Register here

Author Topic: Hughes OH-6A/H500: Prototype and Test Versions.  (Read 15298 times)

Offline Sundog

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Hughes OH-6A/H500: Prototype and Test Versions.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »
1. Who or what is "ADTW"?

It's the Air Development and Test Wing of the JASDF based at Gifu Airbase.

Offline 500 Fan

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »
Sundown, thanks for the info. Trying to do research on Japanese subjects is often quite difficult.

500 Fan.

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 03:47:42 pm »
Does anyone have any information on an OH-6A upgrade that was proposed in the late 1960's and was given the designation "OH-6B"? I have no details whatsoever on this proposal. The first proposed OH-6A upgrade to fly in prototype form was the OH-6C, which flew in 1972 or 1973. So that would seem to confirm a "B"-version was on the drawing board at some stage in the late sixties.The OH-6B designation was later given to an Army National Guard-funded upgrade of the OH-6A in the late eighties.

Bringing things up to date, here is the latest development of note for the H-6/500 Series of helicopters;

Greg Ashe is the test pilot for this flight. He first started test-flying the H500 for Hughes in 1978. He flew the OH-6A in Viet Nam in 1968 as well. That means he is in his sixth decade of flying the H-6/500 at the sharp end! That's quite a record.
Thanks.

500 Fan. 

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 06:54:42 am »
Here is a model of one of the many H-6 prototypes flown by Hughes over the years.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12827.0/highlight,hughes.html

Thanks.

500 Fan.

Offline Stingray

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Brony rotorhead...
    • Stingray's List of Rotorcraft
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »
Hello to all on Secret Projects. I am currently carrying out research for a proposed book on the OH-6/H500 series of helicopters, focusing on the prototype and test versions of this family of helicopters. There is a great depth of knowledge here on this forum and any assistance received for this book project would be gratefully received. First off, a query about a possible compound version of the OH-6A.

I came across this drawing in the January 1965 issue of "Flying Review International".

It mainly depicts a compound helicopter version of the Kaman Seasprite (which did fly). Visible in the background, however, is an interesting version of the Hughes OH-6A, complete with short wings and a ducted tail propeller. At first, I thought it was just a figment of the imagination of the artist. This helicopter is mentioned in Wayne Mutza's book "Loach" in relation to the Hughes OH-6C and it is described exactly as it appears in the drawing. The OH-6C dates from 1971 while the above drawing is obviously from many years earlier. It would appear then that this compound version of the OH-6A was something Hughes Helicopters did some research into, though it appears that it certainley didn't fly or even make it into full-scale mock-up form.

My query is, does anyone have any of the following;
1. Any further knowledge of this version of the OH-6A?
2. Any official line drawings emanating from Hughes Helicopters?
3. Any other drawings of this helicopter?
4. Any photos of any company scale models of this helicopter?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this query.
500 Fan.

Model:
http://stingraysrotorforum.activeboard.com/t39111599/hughes-helicopters/

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 05:10:22 am »
My research into this topic continues. Currently, I am looking at the test work that was undertaken around employing the OH-6/H500 as an Anti-Submarine Helicopter.

There was a U.S. Navy program called L.A.S.H. (Light Anti-Submarine Helicopter). It appears that this was a program whose aim was to replace the Gyrodyne QH-50 Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter (D.A.S.H.) with a more capable manned alternative. Ultimately L.A.S.H. evolved into L.A.M.P.S. Hughes had offered an ASW version of the 500 for the LASH program and some limited testing took place, including sea trials with a U.S. Navy destroyer in 1969. In 1968, an Army YOH-6 was loaned to VX-1 for testing and it was outfitted with some additional equipment and also undertook sea trials with a FRAM destroyer.

My question is: Does anyone know where information might be available with regard to these trials? I would presume that test reports, however short, were written and are on record somewhere in the Navy archives. The two ships involved were the USS Hawkins and the USS O'Brien and VX-1 was also involved. Can an FOI application be forwarded somewhere or is there a Navy Historical Archive that anyone knows about? Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

500 Fan. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:35:02 am by 500 Fan »