USAF/US NAVY 6G Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA, ASFS news

You gotta remember the things going to have 90k lbs of thrust, does it make sense to have > 1:1 TWR at MTOW? The weapons bays and huge fuel tanks add lots of weight.
For certain missions it does. Scramble interceptors, for example.

But no, otherwise there's no great reason to have greater than 1:1 thrust:weight at MTOW. You want to have >1:1TWR at about 50% fuel load for a fighter doing a there-and-back.

Let's see here. The F-22 is the same rough size as the F-15 (length x wingspan), but the internal bays and larger internal fuel tanks add 17klbs of empty weight (1.55x heavier empty). Su-27 is 8000lbs heavier than the F-15 is empty (1.29x heavier), but has the same MTOW with a larger internal fuel capacity (lower total armament load), it's also 7000lbs lighter than the F-22 is empty. Interestingly, the Su-57 is about 4000lbs lighter than the F-22 is empty (greater composite %?).

Applying that excessively simple 1.55x heavier empty multiplier to a Su-27, I'm expecting the USAF bird to be some 56klbs empty (barring using a lot more composites than the F-22 did), with a MTOW in the neighborhood of 100-110klbs.

But the USN bird will not exceed about 85klbs MTOW, as I believe that is about the limit of the catapults. The USN bird will also need to stay lighter, as I believe the arresting gear weight limit is right around 65klbs.

I do not see the USAF and USN sharing much more than engines between the two designs.

Interesting designs for the exhausts for the B-21 TomcatVIP, that is if what the exhausts eventually will look like.

Interesting designs for the exhausts for the B-21 TomcatVIP, that is if what the exhausts eventually will look like.
I wouldn't put much to that detail, it's obviously not an embroidery artifact but it's also an embroidery item. May just be trying to represent some shape via color change.

I’m too lazy to go back through the whole thread nor do I want to reignite the “a demonstrator already flew” debate but does anyone want give informed speculation on when we might see one?

Soon after the B-21 takes flight would put a bit of stress on our adversaries.

I’m too lazy to go back through the whole thread nor do I want to reignite the “a demonstrator already flew” debate but does anyone want give informed speculation on when we might see one?

Soon after the B-21 takes flight would put a bit of stress on our adversaries.
USAF is planning a major award in '24, we'll see something.

USAF is planning a major award in '24, we'll see something.
Unless the various companies have been doing a lot of work on their own dime, the USAF NGAD contest is looking a lot like the F-15 contest: paper studies and maybe a few mockups, then contract award to the winner. No fly-off phase like the ATF or JSF.

Their ATF and JSF concepts were generally not in the bleeding-edge and both resulted in wins, I'm not counting out LM until there's been an award (and appeal). That said, good to hear Boeing is being bold and it would be great if they were to win by shooting for the moon and hitting it.
Exactly My take on it, I think ultimately we cant count either company out, but Lockheed should come out on top but thats my opinion.

Their ATF and JSF concepts were generally not in the bleeding-edge and both resulted in wins, I'm not counting out LM until there's been an award (and appeal). That said, good to hear Boeing is being bold and it would be great if they were to win by shooting for the moon and hitting it.
I'm kinda expecting LockMart to win the USAF NGAD, Boeing the USN FAXX, and Northrop to be eyeballs deep in B21.

Unless the various companies have been doing a lot of work on their own dime, the USAF NGAD contest is looking a lot like the F-15 contest: paper studies and maybe a few mockups, then contract award to the winner. No fly-off phase like the ATF or JSF.

At least one full scale prototype was built. However, hard to imagine only one team building a full scale protoype and the other(s) not. This could be why NG pulled out. Realistically already having the B-21 was putting them on the backfoot, with how these sort of contracts are awarded.

Yeah. The final judgement by the USAF will take into account confidence in the ability of the contractor to deliver. Boeing's had some wins but also a lot of bad press lately.

There is only one problem, new engines of this dimension are not planned ;)

The differences between the land and sea versions of the fighter are in the minimum landing speed. Therefore, the land one is tailless with a 0.2 m2 RCS, and the sea one is a normal aerodynamic scheme with a stabilizer and therefore somewhat more noticeable. This is at least
Isn't that a rather huge RCS by F22 and F35 standards? 0.2m^2 is a square 44.7cm on a side.

F-22 - 0,3 m2
F-35 - 0.4 m2
0.2 m2 is the level of an inconspicuous cruise missile, a very good result for a fighter weighing more than forty tons

Those eagles have BIG eyeballs

This is how the best air defense system in the world works. According to Russian scientists, a RSC below 0.3 m2 is not achievable for fifth-generation fighters, due to technical features

ЭОП - эффективная отражающая поверхность / effective reflective surface (RCS)

Attachments

• 24-3843969-pechora2a.jpg
    24-3843969-pechora2a.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 75
This is how the best air defense system in the world works. According to Russian scientists, a RSC below 0.3 m2 is not achievable for fifth-generation fighters, due to technical features

Wait. Russian scientists have access to Patriot data? Did they include all of the data from the great Kyiv turkey shoot in the beginning of this year?

Must admit I am still very skeptical of the tailless designs for a supersonic fighter aircraft but time will tell if that's the right direction.

Must admit I am still very skeptical of the tailless designs for a supersonic fighter aircraft but time will tell if that's the right direction.
Looking at the good results that came out of the X-36 program, I wonder if the demonstrator that was reportedly flown for NGAD was tasked with transonic and supersonic control validation of the tailless design.

10:05

Much more capable recon aircraft than U2 has been delivered to AF from Skunk Works

tumblr_m5xoycQgm81qd1uwa.jpg

We have reporting claiming that all three original OEM's built and flew demonstrators so the AF did indeed evaluate things along the way.