What Happened to Flying Wings?

Interesting snippet about the invisible yaw building up and spoiling the bomb-aimer's accuracy. Some Horten models also suffered from the phenomenon. Dunne's pioneering types never did. I always find it curious how his successors never went back to his theories to find out what they were doing wrong, though some rediscovered a few of his tricks. Northrop had to wait for a computer to do his thinking for him.

Interesting snippet about the invisible yaw building up and spoiling the bomb-aimer's accuracy. Some Horten models also suffered from the phenomenon. Dunne's pioneering types never did. I always find it curious how his successors never went back to his theories to find out what they were doing wrong, though some rediscovered a few of his tricks. Northrop had to wait for a computer to do his thinking for him.
I don’t think I had ever heard that fact before about the Northrop planes until this video.

Go back in history, Northrop solved the "Yaw Hunting" issue on the YB-49 with an early Honeywell stability augmentation system. Prior to implementing, the bombardier would get motion sickness when looking through the Norden bombsight. After installation, the aircraft was a very stable bombing platform. Also, the wings were cut up since Jack Northrop would not merge his company with Consolidated Vultee (General Dynamics) who made the B-36 at the request of Stuart Symington (SecDef at the time and who was in Consolidated's pocket). Additionally, Northrop had already planned to remove the vertical fins from the YB-49 just prior to the cancellation.

Brig Gen Robert Cardenas who recently passed away this year at 102 was forced to write negative flight test reports about the performance and stability of the aircraft. It should also be noted, the XB-35 and YB-49 were the first aircraft to fly with servohydraulic (1200 psig) flight control actuation. The wings did suffer from small capacity bomb bays though but Northrop had a re-design for those too. Another aircraft ahead of it's time, ould have been great to have one of each in the USAF museum.