Your first What if subject

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
What was the what-if picture that first got you hooked?

Mine was at the back of an old Janes Fighting Ships in my local library when I was at school in the late 60s. This artists impression of CVA 01 captured the excitement of a project that was to never be.

Anyone got theirs?

Attachments

• cva01-4.jpg
    cva01-4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 203
If we are speaking about What-If, the CVA 01 may not be an appropriate example, as it
actually was a project, although never realised. If presented in, say, the colours of the Swiss
Navy, equipped with DH Venoms and F +W C-3605, stationed on Lake Geneva, that would
be a What-If to me ! ;)

Jemiba said:
If we are speaking about What-If, the CVA 01 may not be an appropriate example, as it
actually was a project, although never realised. If presented in, say, the colours of the Swiss
Navy, equipped with DH Venoms and F +W C-3605, stationed on Lake Geneva, that would
be a What-If to me ! ;)

I think the meaning is 'What if the CVA-01 got built?' A Swiss CVA-01 would be a 'What the hell!?' for me. ;)

Well, it may have been a slight exaggeration, but looking on dedicated What-If sites, you'll find
things like Me 262 in Bavarian colours, or B-29 captured by the Germans and supplied to the
Finnish airforce ...
I just wanted to point out, that the CVA 01 in itself is hardly a What-If and that we may be talking
about the unbuild project, that infected us with that virus.

As far as I can remember, I was looking for information on the F-117 because I wanted to build one that was 'a bit different'. Then I stumbled upon the whatifmodelers website, and the rest is history.

index.php

Jemiba

You have a point. I am afraid that I am showing my age.

What-if got started in the 70s with illustrations like the one of TSR2 and 1121 in RAF colours in the RAF Yearbook. Then came the massive wave of Luftwaffe 46 what ifs.

It is only more recently that a whole genre of what if with completely unlikely subjects has taken hold on many sites. I think I am right in saying that initially there were very few enthusiasts for whacky subjects like Phantoms in Medieval colours or Papal Galleys with Otomat. However, these are now much more popular than the original more feasible what ifs.

Then, as I understand, we are talking about "never built" projects and not
totally imaginative things.
For me it were, IIRC, the articles in the German Flugrevue mag about the planned Do 335,
or Me 262 derivatives and then the look into Kens/Novarra "Die deutschen Flugzeuge
1933 -1945". And I was always looking for their allied equivalents, but those were hard
to find then !