Condor II and sister Argentine-Iraq-Egypt projects

Gaafar

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The initial concept for the Condor was a small range sounding rocket which would constitute the basis for further rocket development. The Argentine AF eventually found out (as Egypt did decades earlier) that it can't build a rocket without outside design, technical, and material assistance, the Argentines turned to Consen, a consortium made up of many international firms, as well as the Egyptian, Iraqi, and Brazilian governments. However this project would be "terminated" after the MTCR found out and evidence of Iraqi and Egyptian activities on the behest of this projects mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_134214.jpg
    IMG_20211128_134214.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 69148602_10220222944821084_5696997934566998016_o.jpg
    69148602_10220222944821084_5696997934566998016_o.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 46
As I mentioned, seperate agreements were signed with Egypt, Iraq, Brazil and *perhaps* North Korea as well as many international contractors.

Egyptian defense minister Abu Ghazala set up an office called Ballistic Missile Egypt (BME) which would be responsible for Egypts contributions to the Condor programme.

This contribution extended to the attempted procurement of FAEs from the United States. The Egyptian Ministry of Defense requested 9,000 CBU-92 FAEs but the US government ultimately refused.

BME was involved in sensitive acquisition projects through a rocket propulsion expert with U.S security clearance named A. K Helmy for the acquisition of guidance tech, telemetry antennas, carbon-carbon, and FAE blueprints which would lead to the development of the Nasr 9000 fuel air bomb

Of course that's not all there is to say about the Condor II, there is little-to-no info on A. K Helmy and the FAEs, and the many many sister Argentine-Arab projects besides the Condor. Which is why I created this thread.

I've been digging through UN, NTI, and argentine sources and I'll be updating this thread whenever I can

Of course that's not all there is to say about the Condor II, there is little-to-no info on A. K Helmy and the FAEs, and the many many sister Argentine-Arab projects besides the Condor. Which is why I created this thread.

I've been digging through UN, NTI, and argentine sources and I'll be updating this thread whenever I can
Any help would be appreciated

Two references documents. I had never quite realized how far along Condor went, and the sheer size of it. It reads like a Forsyth thriller (part The Odessa file, part The fist of God.)

Attachments

• argentina_missile.pdf
    750.9 KB · Views: 35
  • egypt_missile.pdf
    965.6 KB · Views: 21
The project never really entirely died. Egyptian scientists (i.e Yahya al-Mashadd) were working in the nuclear, pharmaceutical and missile industry in Iraq.

Egypt and Argentina, despite officially withdrawing still tried continuing development through Iraq.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805_225955.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_225955.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 39

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805_225423.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_225423.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230805_225901.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_225901.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 22
Comitte of Appropriations has a publically available file on foreign operations and programmes, most of the document covers either iraqi programmes or intergovernmental cooperation between iraq and other arab countries

There are also many points developed on this topic in the book "El Proyecto Misilistico Condor II - Pablo Gabriel de León"

Dany Coham published an article on Egyptian CW and BW capabilities and outlined cooperation between Iraq and Egypt in this field.

Attachments

• 1000043607.jpg
    1000043607.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 25
In 'Deadly business : legal deals and outlaw weapons : the arming of Iran and Iraq, 1975 to the present' there are multiple chapters on Condor and the related Iraqi projects. Mostly focusing on the extensive role of MBB (Messerschmidt Bölkow Blohm) in its development. It seems extremely well researched, the author having spoken with many of the involved engineers from MBB and having consulted both government and MBB archives.
The book is available for borrow through the internet archive here

The relevant chapters are:
11. Condor Flight!
12. Stopping Condor
13. Warhead

The project that Wolfgang Brunner had come to Rome to discuss was “FK-120." This was a cover for Condor. “FK” was short for the German term ‘flugkorper,” meaning a missile or flying object. The 120" meant that the missile had a range of 120 kilometers, or about 80 miles. The client for the FK-120 was the Arab Republic of Egypt.

In its initial stages, as Brunner told it, the FK-120 was technically somewhat different from Condor. “We prepared a lay-out for the FK-120. FK-120 was a single stage missile. There was no separation of the booster. It was steered with rear fins until the end.” Additionally, the FK-120 had a high-explosive payload of about 400 kilograms, or some 900 pounds. It carried what the professionals call a sub-munitions warhead, a kind of cluster-bomb technology. But its target accuracy wasn't precise enough—around .001—to make it a tactical weapon. “For sub-munitions you really need very good hitting accuracy,” Brunner noted.

None of the FK-120's particulars initially exceeded what was legal, according to the Missile Technology Control Regime. But the project's sub-systems—without Brunner being involved—soon matched those of the Condor. S.N.I.A. was later contracted to provide specialized propellant knowledge for the FK-120/Condor project, and was prepared to enter into a joint venture with MBB to develop it. Consen separately recruited some of S.N.I.A's, and MBB's, best missile engineers.
[...]
Brunner contended that “Vector,” or Condor, from MBB's vantage point, never reached the point where any advanced work really happened. “We came to the conclusion that to correct and to improve upon Condor-1, and to get more accuracy, we needed a second stage liquid motor. This was because the efficiency of the motor was poor, we had no access to the thermo pumps, and the fuel was injected by pressure. The payload was 300 kg at this stage. This was in 1985 and 1986.
During 1986 and 1987, MBB personnel at Schrobenhausen, working within the framework of the FK-120 contract—alias Badr-2000 and Condor—produced three warheads for the Condor missile project. One of the warheads, called MUSCO, included two types of units. The first was a conventional high explosive warhead. A second was a kind of fragmentation device encased in a modular dispenser unit that could be used to hit and destroy enemy airfields. Word got out in 1988 that MBB had supplied this type of unit to Argentina, Egypt and more indirectly Iraq, upsetting British defense officials who contended that such a weapon could be useful to the Argentinians in attacking British forces in the Falklands.

According to Wolfgang Brunner, who had a responsibility for designing the Condor missile, the MUSCO was a small-scale derivative of the company’s MW-1 module dispenser bomb units, which included the MUSA and MUSPA warheads already in production for NATO, the German army and the European fighter bomber, the Tornado. (Brunner carefully pointed out that he himself had no responsibility for the FK-120 warhead and was involved in other MBB projects when work on it was undertaken at Schrobenhausen.) The “MUS in the MBB bomb designations meant “multi-splitter,” German for a multi-fragmentation bomb. The “A” in MUSA stood for “Active.” The “PA” in MUSPA meant “Passive.” The “CO” in MUSCO was short for “Condor.” The use of the term MUSCO within the FK-120 project belied the MBB pretense that FK-120 and Condor were separate projects.

A third type of warhead filled out the Condor package. This was potentially the most dangerous: the fuel-air explosive.
[...]
When the Egyptians saw they couldn’t easily get an F.A.E. bomb supply from the United States in 1985—though they could get information on the technology at a price—they turned elsewhere. More specifically, they approached an old friend, the company that had been with them in Egypt in the 19605 building experimental warplanes, and was in daily contact with them because of Condor—namely, MBB.

The MBB warhead team at Schrobenhausen worked hard on the FK-120 Condor missile and its F.A.E. and MUSCO warheads. The missile itself had pressure, heat transfer and structural works tests through the fall of 1986 and into 1987. Additionally, MBB undertook wind tunnel and interference tests. The MUSCO and F.A.E. warheads had parachute tests in the fall of 1986.

By the spring of 1987, progress on the various FK-120 warheads had proceeded to a point where more general testing could begin. A team of Egyptian officers made an official visit to Schrobenhausen on April 7th to watch a demonstration. MBB exhibited both the MUSCO and F.A.E., according to MBB documents that came into my possession. Both warheads “got put through their paces.”

Last edited:
Como mencioné, se firmaron acuerdos separados con Egipto, Irak, Brasil y *quizás* Corea del Norte, así como con muchos contratistas internacionales.
Hola, con Brasil y Corea del Norte no se firmó nada y tampoco hubo ningún tipo de cooperación. Brasil en esos años era el rival y una muy posible hipótesis de conflicto para la Argentina.
Tampoco se firmó con Irak, tampoco hay nada oficial, si hubo transferencia de tecnología fue vía Egipto.

The most complete study on the Condor II missile project is a university thesis by Pablo de León, it has copyright but its access is public and free, in addition to the author's authorization to upload it to the internet, it can be downloaded for free from the University website.

You can download it from this link:

El Proyecto Misilístico Cóndor / The Condor Missile Project

Su Origen, Desarrollo y Cancelación / Its Origin, Development and Cancellation

Autor: Pablo de León / Author: Pablo de León

Tesis de Doctorado de la Universidad de San Andrés / Doctoral Thesis of the University of San Andrés

I shared the work of Pablo de León in post 40 of this topic:

Some books published in Argentina about the Condor II.

The first two are from 1992, they talk more about the political part, the external pressures to cancel the project, etc.

The 3rd book, written by Pablo de León, is the most reliable, since almost 20 years after the cancellation of the project he was able to access more reliable sources and many of the military and civilians who participated in the project. Some with reserved identity

Attachments

• EqHBQnyW4AMs4YD.jpg
    EqHBQnyW4AMs4YD.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 96
  • barcelona-villalonga-relaciones_carnales (1).jpg
    barcelona-villalonga-relaciones_carnales (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 10
  • El-proyecto-del-misil-Condor_web.jpg
    El-proyecto-del-misil-Condor_web.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 70
This other book is written as a spy novel, I have not read it yet, and the author participated in the project working for one of the weapons export/import companies of that time, so he was not subject to any military secrecy or obligation.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This is one of the first books published in Argentina about the Condor II. I uploaded it in two parts because its size does not allow me to upload the entire file

eqhbqnyw4ams4yd-jpg.718306

Attachments

• Operación Condor II_Daniel Santoro_01-30.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Operación Condor II_Daniel Santoro_31-65.pdf
    10.6 MB · Views: 8
El Proyecto Misilístico Cóndor / The Condor Missile Project

Su Origen, Desarrollo y Cancelación / Its Origin, Development and Cancellation

Autor: Pablo de León / Author: Pablo de León

Tesis de Doctorado de la Universidad de San Andrés / Doctoral Thesis of the University of San Andrés

el-proyecto-del-misil-condor_web-jpg.718308

Attachments

• El Proyecto Misilistico Condor II - Pablo Gabriel de León.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 14