Status
Not open for further replies.
3 hrs to design a vaccine and 6 months before they can start trials? What's wrong with this picture?

A few hours for initial design of the vaccine protein sequence. A few weeks to create the messenger RNA that would actually deliver the protein sequence. Then a couple of months to conduct safety and efficacy trials in animals. The goal is Phase 1 human trials in three months, which would be the land speed record for such a process, half the time of the previous fastest vaccine development for something comparable (Zika). And the odds are that the virus outbreak will have burned out by then anyway.

Last edited:

Right now Italian gov. suspended all the flights from and to China.

3 hrs to design a vaccine and 6 months before they can start trials? What's wrong with this picture?

A few hours for initial design of the vaccine protein sequence. A few weeks to create the messenger RNA that would actually deliver the protein sequence. Then a couple of months to conduct safety and efficacy trials in animals. The goal is Phase 1 human trials in three months, which would be the land speed record for such a process, half the time of the previous fastest vaccine development for something comparable (Zika). And the odds are that the virus outbreak will have burned out by then anyway.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we can reliably simulate it to the point we can skip the animal step.

I’m no expert, but from the description here I don’t think this is Spanish Flu 2.0

Interesting discussion of the stats in this blog by the author Nicola Griffith:
"As of right now (17:30 UTC-8, 26 January 2020) the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has an infectivity rate, or R0 (pronounced R-zero) of 2.6 and appears to be accelerating. (For comparison, the flu pandemic of 1918 had an R0 = 2, and ordinary seasonal flu = 1-2.)

The 2019-nCoV fatality rate (the number of people infected who subsequently die of the virus) = 4%. (1918 flu pandemic = 2%, seasonal flu = <0.1%.)"

WTH US? Do better. (Of course they have to weigh it against bringing back to the US but I'd think there'd be a way to deal with that.)

The UK Department of Health today with the latest figures gives a fatality rate of 2%. Buts its far too early to estimate how severe it is in these early stages.

https://theconversation.com/is-the-...andemic-a-biologist-explains-the-clues-130766

My take on the Lancet/BBC data was based on the average age of the 99 hospitalised, being 61 and was combined with having pre existing conditions.The equivalent for the 1918 Spanish Flu was recorded as merely 28 and it took people irrespective of their prior health.

All the reports say there’s not a statistical sample yet to calculate a figure, and I guess that equally applies to the above.

Last edited:

"Please don't think that if you read someone's tweet and it has been retweeted a lot, it's an accurate source of information. It is not. Look for reputable organisations to get your information from," he said, citing the WHO as one example.
Unfortunately the WHO has damaged it's own credibility to at least some degree during this crisis so far.

Unfortunately the WHO has damaged it's own credibility to at least some degree during this crisis so far.

Looks to me like the WHO can't win a trick. Remember the reaction when they declared the Swine Flu outbreak a pandemic? It wasn't. They got their fingers burnt and have been cautious ever since. This is just an example of that. They are still learning their way IMO.

Looks to me like the WHO can't win a trick. Remember the reaction when they declared the Swine Flu outbreak a pandemic? It wasn't. They got their fingers burnt and have been cautious ever since. This is just an example of that. They are still learning their way IMO.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess. Things like this can get out of hand extremely fast.

An older title sequence that I'm surprised has not popped up sooner, but will no doubt crop up in many of the conspiracy theories about this virus...

At least a couple of conspiracy theories that have been going around have been centered on Wuhan's BSL-4 lab, the only public civilian one in the PRC.

And at least some people will take this latest development as 'where there is smoke, there is fire', no doubt:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...anently-suspended-from-twitter-for-harassment

Last edited:
Something a little bit lighter to relieve some of the pressure:

In the United States, Google Trends calculated that 57% of the people that searched one of those terms searched for “beer virus,” and the remaining 43% searched for “corona beer virus.”

Don’t forget the slice of lime....

My take on the Lancet/BBC data was based on the average age of the 99 hospitalised, being 61 and was combined with having pre existing conditions.The equivalent for the 1918 Spanish Flu was recorded as merely 28 and it took people irrespective of their prior health.

All the reports say there’s not a statistical sample yet to calculate a figure, and I guess that equally applies to the above.

While I agree with your conclusion that we likely need more data - and with a newly species-hopped virus we may be chasing a moving target as it mutates in its new host - age as a factor is complicated by modern research indicating Spanish Flu killed a lot of its victims via a cytokine storm - basically the immune system going berserk - which is why it killed so many young, fit people. Typical flus kill the young and the old, so we likely don't know which way this one will end up going.

(The Washington Post via msn.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom