Unknown twin engine light aircraft design from 1946 - possibly Grumman

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this article on Aviation Week 1946,I don't know if it was related to Grumman
or not ?.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19460901/28/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 402
  • 2.png
    2.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 391
This was the Starflight designed and built by Col Farley Vincent. Attached is a two part description from Home Pylon News July 1989 and October 1989. In the early 1990s this aircraft was on display in the Wedell-Williams Memorial Aviation Museum in Patterson, Louisiana.

Attachments

• Vincent Starflight 1.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 1.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 315
  • Vincent Starflight 2.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 2.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Vincent Starflight 3.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 3.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Vincent Starflight 4.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 4.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Vincent Starflight 5.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 5.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Vincent Starflight 6.jpg
    Vincent Starflight 6.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 33
Having been alerted to this aircraft by a vague memory of seeing it in 1990 and of which the details were hidden somewhere deep in my library, I did some more searching on the internet.
In Aerofiles the aircraft has been identified as the Monsted-Vincent MV-1. It was registered as NX77770.
According to http://www.shu-aero.com/AeroPhotos_Shu_Aero/Aircraft_M/Monsted-Vincent/index.html the aircraft was damaged by Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the remains were put in a storage hangar. In 2005 Hurricane Rita destroyed the hangar and what was left over of the aircraft. That website also got a large number of photos.

PS Perhaps we can change the subject heading so that this can be easily found back.

Hi Jos :)
I beg to differ and think that the MV-1 was an independent design. Apart from being 4-engined the MV-1 is also dimensionally larger than the Grumman design, which apparently stemmed from the desk of David Thurston, who designed several other Grumman aircraft.
The MV-1 was, as I understand, designed by Mr. Art Turner.
Regards, Walter

Not the same design at all. Similar shape but wrong engines (type and number) and smaller than the Vincent design.

Thurston was working on personal aircraft designs at Grumman in 1946 so it might be one of his designs. The article is actually about the method of performance estimation and doesn't give any proof the design chosen is a Grumman one.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Not the same design at all. Similar shape but wrong engines (type and number) and smaller than the Vincent design.

Thurston was working on personal aircraft designs at Grumman in 1946 so it might be one of his designs. The article is actually about the method of performance estimation and doesn't give any proof the design chosen is a Grumman one.

I agree with you my dear Paul.

Back
Top Bottom