Vought "Advanced Interceptor" studies (SAMI, ADLI, HSV)

"Advanced Interceptor" but quite possibly not Vought (edit: it's Lockheed) - not sure where else to put them:

View attachment 666632View attachment 666634
Could this study and model talked about in the PDF be related to LRAPIS or Long Range Advanced Piloted Interceptor System?
I hadn't positively identified it, just came across the same model in a picture of a number of models from Lockheed. I don't recall the book I saw it in unfortunately, but I seem to remember I found the book whilst looking for X-24c information.

From the SERJ reports, there appears to be a lot of guttering aft of the nozzle exit which I can't find a description of; does anyone know what this is for?

Attachments

• 1662999553738.png
    1662999553738.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1662999868176.png
    1662999868176.png
    434.3 KB · Views: 158
From the SERJ reports, there appears to be a lot of guttering aft of the nozzle exit which I can't find a description of; does anyone know what this is for?

Now that I look at it closely, I'm almost positive it's how the inner flaps of the nozzle are actuated. I think there is probably a screw jack in the center plug and that right image shows the fully retracted and fully extended portion of the structure and the position of the inner nozzle flaps as a result of it's actuation.

Last edited:
I tried looking for the "Sliding Ring Variable Exit Nozzle" details but couldn't find any. The position of it changes with the outer nozzle flaps in the drawings, but it doesn't obviously seem to be connected to the plug in the centre. Almost seems to be a separate centrebody.

But i'm not really sure how the flowpath in the nozzle is meant to work in the different conidtions. Almost seems like some things are in the wrong place.

That's an odd one. I wonder if it is also some sort of thrust reverser ala Viggen, not that I can see any where the redirected thrust might go.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/20444725.pdf

From this paper it looks like in one mode it is a dual exhaust nozzle; there's a central plug nozzle and a separate circular nozzle surrounding this when the outer nozzle flaps are open. As per Sundog's thoughts I guess there is a central actuator and the guttering holds the outer part of the plug nozzle; probably also on some track attached to the outer wall. There are then separate external actuators that control the outer nozzle flap position.

Why is another question

Attachments

• 1663147574642.png
    1663147574642.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 93
Could this set up be expanded to create “jacketed” thrust?

I was reading Scott’s page on some really energetic chemicals no nozzle could withstand.

What if a cooler exhaust stream surrounded the hotter central stream? Perhaps enough layers, ablatives and autophage builds could allow NSWRs.