Two-fuselage MiG-15 figther-bomber project (Bulgaria)

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Hi!

Found this sketch in Polish magazine Lotnictwo 4-2010.
There was an article on Bulgarian pilot and designer Dymitr Atanasow.
This is one of the preliminary sketches in order to design fighter-bomber MiG-15 version.
Interesting idea :cool:

Attachments

• Pages from Lotnictwo_2010-04.jpg
    Pages from Lotnictwo_2010-04.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 818
Silencer1 said:
Hi!

Found this sketch in Polish magazine Lotnictwo 4-2010.

Issue 4-2010? Could it be an April Fool's joke? Any confirmations from other side?

I have this magazine - the idea was quite reasonable, at least based on text. In late 50s Bulgarian AF had a number of MiG-15s with some 30% flying hours used, but no longer considered to be 1st line fighters because of technology progress. So they decided to convert them into fighter-bombers with 1500 kg bombload and maintained performance, esp. range and take-off/landing. Achieving this appeared to be impossible with 'normal' MiG-15, so Atanasow designed 'double' one. Calculated performance figures were even better than required by AF, so some armour could be installed.
Eventually training-fighters appeared more urgent need, and MiG-15s were converted into 2-seaters.

Rgds, K.

Performances for this twin-fuselage aircraft were probably far above the MiG15's: triple thrust, less than double weight and less than double drag. Good design (I would enjoy it as much if it were an April foos' day joke). ;D

An airplane with two or twin fuselages was indeed rather an unusual arrangement. If I am not mistaken only the He-111Z and the F-82 Twin Mustang, both propeller-driven aircraft, saw service in significant numbers. This cannot be however an argument for the info on the Bulgarian twin-MiG-15 was an April Fools' Day joke (there is a custom in the Polish media that when a magazine publishes a 1st April's joke it will in the next issue give an explanation of the fact; the following issues of the "Lotnictwo" magazine contain no such a statement).

Interestingly a similar design was being projected in France in the early 1950s. It was the "Twin Ouragan", a version of the famous fighter with two fuselages, which was to be a flying test-bed for the SNECNA Vulcain jet engine mounted under the wing between the fuselages. The aircraft's wing-span was to be 21.8 m. Naturally it never went beyond the drawing board.

Best regards,
Piotr

What is that obstacle (pod, bomb or engine) on the mid wing between the 2 fuselages?

I still don't trust this would-be Bulgarian MiG zwilling. April fool articles used to happen every year in magazines like Le Fanatique de l'Aviation (now Le Fana) at a time when they still had a sense of humour (Klagenfurt Kf 255, North American Exo-7...) But I believe there still must be magazines willing to do it elsewhere... What we need here is someone 1°) who reads Bulgarian fluently and 2°) has the May issue to check if the article was an elaborate hoax or not.

Stargazer2006 said:
I still don't trust this would-be Bulgarian MiG zwilling. April fool articles used to happen every year in magazines like Le Fanatique de l'Aviation (now Le Fana) at a time when they still had a sense of humour (Klagenfurt Kf 255, North American Exo-7...) But I believe there still must be magazines willing to do it elsewhere... What we need here is someone 1°) who reads Bulgarian fluently and 2°) has the May issue to check if the article was an elaborate hoax or not.

Kf-255 is a hoax??? You meen that canard interceptor thing , rocket powered , and the pilot prone ? Jesus, i lived half my bloody life not knowing that ... :eek:

lancer21 said:
Stargazer2006 said:

Kf-255 is a hoax??? You meen that canard interceptor thing , rocket powered , and the pilot prone ? Jesus, i lived half my bloody life not knowing that ... :eek:

Absolutely. Klagenfurt Kf 255 was indeed a hoax, and you can find evidence of this here (#43 page 2):
http://dominique.mahieu.pagesperso-orange.fr/index/fana/ig.pdf

Also listed there were the Kawa Sori (#89 page 42), Suzuki 18 Shi MXS 12 (#113 page 20), floatplane T-6 "Exo-Seven" (#125 page 58) and the Monaco Airways Lysander (#173 page 40).

Пълен майтап Bulgarian MiG-15 zwiling a very nice Hoax ;D but any way i will make a research and will report as soon as possible

I thought of it at the moment I saw that it was April's issue of Lotnictwo

The article contains a number of photos, demonstrating other Atanasov' activities - mainly regarding to minor modification of MiG-15 and MiG-17 in order to increse carrying capcity of bombs and other combat loads, as well as re-engining of small piston aircraft. Twin-MiG-15 is a sole of the illustration, which could be treated as improbable. Anyway - I could send a scan of article to anyone, who want and new Polish well :cool:

I just check Lotnictvo No. 5 - and there is no sign of of any editorial comments on Atanasov' article.

P.S. I think, that attempt to combine two subsonic aircraft' fuselage with a means of straight wing and orizontal stabilizer couln't lead to any success - and with the the abilities of Bulgarian aeronautical industry of the moment.

the illustration of the 15UTI is interesting Dimitar Iv. Atanasov is the father of that conversion
at the point of 70's there were still Bulgarian aviation industry ( Dar Bojurishte for instance ) and it was able to made that kind of conversion i have the feeling that this will not be hoax after all

Ps. Silencer i'm interested in the article it wold be great if you can send me it thanks

sorry to disappoint all here the project is legit and 100% real the original article is from Krile magazine issue 1 from January 2009

Perhaps you could post at least some parts of the article to be checked by other native
speakers ? I real, we'll of course remove it from the list.

just got the confirmation from Airgroup2000 it is indeed a copy of this article from Krile the problem is that i dont own a copy of this issue atm so it will take time till i can get a scan from one and find larger drawing

Hi Piko1,

I hope to know the fact of this aircraft quickly.

Have just tried to use a translator after OCR processing, but the result was ..... :-\
But I think, it's the confirmation, that it was a "real" project. Perhaps we can get
a translation, or bettre, of course a scan of a source, then we can move it from
the "fake list" .