Chengdu J-20 news and analysis Part III

I guess the gaps matter. Almost monolithic, in front view, F-22 and F-35.
Su-57 is a movable part of the influx and a gap in the movable panel of the air intake. The slot of the front horizontal tail of the J-20

On the F-22 the elevator is located directly behind the main wing, not below, like on the F-15 for instance. I assume this is a measure to reduce frontal RCS.

mcdonnell_f-15-3d-view.png

Any chance of a summary in English?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any official news that it is the WS-15 engine on the 2055 J-20 prototype? If it is then the PLAAF will have the engine that they have always wanted to power the J-20.

Any official news that it is the WS-15 engine on the 2055 J-20 prototype? If it is then the PLAAF will have the engine that they have always wanted to power the J-20.

Im pretty sure and akin to the first two prototypes we won’t get any official confirmation… so day we’ll see them in operational grey with serial numbers and then we know it is ready. Best IMO to hope for are some news and clear images at the Zhuhai airshow in November.

Well, two WS-15s powered prototype 2052 when it first flew mid 2023 last year (though of course not "officially confirmed" as this kind of news never is), so that milestone was achieved nine months ago.

The pictures aren't quite optimal, but it looks like prototype 2055 is similar to 2052 in terms of engine nozzle geometry, and it would make sense that further prototypes of J-20A would continue to be powered by WS-15s.

Interesting Deino, pity the aircraft number was not visible for proper identification. No doubt sombody will release a better photo with the identification number visible in due course.

First time that I have seen a J-20 with twin WS-15 engines, I take it that the engine is nearly ready for full scale production? :cool:

So how many WS-15s will be produced before the engine enters production? And will all the J-20As that are currently in service get the engine as a block upgrade? Or will it only be fitted to the newer J-20s? I guess I have a lot of questions about this new engine.

First time that I have seen a J-20 with twin WS-15 engines, I take it that the engine is nearly ready for full scale production? :cool:

The first J-20 with twin WS-15s was serial 2052 from June last 2023, for those keeping tabs, it was posted here:

So how many WS-15s will be produced before the engine enters production? And will all the J-20As that are currently in service get the engine as a block upgrade? Or will it only be fitted to the newer J-20s? I guess I have a lot of questions about this new engine.

So regarding current nomenclature:
"J-20" refers to the existing in production variants powered by WS-10s (and very early initially by Al-31s for a batch or two)
"J-20A" refers to the new variant with the external differences being the revised dorsal hump, the beaked radome, and the WS-15s (though the first J-20A prototype serial 2051 was apparently fitted with WS-10s, but all other prototypes since then seem to be WS-15s)

I personally suspect WS-15s will only be fitted to J-20A airframes (the differences between J-20A and J-20 being more than merely what is external).

So what will happen to the J-20As that only have the WS-10s fitted will they be scrapped or find their way into museums after having all the RAM removed.

So what will happen to the J-20As that only have the WS-10s fitted will they be scrapped or find their way into museums after having all the RAM removed.

Why retiring and even more scrapping almost 300 more modern J-20s - even if still powered by two WS-10C engines - when there are still several unit flying J-7, J-8 and old Flankers?