Chengdu J-20 news and analysis Part III

No dice. Tried with and without VPN, changing VPN to other countries, same thing. Oh well.

I got your back :cool:

I've seen that one. I was hoping somebody had the entire performance.
And? SU-35, F-22, SU-57 have shown very impressive maneuverability and flight characteristics, is there more to the J-20 or are the Chinese holding back? I know the F-15 has impressive capabilities and they are not shown publicly, reason it's been around for so long.

No dice. Tried with and without VPN, changing VPN to other countries, same thing. Oh well.

And? SU-35, F-22, SU-57 have shown very impressive maneuverability and flight characteristics, is there more to the J-20 or are the Chinese holding back? I know the F-15 has impressive capabilities and they are not shown publicly, reason it's been around for so long.

I think you should read and rate it in context ... no-one claimed to be super-duper-hyper impressive, but "If I'm reading this correctly then for the first time the PLAAF took the J-20 a little more "off the leash" at the 2022 Changchun Air Show after all previous flight displays were rather tired flybys:
1f62e.png

https://twitter.com/TrepverterA/status/1563410562020651009

I think you should read and rate it in context ... no-one claimed to be super-duper-hyper impressive, but "If I'm reading this correctly then for the first time the PLAAF took the J-20 a little more "off the leash" at the 2022 Changchun Air Show after all previous flight displays were rather tired flybys:
1f62e.png

https://twitter.com/TrepverterA/status/1563410562020651009
No need to get so defensive. I was merely looking for the entire performance for the entertainment value.

More specifically, from my readings (including from @Deino) I think the early J-20 production lots appear to use the AL-31FM2 from Salyut, which is uprated to about 142 kN, or 32,000 lbf, of static augmented thrust. Newer lots use a variant of the WS-10 (not sure if the designation WS-10C is official), likely with similar output.

Last edited:
What else would he say? Not trying to be offensive but beyond obvious allegiances it is important to remember most generals and admirals are amphibians. Half soldier, and half politician. This has always been the case but in our country one side has definitely become more dominant.

The J-20 is nothing to look down on. In many respects the Chinese have surpassed the Russians in the aviation field. I think with ws-15/izd 30 type engines it will match or even best western fifth gen fighters in certain fields. The Chinese have advanced a lot in electronic warfare and communications. Same can be said about the advances in A2A and A2G weaponry. Now add to this a very large and powerful radar and electro optical sensors and ability to supercruise throughout most of its mission when it gets the new engines. Not to mention the new two seat variety with UAVs slaved to the back seat operator.

The thing is a beast already, and will get more potent as time progresses. I will never underestimate the Chinese or their ambitions. They will not allow themselves to become a tool to another power again.

What else would he say? Not trying to be offensive but beyond obvious allegiances it is important to remember most generals and admirals are amphibians. Half soldier, and half politician. This has always been the case but in our country one side has definitely become more dominant.

The J-20 is nothing to look down on. In many respects the Chinese have surpassed the Russians in the aviation field. I think with ws-15/izd 30 type engines it will match or even best western fifth gen fighters in certain fields. The Chinese have advanced a lot in electronic warfare and communications. Same can be said about the advances in A2A and A2G weaponry. Now add to this a very large and powerful radar and electro optical sensors and ability to supercruise throughout most of its mission when it gets the new engines. Not to mention the new two seat variety with UAVs slaved to the back seat operator.

The thing is a beast already, and will get more potent as time progresses. I will never underestimate the Chinese or their ambitions. They will not allow themselves to become a tool to another power again.

+1 No one should underestimate the Chinese.

Having a capability requires equipment, personnel, and training. With the J-20 still being relatively new in the PLAAF force structure, the TTPs that would enable effective employment may simply not be as developed and refined. That said, it certainly it shouldn’t be underestimated, as we need to make a honest assessment of the capabilities and limitations.

The US military has had a history of overestimating not underestimating. Up to the point of the Ukraine invasion most US led NATO exercises and wargames had Russians beating the crap out of it.

With that being said, even though the performance and quality of china's equipment are for the most part just claims, they have proven that their ability to ramp up production over short amount of time with their ship building capability at least speaks to their technological advancement as manufacturing capability itself relies on advanced technology.

Translation: Looks like we finally have a clear image of the J-20's cockpit...or at least a simulator of it

Not too bad. There is space & apparently clarity in information display. The seating position is however too low for my own taste.

Is it just me or anyone else feel like the window of J-20 EOTS is slightly curve inward instead of flat?. Especially the rear window?

2.PNG
3.PNG
J-20 EOTS up close.jpg

Evolution of what became J-20.View attachment 682310
This is the result of my textual research:D

In 1998, the aerodynamic layout of the combination of canard wing and strake wing was determined.

Around 1998 to 2002-2003, CAC scheme is still the belly intake, and it should be in 2002-2003 that it really became the two-sided intake scheme that we see now.

The following is imaginary diagram of this scheme that I drew.

jxxts N.jpg
LDSFM@X$H9DJO5MZ4{)OP3Q.png

Evolution of what became J-20.View attachment 682310
This is the result of my textual research:D

In 1998, the aerodynamic layout of the combination of canard wing and strake wing was determined.

Around 1998 to 2002-2003, CAC scheme is still the belly intake, and it should be in 2002-2003 that it really became the two-sided intake scheme that we see now.

The following is imaginary diagram of this scheme that I drew.

View attachment 685170
View attachment 685171
That looks. . . familiar.

Attachments

• J-20_IRST.jpg
    J-20_IRST.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 91
  • lead-J-20.jpg
    lead-J-20.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 85
I think the difference is that the J-20 was probably pulled into the shot from a real image of a J-20, but the drones flying alongside were never real in the first place.