• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Vought XC-142 Developments

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here's some artwork from the Vought Archives of the C-142 if it had been developed further...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

A display model in the Vought Archives collection that appears to feature most of the looks of the "developed XC-142" artwork posted earlier in topic

Thanks to Fred Harl for the photo.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

There doesn't seem to be a specific XC-142 thread so I'll start one with these drawings of the proposed HC-142 for CSAR duties. Drawings courtesy of the Vought Archives.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Thanks mark
Great find 'again'!

I always wondered how they proposed to incorporate the wing-folding of the XC-142 for carrier operations - what with the interconnectability of all four engines!

Its more compact than I would ever thought possible - although with such vibration and rigidness of the wing required - I can not but help wonder if this fing-fold may have been a potential fatigue problem in operational aircraft!

Thanks again!!

Regards
Pioneer

Abraham Gubler

Reaction score
Pioneer said:
I always wondered how they proposed to incorporate the wing-folding of the XC-142 for carrier operations - what with the interconnectability of all four engines!
This wingfold arrangement was detailed in the Steve Ginter book on the XC-142.

Pioneer said:
Its more compact than I would ever thought possible - although with such vibration and rigidness of the wing required - I can not but help wonder if this fing-fold may have been a potential fatigue problem in operational aircraft!
No different to any other folding wing. It just adds another joint to the gearbox system which isn't so much considering the system that was allready in place. Using the tilt nature of the wing to achieve compactness is a very good solution.

Mark do you have any more details about the ASW version with the heavy duty recoverable sonar buoy?

Just call me Ray

Reaction score
I don't mean to be too off-topic but I'm trying to figure out what ship is supposed to be represented below the Tico and to the left of the Baltimore.

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
"..is supposed to be represented below the Tico and to the left of the Baltimore."

Judging the position of the lifts and the crow's nest at the tail it could be an unmodified
Essex class, I think.

Caravellarella

Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French announcing the development of a joint-venture Vought-Hiller-Ryan V/STOL tilt-wing turboprop transport "project". This later became the Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142A and 5 prototypes were tested from 1964 onwards.

qv http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12666.0.html

The article comes from the 27th October 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. The project was designated as the Vought-Hiller-Ryan VHR-447 (instead of just plain V-447).
When the XC-142A was launched and Vought became the prime contractor, the designation was changed to V-464 (although other references seem to indicate that V-464 would have been the production variant—I would love to have some clarification of this from Vought experts!).

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Hey gents, I've just noted the flight-refueling probe on the drawings Mark has posted!
Makes complete sense!
Again I would like to emphasis my disappointment that this design never reached operational service :mad:

Regards
Pioneer

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

I've been doing some general clean up of my computer room/library and in the process, uncovering some material that got buried by newer material coming in. From a retired Vought employee, here's a 3 view of the "new" fuselage C-142.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Very nice Model,thank you my dear Mark.

Bill S

Top Contributor
Reaction score
In February 1965 LTV applied paper markings to the #1 XC-142
and invited airline executives to come view the potential VTOL
aircraft to serve downtown helipad type operations of the "future".

This might have been the basis for the V-478, not sure.

Photos from the VAHF archives.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Neat!! I'd never seen this before. Thanks a lot for sharing, Bill S.