US Aerospace/Antonov An-112KC

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Slides from US Aerospace/Antonov An-112KC KC-X slide presentation.

NOTE: The presentation was 16 pages total. I did not take screen shots of the two title cards at the beginning of the presentation, but you can put the presentation back in sequence by file name.

Attachments

• An112KC-3.JPG
    An112KC-3.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 220
  • An112KC-9.JPG
    An112KC-9.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 233
  • An112KC-11.JPG
    An112KC-11.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 206
  • An112KC-14.JPG
    An112KC-14.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 207
  • An112KC-15.JPG
    An112KC-15.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 199
Slides from US Aerospace/Antonov An-112KC slide presentation.

Attachments

• An112KC-10.JPG
    An112KC-10.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 86
  • An112KC-8.JPG
    An112KC-8.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 110
  • An112KC-7.JPG
    An112KC-7.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 56
  • An112KC-6.JPG
    An112KC-6.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 53
  • AnKC112-5.JPG
    AnKC112-5.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 54
  • An112KC-4.JPG
    An112KC-4.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 54
Slides from US Aerospace/Antonov An-112KC slide presentation.

Attachments

• An112KC-12.JPG
    An112KC-12.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 64
  • An112KC-13.JPG
    An112KC-13.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 62
  • An112KC-16.JPG
    An112KC-16.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 65
TinWing said:
It's a very obvious development of the An-70, one that makes sense given the developmental difficulties with the original propfan engines. Does anyone have the original brochure, as there appears to be a dead link on the StrategyPage forum?

It appears that the links are dead on Stephen Trimble's Dew Line blog concerning the US Aerospace/Antonov An-112KC presentation.

Yep. DEW Line pulled the whole blog entry about the briefing without comment. Several people have asked, but no explanation of the deletion has been given, AFAIK, I find that a little vexing -- journalists out not to "disappear" news items without a compelling reason.

TomS said:
Yep. DEW Line pulled the whole blog entry about the briefing without comment. Several people have asked, but no explanation of the deletion has been given, AFAIK, I find that a little vexing -- journalists out not to "disappear" news items without a compelling reason.

...Considering that even professional blog servers experience burps as well as link breaks due to site migrations between old and new servers, in this case I wouldn't suspect foul play and/or censorship issues right off the bat. Granted, with the "Wikileaks" nonsense putting the entire military information exchange infrastructure in a tizzy, it's easy to suspect that some sort of censorship occurred. Anyone thought about contacting Stephen about the disposition of the data?

On my server the link works regularly, perhaps a bit slow...
In my opinion there are very few chances of interest on the project for the USAF but the An-112KC proposal could be very interesting for V-VS and Western European Air Forces troubled by the clumsy and costly A-400M...
Nico S.

original powerpoint presentation
http://www.mediafire.com/?wat4lqgd8ka6du5

It's not clear to anybody outside of this company what they are doing bidding on a contract that they have zero chance of winning. It's more than just a joke, it's bizarre. I doubt that the company even knew what size paper to use in their bid, let alone understood anything about US Department of Defense contracting regulations.

But the whole tanker competition has been a comedy that turned into a tragedy that morphed into a farce. Or maybe the other way around. They'll write books about this some day, with titles like "Is everybody here nuts?"

OM said:
TomS said:

...Considering that even professional blog servers experience burps as well as link breaks due to site migrations between old and new servers, in this case I wouldn't suspect foul play and/or censorship issues right off the bat. Granted, with the "Wikileaks" nonsense putting the entire military information exchange infrastructure in a tizzy, it's easy to suspect that some sort of censorship occurred. Anyone thought about contacting Stephen about the disposition of the data?

People have asked on the DEW Line blog. No reply, though we know Trimble has replied to other comments on the blog.

And it seems very improbable that this was an accident. Not only did the post disappear and stay missing from the Flight International website, but the briefing was made private on Trimble's Slideshare account where it had been hosted. Fortunately some other folks had already grabbed copies, which is why it is still available from other accounts and services.

US Aerospace and Antonov signed a Strategic Cooperation Agreement on July 1, 2010. In a letter written by Jerrold S. Pressman, Chairman of US Aerospace, he states that the company intends to bid on other military contracts. The company has announced that it intends to bid to supply maritime surveillance and military transport aircraft to New Zealand. I presume that US Aerospace intends to supply Antonov-developed aircraft and the An-112KC may be the first of many Antonov aircraft designs marketed to western governments.

TomS said:
People have asked on the DEW Line blog. No reply, though we know Trimble has replied to other comments on the blog.

And it seems very improbable that this was an accident. Not only did the post disappear and stay missing from the Flight International website, but the briefing was made private on Trimble's Slideshare account where it had been hosted. Fortunately some other folks had already grabbed copies, which is why it is still available from other accounts and services.

Lawyers? Threat of litigation?

In a rare but welcome bit of sanity in this story, the GAO has denied all of US Aerospace's protest regarding its bid.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/403464.htm

Does anyone know what the said price of the An-112KC (or just the straight transport An-112) is?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Does anyone know what the said price of the An-112KC (or just the straight transport An-112) is?

USAE claimed a program price of $29.6 billion over 179 airframes, which is about $165 million per aircraft. That's total program, of course, not unburdened unit price. Pricing for the baseline An-70 is around $60-70 million per airframe. I'd guess two GE90s would cost more than four D-27s. Adding refueling kit would certainly raise the price even further.

Yesterday, US Aerospace announced it would not pursue its bid for KC-X any further. Wise move, because they'd till lose and only the lawyers would get rich. It's kind of appropriate that in their press release saying they weren't going forward, they have an artist's concept of a tanker that wasn't the design they said they were bidding.

As far as their future goes, they're signing agreements now with the Chinese and talking about their future plans to interst investors. As the press release states, their statements "... reflect numerous assumptions and involve a variety of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the Company's control, that may cause actual results to differ materially from stated expectations. ...Except as required by law, the Company undertakes no obligation to update any information" .

A Strategic Cooperation Agreement with AVIC seems inline with US Aerospace's goal of being the least expensive US military contractor. I wonder if they are going to continue to propose Antonov aircraft designs manufactured with cheaper Chinese-made AVIC parts? Or perhaps the entire aircraft will be assembled in China by AVIC? US Aerospace seems to be all about maximizing tax payer value. I guess the question is could the US Department of Defense actually buy Chinese or Ukrainian made aircraft or whether a US subcontractor could be considered a credible supplier.

Triton said:
A Strategic Cooperation Agreement with AVIC seems inline with US Aerospace's goal of being the least expensive US military contractor. I wonder if they are going to continue to propose Antonov aircraft designs manufactured with cheaper Chinese-made AVIC parts? Or perhaps the entire aircraft will be assembled in China by AVIC? US Aerospace seems to be all about maximizing tax payer value. I guess the question is could the US Department of Defense actually buy Chinese or Ukrainian made aircraft or whether a US subcontractor could be considered a credible supplier.

I'm all for maximizing taxpayer value. The thing is, what do they actually do, and what have they done so far? Not withstanding its inaccuracies in certain fields, doesn't it seem odd that a company supposedly so heavily involved in the Defense industry doesn't even have an entry in Wikipedia? Reviewing the information about them on their web page and elsewhere, what exactly are the large scale things they've done? Are they just a marketing company, a financial holdings firm or are they actually going to be involved in manufacturing here or abroad. OK, the sole shareholder of PAI in Oct 2009 agreed to transfer all shares. but what is it US Aerospace makes? They say PAI has three main customers, one of whom is GE (the others are unidentified), but what do they make for GE? Looking at their webstie, there are some nice aircraft skeleton and exploded views, but nothing to indicate what, if anything, they have to do with what the company does. Review my comment on their tanker illustration. There's not a lot of "meat" out there about them.

During the KC-X run-up, just months before the deadline, they weren't able to say exactly what it was they were planning to bid. They said that a contract for the engines was "imminent", but no engine manufacturer as far as I know ever said, "Yeah, we're going to supply engines for them". While I appreciate that in their comments on their protest being denied on all counts they magnanimously said that it was an honor just to be nominated, even if they hadn't screwed up their bid, it'd be hard to take them seriously given their performance to that point. For example, in their design, what would happen if they lost an engine at low speed? I don't see that the rudder/vertical stabilizer had been redesigned to compensate for the loss of 50% power rather than the 25% of the original design. It didn't give anyone a high degree of confidence when they said that their bid might be found to be non-compliant or might not meet all the requirements. This is not the way the way you build support.

Maybe they are legit regarding the things they say they're going to do (if we could figure out what they are) and aren't just looking for things to bid and protest (there are smaller companies that do just that). I'm not in a position to say. It might be nice to have someone shake up the Defense establishment, but first you've got to shake up the US Congress. Forget the Chinese or Ukrainian connection, if there actually is a firm one. A lot more specifics need to be known about them if they wish to be considered a credible supplier to begin with.

From what I have read, the company was originally known as New Century Companies Inc. based in Sante Fe Springs, CA in the business of manufacturing, remanufacturing and retrofitting machine tools, primarily vertical boring mills and large lathes. On Nov 3, 2009, the company agreed to acquire Precision Aerostructures, an aerospace subcontractor with $27 million in orders. It appears that Precision Aerostructures was a privately held company.

On April 26, 2010, New Century Companies Inc. changed its name to US Aerospace.

On September 15, 2010, the company divested its unprofitable machine tools unit.

There were reports that US Aerospace was originally going to team up with Ilyushin for the KC-X contract, but the deal fell through for undisclosed reasons. There was also talk that the company might become Ilyushin America.

I don't understand why Ilyushin, Antonov, or AVIC would deal with such a small company if they were seriously interested in entering the US aviation market.

I guess it could be a legitimate company with large aspirations. It almost seems as though US Aerospace is the US agent for Antonov or AVIC and that most of the engineering and manufacturing work would be done overseas, but that is a guess on my part.

Perhaps they were hoping that their bid would be so much cheaper than those submitted by Boeing or EADS, that the US Air Force would overlook their non-compliance or inability to meet all the requirement or perhaps the company had a stronger bid with Ilyushin and that deal fell through and they had to scramble to find another overseas manufacturer?

Sources:
http://www.newcenturyinc.com/
http://www.precisionaerostructures.com/
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/press-release/ncnc_ncnc_new-century-companies-inc-changes-name-to-u-s-aerospace-inc-936933.html
http://www.usaerospace.com/us-aerospace-inc-divests-unprofitable-non-aerospace-business-unit

Did Max Bialystock have anything to do with this company ;D

But seriously, companies with snappy websites and big ideas seem to come and go, leaving venture capitalists with somewhat lighter portfolios.