VFW-505 double deck airliner ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the VFW-505 was 250-300 passenger double deck airliner,who know more
info about it ?.

Still mystery to this days ?,may be I gOt this info from Flightglobal site.

hesham said:

If it was from FlightGlobal it could still be found in their online archive.

hesham said:

Are you looking for something like this? It was published in an advertisement brochure.

Attachments

• VFW 505.jpg
    VFW 505.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 606
Excellent my dear Boxkite,thank you very much,and from my dear Richard,

here is the VFW-505 "Delphin Concept",from Der Flieger 12/1974.

My dear Stargazer,you are right,it was from a book or file as I think,but not from Flightglobal.

Attachments

• VFW-505.png
    VFW-505.png
    1 MB · Views: 569
Hi,

here is the drawing for accommodation of passengers internal the aircraft,and the travelers
used the rear door for raising to airplane.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 2.png
    2.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 317
Hi Hesham,

here is the drawing for accommodation of passengers internal the aircraft,and the travelers
used the rear door for raising to airplane.

From the looks of it (and the "dolphin" name) , it seems to be based on Professor Heinrich Hertel's ideas of a laminar flow fuselage.

Here some more pictures, including some of a sailplane testbed for the nose shape:

Here's a book authored by Hertel ... the preview includes two pages of content:

I didn't read the book, but I'm intrigued by the image of the boxfish ... the 2005 Mercedes Benz "bionic car" used that supposedly very low-drag shape, too. Now I wonder if there was any connection to Hertel's work!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

FRG Govt 1/66 (then a Coalition, CDU-CSU+FDP) chose to attend France/UK Govt discussions on a Big Twin for BEAC/AF/DLH. Project Studies had been funded 11/65 for response 4/66, at Sud, AMD, Nord, Breguet and at HSAL, BAC. Those led to submission of Sud/BAC Galion and HS/Breguet/Nord HBN100. Exactly then Boeing sold 747 to PanAm, C-5A had been sold to USAF 11/65, and US was exploring Medium-sized civil Wide-Bodies. FRG politicians of all Parties saw this sector as re-entry for civil FRG-Aero. So VFW was funded as a rehearsal, audition, to qualify to join the team to be selected by France+UK. Look upon these sketches as student exercises. They succeeded in bringing new-FRG Aero to a point where they could claim "noble" work, and did so supremely successfully on (to be) A300B. New (1/12/66) Coalition Ministers assigned FRG's workshare, 25%, to a team where VFW was junior, but the audition's competence had been disseminated.

Hi Henning,

I agree with you,and I think he was the designer.