US Navy’s UCLASS / CBARS / MQ-XX / MQ-25 Stingray Program

One batch of three aircraft every year for three years.
Hrm. Still seems easier to do a multi year contract.

I don't think you can do MYP during LRIP.
If there's some legal restrictions, that explains it. Still doesn't make sense overall, but explains why it's being done that way.

And I think the F-35 has been in multi year buys for a long time now, and just last year left LRIP.

Hrm. Still seems easier to do a multi year contract. If there's some legal restrictions, that explains it. Still doesn't make sense overall, but explains why it's being done that way.

And I think the F-35 has been in multi year buys for a long time now, and just last year left LRIP.
F-35 seems to do a lot of things others are not allowed. But as we are finding out, laws are just ink on paper.

No that it left LRIP last year, or no that it was not being bought in multi year buys?
No, it has not been in multi year buys for a long time now. There was a push by partner nations some time ago to do this and I know the US services would have liked to do so but it never occurred. Has been year-by-year buys for ever...

What the...??

Definitely not Boeing and definitely AI. Looks like its refueling itself, Hydrocarbon Fuel Self-Impregnating Refueling Capability (HFSRC). Within nine refueling operations, spawns and gives birth to miniature CCA type tankers. There are no receivers getting gas, all of the HFSRC's are having too much fun refueling themselves. Another successful, self-gratifying program.

Once painted, fitted with HOTAS and plugged in, looks more shiny (from LM):

Notice that the pointy corners around the forearm position are probably accessory. Would do great to round them away.

Once painted, fitted with HOTAS and plugged in, looks more shiny (from LM):

Notice that the pointy corners around the forearm position are probably accessory. Would do great to round them away.
The screen on the lower right looks very similar to Microsoft Outlook on my Windows desktop. Is the MQ-25 operator supposed to read his e-mail while flying the drone ;) ?

Are these for ground /ship movement or full flights?

Surely having these at a secure ground location makes more sense? less sailors on board, less space taken up etc???

The MQ-25 will usually be flying in conjunction with a carrier strike package or CAP. Surely it makes sense for the operators to be sitting in the same briefing room with the crews of the aircraft they will be supporting.

Are these for ground /ship movement or full flights?

Surely having these at a secure ground location makes more sense? less sailors on board, less space taken up etc???
The MQ-25 will usually be flying in conjunction with a carrier strike package or CAP. Surely it makes sense for the operators to be sitting in the same briefing room with the crews of the aircraft they will be supporting.
Bandwidth and latency issues as well, I suspect.

Interesting

"...The Stingray also eschews a remote pilot, using advanced flight control algorithms and planning software to execute missions and return to the carrier autonomously..."
Ok, so it actually doesn't "eschew a remote pilot" like stated in the article referenced above. So much talk about AI and CAA, but even a "simple" tanker UAS is reliant on a remote pilot. Welcome to reality!

Teams is great
Not if you're trying to concentrate on flying a drone. And "great" isn't something I would call Teams. The latest update broke the Contacts/Chat drop down so they could add an icon nobody uses.

In order to refuel, they have to schedule Teams meetings. For on-loads, first requires an email for how much fuel, verify message is not spam or a phishing threat then proceed. Ironic, the USN worrying about a phishing threat as sea....

Ok, so it actually doesn't "eschew a remote pilot" like stated in the article referenced above. So much talk about AI and CAA, but even a "simple" tanker UAS is reliant on a remote pilot. Welcome to reality!
It has the ability to operate with a higher degree of autonomy than previous generation drones, but people talked themselves into that meaning it was "press button and drone will do the whole mission."

In order to refuel, they have to schedule Teams meetings. For on-loads, first requires an email for how much fuel, verify message is not spam or a phishing threat then proceed. Ironic, the USN worrying about a phishing threat as sea....
"Here, let me share my screen. . .", says a marine on the ground.

Defense Updates has put out a video concerning the MQ-25:

The war in Ukraine has shown that drones are crucial in a modern battlefield and is clear that they will play an even more important role in future.The US military has achieved a significant milestone in this regard.
The USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), a U.S. supercarrier, has become the first aircraft carrier in the world to establish a dedicated Unmanned Air Warfare Center (UAWC), setting the stage for the deployment of the cutting-edge MQ-25 Stingray drone.
In a press release dated August 15, the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) announced that the U.S. Navy recently installed the world’s first Unmanned Air Warfare Center (UAWC) aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.
This new center will enable Air Vehicle Pilots (AVPs) to control future airborne operations of the MQ-25 Stingray.
In this video, Defense Updates analyzes how the UAW Center in USS George H.W. Bush paves the way for the MQ-25 Stingray ?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
02:06 NAVAIR STATEMENT
03:37 THE INTEGRATION
04:52 MQ-25 STINGRAY
7:33 ANALYSIS

Company officials say they have been working with the Air Force on the design, which expands the 75-ft. wingspan of the Navy’s Stingray design to 92 ft. The land-based variant would also no longer require the wings to be folded like the carrier-based version, a change that combined with the increased span would provide 40% more space for fuel in the wings.

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25