• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Your opinions on the "Alternative History and Future Speculation" section wanted

What do you think of the 'Alternative History and Future Speculation' forum section?

• It's my favorite section.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • It's fine. Keep it!

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • I don't really care either way

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • It's not my thing, but I can ignore it

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • It's off-topic for the forum, on balance I'd rather limit or ditch it

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Nuke it from orbit (it's the only way to be sure)

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
So... sometimes one wants to ask 'what if this was actually built - which of its horrible flaws would've been the first to doom it'... those questions come up... and without having some forum for it - it will pollute the other forums.

I'd personally rather have a more focused section for discussing the pros and cons of technologies (e.g. traversing torpedo tubes on the Surcouf and other prewar submarines)... a kind of military science / analysis forum... but I'll take the alternative history forum if it is the only option :)

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
My two cents

Politics rather than technical or even economic (many economic issues are down played or blown out of proportion to suit political agendas) factors are key in why some projects progress and why others are cancelled.

I have personally worked on a number of development, build and sustainment projects where the public perception of the project is very different from the reality. I have literally held design submissions in my hand for what would have been the perfect solution to a defence capability requirement, lower risk, tighter schedule, lower cost than the decision actually made, this particular case there was pork barreling involved as well as sexing up a particular company for sale.

I have detailed knowledge of the selection process for an important capability that was deliberately designed to ensure the solution was no where near as capable and effective as the original concept. I was also there when extreme measures were being considered to increase capability in the exact areas that capability was deliberately limited. Then same project I was there as the selected platform was literally falling apart because of the known design issues. The platform is now end of life but despite the whole thing being a monumental screw up that failed in almost every way the official line is it was a resounding success and a new generation (with most of the same issues) has now been ordered.

Where I stand on the Alt history and future speculation is coloured by experience on the projects I have worked on, my knowledge that the selected option may not be the best, that the official story often isn't the real story. Basically I often wonder what I don't know about other projects that seem a little off, were there better options, did political interference derail the better options, did the decision makers ignore advice that was subsequently proven correct, were vested interests able to hobble projects to free up money for their preferred capabilities?

I see this section as a good place to ask these questions, why didn't this or that happen? Was the problem political or technical? Has the official story been tailored to fit an agenda etc? My favourite, logically this or that should have been proposed, does anyone know if it was?

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I have a strong and vivid imagination but this doesn't prevents me from learning things and doing serious research. It is a matter of mental balance between the two.
As long as one doesn't blur the boundary between real world facts and fiction, no problem.

The pleasure of research and discovery is my driving force. In fact sometimes some real world past events are better than fiction.

Case in point 1 "Reiner gamma anomaly" is a very real feature on the Moon... which purely coincidentals but rather astonishing parallels with Clarke AMT-1

Case in point 2 "Edward Teller" No fiction writer could have invented a similar fictional character. It goes far beyond the Dr. Strangelove used caricature; at times, there are touches of Bond Supervillain in that man, mixed with the "crazy scientist" trope, cranked well past 11.
Also that man and his geoengineering schemes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Christofilos