Trying to trace a novel set in WW2 featuring a secret German Manned Flight to Moon...?

Raberto

Patiently awaiting RQ-180 revelations...
Reaction score
I'm trying to trace a novel set before and during WW2 which featured Werner von Braun as a participant, and ends up with the fatal crash on the moon of a manned V2-derived spacecraft?

I read it having picked up a copy in a hostel in Australia back in 1997 (subsequently swapped it for another paperback titled 'No Parachute' at another) and can't for the life of me remember the title or indeed anything else about the story =P

Can anyone shed any light on this distant memory/misappropriated dream?!

Last edited:
Definitely wasn't Moonglow because that wasn't published until 2016...

, and ends up with the fatal crash on the moon of a manned V2-derived spacecraft?
In fact what happens is that the mission is intended to be launched in two parts - a manned rocket to get the glory and an unmanned supply ship to give him the oxygen and propellant necessary to return home. The manned ship gets off safely but the Allies destroy the supply rocket, and in the confusion of the attack and overrun of the launch site, the N@zi astronaut is never heard from again.

That is, until Apollo travels to the moon all those years later and finds his ship sitting there. And von Braun cries tears of pride.

I don't know that even metastable hydrogen could get a V-2 to the Moon...NSWR with unobtainium nozzle?

Sadly, V-2's real heir (in form--not just engine development) was the Scud.

"Vengeance 10" would probably imply it's the two stage A-10, not the A-4/V2. Though they probably need the Saturn equivalent A-12.

Another book that implies a Nazi trip to the Moon is Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archive", first of his Laundry Files series. When the SAS/Laundry team chases the terrorists through a wormhole into a universe where the Nazi's triumphed, they find a parallel earth where the Nazi's terraformed (lunaformed?) the face of the Moon into an image of Hitler's face.

(Unfortunately for the Nazis, and everyone else, they then summoned up a frost giant which ate all the heat, leaving Earth covered in frozen plains of nitrogen and oxygen).

I seem to remember reading a novel where a German (?) astronaut, stranded on the moon is 'quite relieved' to greet Armstrong and Aldrin. Can't remember the title - sorry. Ring any bells with anyone else???

"Vengeance 10" would probably imply it's the two stage A-10, not the A-4/V2. Though they probably need the Saturn equivalent A-12.

Another book that implies a Nazi trip to the Moon is Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archive", first of his Laundry Files series. When the SAS/Laundry team chases the terrorists through a wormhole into a universe where the Nazi's triumphed, they find a parallel earth where the Nazi's terraformed (lunaformed?) the face of the Moon into an image of Hitler's face.

(Unfortunately for the Nazis, and everyone else, they then summoned up a frost giant which ate all the heat, leaving Earth covered in frozen plains of nitrogen and oxygen).
Hi

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 17
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 17
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 19
Will Eisner, Wally Wood & Jules Feiffer's 1952 comic strip, the Outer Space Spirit featured an ostensibly German moon mission :)

Attachments

• Image+(21).jpg
    Image+(21).jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 9
Edit: deleted off-topic content

Re: the original topic. I’d been looking for that book too. Thanks!

Last edited: