ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617910200063.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617910200063.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 12
The following may be of interest. It shows Mr. Heintz at the controls of his first machine, the Zenith (c/n 01).

Attachments

• Aviation magazine international 15 aout 1970.jpg
    Aviation magazine international 15 aout 1970.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 11
Chris Heintz was Swiss, but educated in Strassbourg ... when Strassbourg was under French control. Chris worked on the Concorde, then for Avions Pierre Robin. While at Robin, he designed some all-metal, low-wing sport airplanes that shared the basic out lines of his later Zenith line of kits. After Robin, Heintz moved to Ontario, Canada and set up a factory near Toronto.
Later, Zenith opened a factory in Mexico, Missouri, which is now managed by his son.
I have met Chris a couple of times. The first time he came all the way to speak to our EAA chapter in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Then I met him again at Oshkosh.
Odd how you say that Zenith is the most popular kitplane in the USA. RV tries to make the same claim. Either way, it is clear that homebuilders prefer pre-cut, pre-punched, pre-bent sheet metal that is held together by rivets.
I have flown in a buddy's Zenith 601 a couple of times and found it more comfortable, with better visibility than any Cessna or Piper or Grumman-American light single.

This very sad news report may be of interest.