Why Does this E-3 Nearly Crash the Tanker?

Broncazonk

What the hell?
Reaction score
Here is some interesting (terrifying) footage. An E-3 tries to connect to a tanker and then all hell breaks loose. WHY?

Is this:

1) E-3 pilot error?
2) Tanker pilot error?
3) A random spot of turbulence?
4) An areodynamic issue between the two aircraft?

Here is one explanation: "It's because of the aerodynamic forces that occur between aircraft in close proximity. You have what is called a bow wave from the tanker so just after disconnect the AWACs got too low and too far forward so when it made a slight nose up correction it caused the pitch in the tanker to nose down cause the near miss. A breakaway should have been called by the boomer."

I can hear an alarm going off inside the tanker. What is that?

I've heard that the E-3 was structurally damaged due to the sharp negative G's and some crew inside were injured. (Credit Ty over at Aviationintel for posting this.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLiAAVeYhk

Bronc

no pilot error, otherwise they would be all death
in fact the pilots skill prevented the collision

the Alarm sound is collision waring

It's seems a combination of aircrafts aerodynamic and turbulence
because the Tanker produce hell of turbulence with it engine, were other big bird must pass to reach refuel.
if this happen in turbulent air film, this video is the result

I think the basic problem is the E3 got too close to the tanker. The local flow field around the front of the E3 starts to change airflow around the back of the tanker (especially the horizontal stab), resulting in unexpected and uncommanded pitch movements in the tanker. The E3 pilot reacts with a sudden nose down command to avoid a mid air, which probably made the pitch movements even worse in the tanker, given their proximity. This may have caused some damage and injuries, but it would have been much worse for both aircraft if they contacted.

There are several other YouTube videos of E3 refuellings that show two things:
1. the E3 is generally further back and lower at connect than what we see in this video. Yes, the boomer should have called for the E3 to back off.
2. When the E3 disconnects normally it VERY SLOWLY moves back and down relative to the tanker. No big movements until there is more distance between the two aircraft.

Bill Walker said:
I think the basic problem is the E3 got too close to the tanker.

Quite clearly. The telescoping boom is almost completely collapsed, meaning there was no room to maneuver... had the E3 lurched forward a few feet while connected, the boom would've mashed right into the plane.

I'll bet that was one hell of a ride during the descent. If the crew wasn't seat-belt in, they made contact with (and remained pinned to) the roof for about 7 or 8 seconds and then they got slammed on the floor.

Bronc