Register here

Author Topic: Scooter: The Douglas A4D Skyhawk Story by Tommy Thomason  (Read 19202 times)

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
    • U.S. Navy Aircraft History
Re: Scooter: The Douglas A4D Skyhawk Story by Tommy Thomason
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:30:09 pm »
Tommy,

Any word on how the shut down of Speciality Press (see here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11543.0.html) will affect your book?

Regards,

Greg

"Missed it by that much..." Scooter! was the farthest along of the five books cancelled. It was ready for print, within days of going to China. My understanding is that it is being shopped to other publishers.
\

I'm sure that you won't have any problem finding a new publishing house?  Incidentally, are literary agents prevalent in this niche market?

I don't have one - I'm sure it wouldn't be worth his or her while. I know that Robert Dorr had one for Hell Hawks, but that's a different type of aviation book.

Offline gatoraptor

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:57 pm »
Tommy,

Any word on how the shut down of Speciality Press (see here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11543.0.html) will affect your book?

Regards,

Greg

"Missed it by that much..." Scooter! was the farthest along of the five books cancelled. It was ready for print, within days of going to China. My understanding is that it is being shopped to other publishers.
\

I'm sure that you won't have any problem finding a new publishing house?  Incidentally, are literary agents prevalent in this niche market?
Of all of the new books orphaned by Specialty Press' decision, I think that this one, more than any of the others, has an obvious choice for a new publisher: Naval Institute Press!

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »
Tommy,

Regards,

Greg

\

Of all of the new books orphaned by Specialty Press' decision, I think that this one, more than any of the others, has an obvious choice for a new publisher: Naval Institute Press!

I've already asked Specialty to offer it to the Institute if that wasn't already their intention.

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:08 am »
I received an email from Crécy Publishing today. The status and plan:

"We have received discs from Specialty containing the material for the book and we have almost completed the cataloguing and checking of the contents of the discs and confirming how far the editing and design process has been completed. Once we have this information and have confirmed compatibility with our design software, we will be in a position to place the books in our publication and marketing schedule."

As far as I know, Scooter was ready to print except possibly for a final production step, adding page numbers to the index.

Offline AL

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 04:41:51 pm »
Tommy, Amazon UK is now showing a June release from Crecy.

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

Thanks very much for the heads up. That was news to me.

T

Offline F-14D

• I really did change my personal text
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

OK Tommy, what's Amazon USA got against you?

They're showing a June 1 release date for "Scooter: The Douglas A4D Skyhawk Story"
by--Erik Simonsen

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:03 pm »

OK Tommy, what's Amazon USA got against you?

They're showing a June 1 release date for "Scooter: The Douglas A4D Skyhawk Story"
by--Erik Simonsen

I'm getting used to database weirdness on my behalf. For the second year in a row, apparently in conjunction with my annual temporary relocation to Texas and the forwarding of my mail, a Post Office computer appears to have randomly selected one of my magazine subscriptions and directed the magazine publisher to change my permanent mailing address to one that doesn't have anything to do with me. The Post Office admits that it has happened but claims that it's not possible.

Offline bercr

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
Hi Tommy, I saw that your book will be published by Crecy, but do you know if the book will look just like a Specialty Press one, I mean with beautiful and sharp reproduction of the black and white photos, and will have the same layout with big photos, not 2 inches X 2 inches wan and soft photos...

Thank you very much

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 08:58:49 am »
Hi Tommy, I saw that your book will be published by Crecy, but do you know if the book will look just like a Specialty Press one, I mean with beautiful and sharp reproduction of the black and white photos, and will have the same layout with big photos, not 2 inches X 2 inches wan and soft photos...

Thank you very much

I reviewed and approved the Crecy layout a couple of weeks ago so I can say with confidence that it is just like my other books from Specialty Press. However, I don't know whether it will be printed on the same paper stock, which might affect the reproduction quality. According to Amazon, it will be available in mid to late September.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
Chris Gibson's recent book was very nicely done and matched the standards of Speciality Press, IMHO.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline bercr

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:46 am »
Chris Gibson's recent book was very nicely done and matched the standards of Speciality Press, IMHO.

Vulcan's Hammer ? The publisher is Hikoki Publications. Will Tommy's book be published by Hikoki or Crecy ?

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:08 am »
Hikoki is an imprint of Crecy.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline bercr

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 03:28:40 am »
Bigger photo :

Offline Tailspin Turtle

• Naval Aviation Author
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 03:46:27 am »
Thanks for that. There have been a couple of changes since that version: Crecy agreed to reinstate the exclamation point and add the A-4 Skyhawk Association badge. I subsequently asked them to add "Foreword by Admiral Thomas B. Hayward, USN (Ret.) but only if they thought it wouldn't make the cover too busy.