Yugoslav Grom SAM

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've just found a photo showing a prototype of the Yugoslav Grom surface-to-air missile. Apparently it is being displayed at a museum (probably somewhere in Serbia).
At the time I can't check my books out in a search of details on this project - as far as I can recall now is the Yugoslavians worked on several missile projects, esp. in the late 1950s and 1960s (these projects were cancelled after Yugoslavia purchased anti-aircraft and anti-tank missiles from the Soviet Union) and later, when they tried (unsuccesfully) to build an indigineous defence potential.

As for "Grom" designator it was surely used in the late 1980s for an air-to-surface missile, so the SAM must have been an earlier design (it's unlikely that at any given time two different weapon systems were being developed simultaneously under the same designation/code name).

Perhaps somebody else has more details on this fascinating project? Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• Yugo_Grom_SAM.JPG
    Yugo_Grom_SAM.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 477
I wonder if this is the 30 km range two-stage SAM developed in the late 1950s? But the only reference I have been to the latter gives the designation ‘Vulkan’.

Grom - Yugoslav version of the Kh-23 missile, developed in the early eighties
Grom-B - TV-guided version from Serbia's Military-Technical Institute in the mid-late 1990s; uses seeker based on that of AGM-65B Maverick
The picture is from the 1985 JNA military parade in Belgrade.

Attachments

• orao1.jpg
    orao1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 360
bigvlada said:
Grom - Yugoslav version of the Kh-23 missile, developed in the early eighties
Grom-B - TV-guided version from Serbia's Military-Technical Institute in the mid-late 1990s; uses seeker based on that of AGM-65B Maverick
The picture is from the 1985 JNA military parade in Belgrade.
Its more like one from Bullpup american air to surface family.