• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US Navy Surface Effect Ship (SES) Concepts

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant! Even in that size they look great! Any more Bell-related stuff? That's one of my research subjects at the moment...

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Reaction score
Website
www.alternatewars.com
No, I cleaned out the "Artists concepts, surface" folder -- though they did have photographs of the actual prototype SES that the navy operated -- I didn't scan those -- since I was more interested in things that shoot, or carry tanks that shoot.

Howedar

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The 3kton Rohr concept seems to show an E-2-type APS-125/139... very interesting.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Does anyone have anything on the DDSG from the late 1970s?

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
By the way, a few months back Orion found an 1980's design, the SES-CV. Apparently a proposal by Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company to the USN.
EDIT: Both Lockheed-California and NAVAIR seem to have had quite a bit of input into the design.

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Found an old book from the '70s again, Roy McLeavy "Tragflügelboote und Luftkissenfahrzeuge" (Hydrofoils
and Air Cushion Vehicles), whích has illustrations of the SES-100A by Aerojet-General Corporation, of a
2000 ts SES by the Rohr Corporation and a 2000 ts SES by Bell for ASW duties.

Attachments

Bgray

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Given how sensitive SES style concepts are to weight, could a carrier design carry enough fuel and ammunition stores to be effective? After all, teh main advantage of a CVN is the fact that it can apply sustained airpower.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
A GAO staff study on the SES program from 1973: http://archive.gao.gov/f0202/093812.pdf

Sea Skimmer

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Found this image of one of the Transformable Craft projects that was selected for the detail design phase. Two LM-2500 and eight MT-7 gas turbines power it. Could operate as a catamaran, SES or hovercraft depending on the amount of power employed. Used electric drive.

Attachments

Rafael

Reaction score
Thanks for the image, Sea Skimmer. Do you have a source document?

Sea Skimmer

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Too large to be attached, but can be found below. Information on the specific design is limited as the paper is post cancellation and talks mainly about enabling technology and how it might be reused. Still its far more detail then I have ever seen before on any specific T-Craft concept. Shame, I really want specs for the giant giant amtrack design launched from a high speed LST. https://www.navalengineers.org/ProceedingsDocs/FAST2011/A3-1.FAST2011.Moore.pdf

ford_tempo

Reaction score
Clicking on the link below you will find a 1978 study by the Center for Advanced Research of the Naval war College for a SEC or Surface Effect (aircraft) carrier:

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA060083

F_T

ford_tempo

Reaction score
Following on my previous post:

Clicking on the link leads to a page with the abstract of the paper and the link to the paper itself.

The paper is long (about a 100 pages) but it has a nice 10 page summary with also a topside view of the SEC compared to CVNs, a (poor quality) artistic image and a table with summary carachteristics.

Unfortunately when I tried to extract those pages from the original PDF to make them more easily availabe here I received error messages so that I couldn't do that.

best
F_T

aim9xray

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hmmm. There are no Adobe security restrictions on the file, so you should be able to extract pages and so on. Or were you trying to do that via Adobe Acrobat Reader?

I've extracted one page of "art" using full Acrobat - between the high-contrast microfiche and the JPEG artifacts, there isn't much to work with...

Sorry.

Attachments