wings, for example). My favorite fighter of WWII was the F5U Flying Pancake, and my favorite bomber today is the B-2 Spirit. As you can see, though, I don't really rate things on their combat history...

Also, I'm perfectly aware that flying wings are not just a Horten and Northrop thing. Boeing, Convair, Handley-Page, Vickers, Messerschmitt, and Lockheed all come to mind, and there are probably others I can't recall at the moment. If someone wrote a book on the entire history of flying wings I would gobble it up. The biggest source of my information regarding obscure projects is Hitechweb, though I've thought about getting some things from Aerospace Projects Review (My dad says he thinks it's a scam though). I recently bought two books on Convair aerospace projects and intend to get Flying Wings and Radical Things when I have the chance.

I also like to draw random aircraft for...random things. Realistically, all of it is bad. My drawing skills are bad. The designs are bad. The projects I intend to implement them in are bad. This is evidenced by the fact I attempt to "revise" all three on an almost consistent schedule, to the extent not only do people find it weird, they simply can't track it in the first place. I need something to vent my autism however, so if that's what it needs to do so be it.

I used to be more interested in "artistic" aircraft such as Macross Valkyries and things from shoot-em-ups, but that interest is quickly waning now that I know there are things arguably more interesting in real life (Or at least on the drawing boards for professional engineers).

I've probably said enough by now...my friend says I'll never work for a defense contractor because I can't keep my mouth shut, and they're probably right...
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA

Offline steelpillow

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • So many projects, so little time...
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2018, 02:01:55 am »
Hi GWrecks and welcome.

You should find plenty to keep you happy here, be it the pioneer of the tailless swept wing J W Dunne, rotor aeroplanes, the outboard tail of Blomh & Voss, supersonic projects such as the BAe P.1216 or more modern weirdos such as the FanWing. Good hunting.
Cheers.

Offline dukeallen

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2018, 05:19:01 am »
Greetings. I'm a half century old general aviation nut and scale modeler. And now I'll be lurking because I see I have a LOT of reading to do.  :)

Offline steelpillow

• So many projects, so little time...
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2018, 11:06:48 am »
Greetings. I'm a half century old general aviation nut and scale modeler. And now I'll be lurking because I see I have a LOT of reading to do.  :)

Enjoy. :)
Cheers.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2018, 11:11:05 am »

Lurk away but don't be afraid to post too :)
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline RavenOne

« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2019, 09:55:56 am »
Me  I am quarter of a century from a soixante neuf :P and fly the R44 Raven (hence my name)

Mad on helos since I was a kid, got the flying bug by regular trips to HK to see family and got the helo bug by seeing RAF Westland Wessex and AAC Scouts flying around the New Territories plus the odd Royal Hong Kong Auxillary Air Force/Government Flying ServiceSikorsky  S-76A.

Graduate Aerospace / Mech engineer degree in 4 years

Year out in industry during those 4 years - Airline Industry and Helicopter Offshore worked at LGW and ABZ various points in the year

Got old job back at company after graduation ...did everything from fleet analysis of various types (SA330/AS332/AS365/AS355/AS350/BO105/S76/S61) (making coffee and tea for bosses), (answering phones)
Got into aircraft and parts brokering, found and brought over then Eurocopter EC155B1 in 2004, wrote Approved Maintenance Schedule and Approved Maintenance Program /Schedule to certify the 155 on the CAA register.

Got into the composite side of the company and did work with Boeing Phantom Works on Blended Winged Body, yep built tooling airframes for the drop test scaled models albeit with Cranfield University. Built shipped to the states and test flown from NASA Armstrong and deliberately crashed to determine their crashworthiness.

Also helped in transition for the comapny to get their EASA Part21G (production) and J (design)

Thereafter ended up in the airline industry as an airline maint tech research officer providing maintenance info to Top 100 Airlines and to the Top 100 MROs. Did that for four years and a bit.

For the last decade been running my own aviation consultancy in support of the helo industry based mainly on the Austro-German border.

Cheers