United Launch Alliance introduces Vulcan next generation launcher

This appears to be an issue for Astrobotic and NASA rather than ULA. It’s claimed that doing this violates a number of executive orders. I don’t mind ashes going into orbit or space but dumping human remains on other planetary bodies when it’s not a result of actual long term human habitation does seem a bit more like littering.

Nasa and private space companies failed to consult with tribal nations over plans to bring human remains to the moon as part of a January lunar launch mission, according to the Navajo Nation.

In a letter to Nasa, Navajo Nation president Buu Nygren asked officials to delay the planned 8 January launch of private space company Astrobotic’s Peregrine lunar lander, which is set to carry payloads from Celestis and Elysium Space, which conduct burials in space.

In 1998, Nasa deposited the remains planetary scientist Eugene Shoemaker on the moon, prompting criticism from the tribe.

In the letter from President Nygren, he said continued plans to bring human remains to the moon violate multiple executive orders on tribal consultation, including one signed by the Biden administration.

I thought Chief Seattle disputed anyone owning property...at any rate, the Fithp called and want reparations for all those Clovis points that made their mammoth brethren extinct... payable in peanuts.

Once mastodons have been cloned--they will expect the Navajo to go back to Asia. That is all...

I thought Chief Seattle disputed anyone owning property...at any rate, the Fithp called and want reparations for all those Clovis points that made their mammoth brethren extinct... payable in peanuts.

Once mastodons have been cloned--they will expect the Navajo to go back to Asia. That is all...
Might makes right then?

If we have long term habitation of the Moon you’ll eventually have someone die up there and whether valuable resources are always going to be expended taking the body back to Earth, they’ll end up buried up there, unless someone decides to setup a crematorium which I cannot see happening any time soon. It’s actually quite a vexed issue once you start thinking about it.

If we have long term habitation of the Moon you’ll eventually have someone die up there and whether valuable resources are always going to be expended taking the body back to Earth, they’ll end up buried up there, unless someone decides to setup a crematorium which I cannot see happening any time soon. It’s actually quite a vexed issue once you start thinking about it.
Really??? If I were in that rather unfortunate but ultimately inevitable situation, I'd be absolutely, completely comfortable with being either chemically decomposed and recycled, burned and spread, situated in an LDEF like lunar body farm, buried in a shallow ditch, or completely unceremoniously ditched in some open crater lunar cemetery landfill, because I'm dead, remember? But I realize that there may be some people who adhere to various kinds of religious beliefs and associated sensibilities that may insist on some more formal type of post-mortem rituals.

Last edited:
Might makes right then?
One individual knocking many out of freedom of movement is even worse.

I remember a woman wanted a ride shut down because her son---far too large for it--fell off. He never should have been allowed on it. Now the ride is no more. There is always that one that wants to ruin everything like they're king of the world.

Now my guess is that this Navaho was put up to do this by the same outsiders who want to shut some Native American coal mines, keep their brethren from hunting...etc.

Take a look at navenergy.com

Frankly, they should help fund space solar power so that Native Americans can be the People of the Sun once again.

Last edited:
We reject the whole premise that this is somehow desecration. We handle these capsules reverently. We do not scatter them on the lunar surface. We object to the entire characterization of our service... It’s the antithesis of desecration. It’s celebration.

IMO the Navaho have no say in this as they have never been on the Moon for very obvious reasons.

Time for some countersuits against their coal mines if they don't drop this nonsense.

One individual knocking many out of freedom of movement is even worse.

I remember a woman wanted a ride shut down because her son---far too large for it--fell off. He never should have been allowed on it. Now the ride is no more. There is always that one that wants to ruin everything like they're king of the world.

Now my guess is that this Navaho was put up to do this by the same outsiders who want to shut some Native American coal mines, keep their brethren from hunting...etc.

Take a look at navenergy.com

Frankly, they should help fund space solar power so that Native Americans can be the People of the Sun once again.
To me this sounds like legal grievances to be sorted out by US courts, perhaps all the way to The Partisan Supremes. As a German and European citizen, proud SoCal Pacific Rim dweller, and tax paying but not allowed to vote (oh the irony! Remember that quaint bogus slogan "No Taxation Without Representation"?) US Resident Alien (a title I wear with pride, even though I'm certainly no Alan Wray Tudyk), I will firmly refrain from taking any position on this topic one way or another. But, to quote my boss, I'm most definitely not bitter, no siree...

Last edited:
Built by US space company Astrobiotic, the Peregrine Mission One (PM1) is set to become the first private probe to land on the lunar surface.

Onboard will be an instrument known as the Peregrine Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer (PITMS), which was developed in the UK by scientists from The Open University
(OU) and the Science Technology Facilities Council (STFC) RAL Space - the UK's
national space lab.

The device will analyse the thin lunar atmosphere as well as find out more about how water might be moving around the moon.

View: https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1744272208241852775

LIFTOFF!

The first remote camera photo of a United Launch Alliance #VulcanRocket heading to space at 2:18 a.m. EST (0718 UTC)!

credit: United Launch Alliance
View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1744272432171540735

Astrobotic says it has established contact with Peregrine after separation. (A lot of cheering from the NASA and Astrobotic staff at the press site when that announcement came through.)

Nice art!

I watched the launch on Everyday Astronaut…he was a bit loopy :)

No burn to depletion for the third burn?
Here’s your answer.

View: https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1744277166936764490

The third Centaur V main engine burn is confirmed, completing the powered phase of the #VulcanRocket's #Cert1 flight test. Centaur performed this Earth-escape burn to plot a trajectory to interplanetary space for the @celestisflights memorial payload.

what lift off
GDU3TBsW4AQw8CH

Sad to see that after the successful launch without blowing up on the pad especially since it was a new rocket. It will be a pity if they cannot get the problem sorted. :(

Looks like there could be problems with the thrusters at least that is what I am thinking right now, especially if the lander cannnot orientate itself towards the Sun for power.

Looks like there could be problems with the thrusters at least that is what I am thinking right now, especially if the lander cannnot orientate itself towards the Sun for power.
if that case, without thruster, Peregrine can't land on Moon...

Which would mean a loss of the lander and the experiments. If the lander cannot land then it will crash on to the surface and be destroyed or potentially end up orbiting the Moon forever out of contact with Mission Control.

View: https://twitter.com/astrobotic/status/1744412283743199585

Update #3 for Peregrine Mission One:

We have successfully re-established communications with Peregrine after the known communication blackout. The team's improvised maneuver was successful in reorienting Peregrine's solar array towards the Sun. We are now charging the battery. The Mission Anomaly Board continues to evaluate the data we're receiving and is assessing the status of what we believe to be the root of the anomaly: a failure within the propulsion system.
We are grateful for the outpouring of support we're receiving - from messages on social media to phone calls and helping hands. This is what makes the space industry so special, that we unite in the face of adversity. A heartfelt thank you from the entire Peregrine Mission One team.
View: https://twitter.com/astrobotic/status/1744419692813443333

Lunar landing is all but certain to be off the table with propellant leak confirmed.

Energiya got slimed by Polyus' failure...I hope that isn't the case here.

True, I have read where nearly empty rockets might impart damage to smaller payloads...yet didn't Atlas have thrust limiters? Wouldn't Vulcan as a matter of course?