WWII CAPTIVAIR Simulators

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure which category to post this topic in, so I figured I'd give this a try.

CAPTIVAIR was an early simulator developed during WWII to train pilots on actual aircraft that were not multi-crewed. I recently discovered this when I was trying to figure out what these concrete stands were at a regional airport. Long time airport managers did not know what they were or exactly how they were used. It turns out to be a captive procedural trainer developed by CAPTIVAIR and developed by engineer and WWII female pilot Mary Feik.

I'm looking for any information on the CAPTIVAIR training system and in particular, any photos that may have included the CAPTIVAIR system with P-39 Airacorbras, P-40 Warhawks, and P-51 Mustangs (all of which were based at the Thomasville Army Airfield in WWII when it served as an RTU). (Note: the CAPTIVAIR photo below is of a P-38 at an unknown location).

Attachments

• P38 Trainer.jpg
    P38 Trainer.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 113
  • P38 CAPTIVAIR.jpg
    P38 CAPTIVAIR.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 109
Weird, were the aircraft in flying condition or lost to static use only?

The aircraft were available for reuse as frontline fighter aircraft. The mounts had a cushion material under the wings and attachment at hard points on the aircraft. However, there were some airframes that I have found while researching CAPTIVAIR that were damaged do to ground accidents and were relegated to the simulator role.
Below is a poor photo of a CAPTIVAIR instructor cab. The instructor would speak over the aircraft's radio and a duplicate set of aircraft instruments would be in the cab to instruct students. I don't know how these instruments were connected to provide data from the aircraft.

Attachments

• CAPTIVAIR_Cab.jpg
    CAPTIVAIR_Cab.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 70
Picture of P-51 Mustang on a Captivair stand, which is being inspected by Mary Fiek, the designer of the system in WWII.

Attachments

• P51 Captivair.jpg
    P51 Captivair.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 33
  • P-51D Captiveair.jpg
    P-51D Captiveair.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
  • P51 Front.jpg
    P51 Front.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 27