TPF351-20: The Turboprop that Never Was

YouCantbeCirrus

I am Cirrus, and don't call me Cessna
Reaction score
Hello everyone, something interesting for you today.
I have a fascination with all things turboprop and that includes engines which didn't quite make it to production. Today's subject is Garrett's failed engine the TPF351-20. This engine is fascinating if you know about the TPE331 which is arguably the second most used turboprop engine in the world after the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6.
Even more interesting is that this engine is derived from the TPE331 but is actually more like the PT6 in that this is a gas generating free power turbine engine; that is to say the part of the engine that turns the propeller is not mechanically connected to the compressor section of the engine.

This engine seems to have been in development before the project it was first to be used commercially on, The Embraer CBA-123 Vector, was being built. I thankfully was able to buy a brochure from what seems to be 1990/1991 (according to the back of the brochure when it says it was lithographed on) which puts this near when the CBA-123 first was being test flown.

I've attached a couple versions of the PDF I scanned onto this post for archiving and for your own browsing pleasure. I have perused it but not gone in-depth into it just yet. If anyone has more info on this engine please do add to this thread, I am really fascinated by this engine that seems to have been a great engine.

Attachments

• cba123 vector.jpg
    cba123 vector.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Garrett_TPF351.jpg
    Garrett_TPF351.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 51
  • tpf351.jpg
    tpf351.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 56
  • TPF351 engine brochure combine pages.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 29