Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Considering how active the UAE is getting in space I thought I would start a thread for them. Here’s another interplanetary project moving forward.

The UAE’s ambitious mission to explore the asteroid belt and perform a Venusfly-by is making progress, with the design of the spacecraft and science goals now set.

Ibrahim Al Qasim, deputy director-general of the UAE Space Agency, on Tuesday said that it has passed the mission concept review, though a name for the mission has yet to be finalised. These details will be announced to the public “soon".

Last year, the UAE announced its next space endeavour, only months after its Hope spacecraft reached the orbit around Mars in a historic feat.

The country hopes to explore seven space rocks in the main asteroid belt and attempt a landing on the last one. The spacecraft would slingshot around Venus and then Earth using the planets’ gravity to reach the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Considering how active the UAE is getting in space I thought I would start a thread for them. Here’s another interplanetary project moving forward.

The UAE’s ambitious mission to explore the asteroid belt and perform a Venusfly-by is making progress, with the design of the spacecraft and science goals now set.

Ibrahim Al Qasim, deputy director-general of the UAE Space Agency, on Tuesday said that it has passed the mission concept review, though a name for the mission has yet to be finalised. These details will be announced to the public “soon".

Last year, the UAE announced its next space endeavour, only months after its Hope spacecraft reached the orbit around Mars in a historic feat.

The country hopes to explore seven space rocks in the main asteroid belt and attempt a landing on the last one. The spacecraft would slingshot around Venus and then Earth using the planets’ gravity to reach the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Looks like the UAE are getting really active in space exploration, the asteroid belt mission looks to be highly interesting and certainly one to keep a close eye on in the future.

Wonder if they will go for a a SLV, they already started developing a sounding rocket so that would be the stepping stone. A solid fueled SLV could take their smaller projects into orbit and be used for export although the market is quite crowded.

1651764532863.jpeg

1651764509338.jpeg

Also, they are working on Mars rover wheels as well which suggests they are trying to develop their own subsystems.

To add more about this, they have also siphoned South Africans with connections to the production of the Jericho-2/Shavit/RSA-3 launch vehicle/IRBM.

They have set up rocket production facilities already in Abu Dhahi already as of my knowledge although I’m not sure how big of a diameter motor they can make.

The rover wheel I talked about in the last post.

1651768886264.jpeg

That Text on Abition 1 rocket is contradictory
it label the rocket als Orbital launch vehicle, then as sounding rocket
and with 1100kg launch weight you get only suborbital of 160 km with 100kg
This rocket need bigger third stage for orbit...

Bad translation most likely, and a third stage wouldn't be able to put it into orbit either.

It would have to be scaled many times over to be able to reach orbit.

Its a sounding rocket broadly similar to many other sounding rockets.

Note the careful wording - Ambition 1 is "designed to carry payloads to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) *altitude*" (my emphasis). To me this is intended to mean that the apogee is at LEO altitude, but not orbital velocity.

Last edited:
Note the careful wording - Ambition 1 is "designed to carry payloads to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) *altitude* (my emphasis). To me this is intended to mean that the apogee is at LEO altitude, but not orbital velocity.
It could never reach orbit considering its size. But as I said it could be a stepping stone.

UAE to be first Arab state to send astronaut on long-term space mission​

The United Arab Emirates will send an astronaut to the International Space Station for a 6-month-long mission in 2023, becoming the first Arab country to send an astronaut on a long-term space mission, the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Center (MBRSC) announced on Friday.

View: https://twitter.com/hsajwanization/status/1597482539387846656

Picture of UAE's Rashid Rover, being carried to the lunar surface by ispace's HAKUTO-R Mission 1 lander

View: https://twitter.com/hsajwanization/status/1597483057095008256

The four-wheel rover, weighing only 10 kilograms, has been built by engineers from the Dubai’s Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre.
A core team of 11 are behind the mission’s development and have been working on it since 2017. @SarwatNasir

View: https://twitter.com/hsajwanization/status/1597482539387846656

Picture of UAE's Rashid Rover, being carried to the lunar surface by ispace's HAKUTO-R Mission 1 lander

View: https://twitter.com/hsajwanization/status/1597483057095008256

The four-wheel rover, weighing only 10 kilograms, has been built by engineers from the Dubai’s Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre.
A core team of 11 are behind the mission’s development and have been working on it since 2017. @SarwatNasir

I did not think that the lander was going to be that small Flyaway, only 10 kilograms in weight? It’s smaller than even NASAs 1997 Mars Pathfinder rover.

View: https://twitter.com/mbrspacecentre/status/1601906184516239360

Amer AlSayegh AlGhaferi, Senior Director, Space Engineering Department, MBRSC, addressing the media after the successful launch of the first Emirati mission to the surface of the Moon.

View: https://twitter.com/mbrspacecentre/status/1601906223850438657

Al-Ghaferi: In two days, we will receive the first signal from the Rashid Rover.

#EmiratesLunarMission
#UAEtotheMoon

hm, theoretically the engine below could be used in air-to-air missiles as well if enlarged. Maybe that is what they were alluding to when they talked about "guided missiles". It could use low thrust in cruise phase and when going terminal it could push that thrust all the way up.

halcon-al-bayraq-3_0.webp

DIAMETER 122mm
LENGTH 2 m
AVERAGE THRUST 850 N
FUEL Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
An ongoing development of a hybrid rocket engine that combines the best features of the solid and liquid rocket systems. It is designed to produce a propulsion system that is simpler, safer, controllable and cost effective with the use of 3D printed ABS as a fuel. The engine has the potential to be used for future missions required for guided missiles and sounding rockets.

Last edited:
hm, theoretically the engine below could be used in air-to-air missiles as well if enlarged. Maybe that is what they were alluding to when they talked about "guided missiles". It could use low thrust in cruise phase and when going terminal it could push that thrust all the way up.

DIAMETER 122mm
LENGTH 2 m
AVERAGE THRUST 850 N
An ongoing development of a hybrid rocket engine that combines the best features of the solid and liquid rocket systems. It is designed to produce a propulsion system that is simpler, safer, controllable and cost effective with the use of 3D printed ABS as a fuel. The engine has the potential to be used for future missions required for guided missiles and sounding rockets.
Link please.

DIAMETER 122mm
LENGTH 2 m
AVERAGE THRUST 850 N
Link please.
There is not much info on it.