USMC Doctrine Changes

Every time I look at this new concept of scattering the USMC across a swathe of Pacific Islands, I think about the Japanese in WWII, and how well that worked for them. And logistics was a huge part of the problem they faced, with many of their troops ultimately facing starvation, not the enemy.

Every time I look at this new concept of scattering the USMC across a swathe of Pacific Islands, I think about the Japanese in WWII, and how well that worked for them. And logistics was a huge part of the problem they faced, with many of their troops ultimately facing starvation, not the enemy.
Right.

The Allies bypassed most of those islands and let things like PT boats blockade them from getting resupplied. No reason to fight every single island on the way to Japan when you can get away with only invading the important ones.

The US also has a lot more options for resupply than the Imperial Japanese did.

@Scott Kenny Mack was bought outright by Renault Trucks in 1990. In 2001, AB Volvo became majority shareholder in Renault Trucks. In 2012, Renault sold its remaining shares to Volvo.
Mack's dealing with warranty work has probably changed since 40+ years ago. For better or for worse.

Last edited: