Working out a (Fictional) aircrafts dimensions from a photograph.

Graham1973

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Over in the 'Fictional Aircraft from TV and Movies' thread I posted a series of screen caps from a 15 second night time air-raid sequence that appears in the 2019 Turkish film 'Cicero'. For reasons that will probably never be determined the people doing the special-effects decided to create a 'frankenplane' (From this point I'm going to refer to it as an He-211.) rather than the B-17s that would have been used in a somewhat atypical USAAF air-raid (At the time in the war the story is set the RAF had transitioned to night bombing and the USAAF had stuck with daylight bombing.)

The He-211 is clearly closely related to the He-111 as the two screen caps show (If anyone can translate the captions in picture one I would be grateful.). And at an 'eyball' estimate I'd judge them to be roughly the same size as a B-17, but I think it might be possible to refine that a bit. The second attached picture is the closest view of the aircraft in the sequence, as it shows standard Jumo 211 mounts it's probably safe to use the engine/propeller as a way to 'scale' the image.

I've never done this before, I suspect that the dimensions of the He-111z might also prove useful in this endeavour, however I'm not sure. If anyone can help, please reply below as I'm sure that others might find this discussion interesting.

Attachments

• Wever's_Dream_Sort_Of_001.png
    Wever's_Dream_Sort_Of_001.png
    796.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Wever's_Dream_Sort_Of_004.png
    Wever's_Dream_Sort_Of_004.png
    609.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for finding that. I will ask the question once I've worked out the best wording... And I'll report back here when I'm done.

Other than asking the makers, you have to start from something you know or can guess the size of, like the engine, or a human, or something.

Besides contacting the designer of the aircraft, I would go with the dimensions of the He-111Z. The length, and height looks about the same. However, the wingspan you will probably have to calculate. By my calculations, it would be about 103.8 feet. I used detailed blueprints of the He-111Z on the web and took measurements from there.

Looking at the screenshots posted, the aircraft has one heck of a wingspan compared to the fuselage. It would be difficult to get any more detailed measurements.

Last edited:
Operation Cicero
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9msKz9G5_Uk

A German build USAAF bomber makes a raid over German city
and Hitler? get executed by Wehrmacht...

oh what the hell ?!
Seeing that Trailer, i almost spit my coffee out,
I have no Idea what the movie production were smoking, to pull off that kind madness.

back to topic
no idea why the He-211, instead of B-17
but its bomb-bay internal ls off a B-17 !
i would guess that He-211 would from characteristic, similar to B-17
That imply also mass and size of aircraft

length 74 ft 4 in (22.66 m)
wingspan 103 ft 9 in (31.62 m)
max takeoff weight 65,500 lb (29,700 kg)
4 × Wright R-1820-97 engine 1,200 hp (895 kW) each

so the He-211 is stretch in length and wingspan
4 x Junkers Jumo 211F-1 engines, 1,300 hp (970 kW) each

To compare with He-111 Z1
length (16,38 m)
wingspan 115 ft 6 in (35,20 m)
max takeoff weight 62,611 lb (28.400 kg)
5 x Junkers Jumo 211F-1 engines, 1,300 hp (970 kW) each