World's Fastest Multi-engine Piston Aircraft: The Story of Republic's XF-12

Excellent book. Especially loved the what-ifs had the Rainbow entered production, such as no need for a jet tanker for SAC, as a "KF-11" had the speed to keep up in level flight with the B-47 and B-52.

or KF-12?

That version is purely what-if from the writer's imagination or has any real factual basis?

pometablava said:

Since that version would not have existed until after 1948, it would have been a KR-12 anyway, and very possibly a KR-12A or -12B, given the likely structural changes from the passenger/photo versions.

Finally i received my own copy of this fantastic book!
What i can say... great work, Mike Machat!

among the photos i have previously seen, there are many ones from secretprojects!! :)

I can't imagine a "KF-11" being worthwhile for refueling bombers, even with its speed, where would it carry the fuel?

unclejim said:
Excellent book. Especially loved the what-ifs had the Rainbow entered production, such as no need for a jet tanker for SAC, as a "KF-11" had the speed to keep up in level flight with the B-47 and B-52.

Underfloor, as in the KC-135. My point was and is -would a high speed piston tanker delayed the coming of the Jet Age in commercial airliners? A KR-12 tanker would have eliminated the immediate need for a jet tanker for the USAF strategic bomber fleet. Such a jet tanker would have been ordered in due course, but Boeing had rolled the dice on the Dash 80. They would have continued to build bombers, but without the 717/707s would they have remained in the commercial field?

The F-11 didn't have much floor either, but if it's a typo & was MEANT to be KF-12/KR-12, that makes more sense.

unclejim said:
Underfloor, as in the KC-135. My point was and is -would a high speed piston tanker delayed the coming of the Jet Age in commercial airliners? A KR-12 tanker would have eliminated the immediate need for a jet tanker for the USAF strategic bomber fleet. Such a jet tanker would have been ordered in due course, but Boeing had rolled the dice on the Dash 80. They would have continued to build bombers, but without the 717/707s would they have remained in the commercial field?

Great book. But I must got the second print run. It's softcover and the color section's black and white now. Otherwise, a very excellent read.