What if there was a Japan to USA version of Operation Paperclip?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
What if Japanese engineers moved to the USA under a variation of the Operation Paperclip that brought hundreds of German engineers and scientists to the USA.

Considering how well Japan was able to produce facsimilies of Argus pulse-jet engines, Messerschmitt 163 rocket-powered interceptor and Me.262 twin-jet fighter, in a short time with incomplete drawings from Germany. If those same Japanese engineers were assigned to American airframe and engine manufacturers (e.g. General Electric's jet engine division), would they have been able to quickly develop more reliable and efficient jet engines and jet-powered airplanes?
I am trying to emphasis Japanese expertise in "quickly developing" new technologies with limited resources. WI an American manufacturer got a contract to develop an X Plane, but under a tight schedule and only a tiny budget?

This "What If?" was inspired by a thread on Secret Early Aircraft Projects, Japanese "Special Attack" Projects of WW2..

Last edited:
Japan lacked the technologies of interest to develop a japanese dedicated Project Paperclip

In aeronautics and nuclear power, sure. But biological warfare... well, Ishii and his ilk weren't exactly Americas crowning achievement in the field of justice.

Last edited:
The problem was, that while Japanese technology have some interesting points, there weren't advanced enough to validate further research. For example, Japanese IR-guided "Ke-Go" bomb; it was much more advanced that anything Germans fielded, but significantly less advanced than American own IR-guided "Felix" and "Dove" bomb. Japanese bomb used fixed sensor with a blind spot directly ahead, which basically means that the whole bomb turned toward the received infrared radiation source, until it disappeared in the blind spot (or get completely lost - Japanese bomb could not discriminate between "no signal because target is directly forward" and "no signal, because target is lost)". On the contrary, US bombs used independently moved seeker, which compared signal from different parts of the view area; much more advanced design.

Back
Top Bottom