Top Gun 2

Interesting helmet at the 1:23 mark, full face, and neck seals, so apparently some sort of pressure suit.

@DWG the image of Maverick in the pressure suit and helmet are not taken in an F/A-18. The canopy rail is different. Looks similar to an F-35,

Interesting helmet at the 1:23 mark, full face, and neck seals, so apparently some sort of pressure suit.
Did any US Naval aviators ever do an exchange tour at Beale AFB, where from there they flew U-2s or SR-71s?

The reflected panel doesn't look entirely consistent with the F-35, too many dials on the lower console, while at the same time it appears to have an F-35 style panoramic flatpanel display, so not U-2 or SR-71.

Obviously this has to be the Mig-28!

11ced013d6414f5288f6710f64185cfc.jpg

Or... Or... Just maybe, it's the Firefox :) Two movies in one!

Randy

Firefox 2 - Send Clint Eastwood to steal a new cutting edge Chinese stealth fighter.
What could go wrong.
Featuring Inappropriate racist language and a tragic heart attack.
And that’s just the result of the pitch to Clint...

Sigh... What's the point? Filmmakers nowadays just could not repeat the naive 80s homoeroticism

Well Kelly McGillis did subsequently come out as a lesbian.

But the real life inspiration for Callsign Legs Charlie went on to bigger and better things in DOD
(DEPSECDEF) so maybe there's a story angle there.

christinefox.jpg

In a serious twist of historical irony, the one and only country left flying Tomcats today is Iran, America best ennemy. The returning Maverick is on for a huge shock.
Plus that
l Kelly McGillis did subsequently come out as a lesbian.

(the vision of Tom Cruise / Maverick frozen, Futurama style, after a Tomcat accident in 1989. He awakes 30 years later to learn that
a) his former girlfriend has turned lesbian
b) the Tomcat has been replaced by an "improved Hornet" without the AIM-54
c) the only country in the world left flying Tomcats is Iran)

Maverick reaction

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Last edited:
On a less humorous note:

They replaced the whole "USS Galveston Far East" cruise patch with a "US Navy Indian Ocean" patch. The patches are pretty much random pretties anyway -- there's a CRUDESRON staff patch, a Marine patch of some sort, etc. Not the sort of thing a naval aviator is likely to really be wearing.

Not gonna lie, i saw the trailer 5 times the day it came out. Lots of potential for cheesiness there...BUT, while there's going to be CGI galore, i heard there will be A LOT of real aerial footage.
My advice: try to temporarily disconnect the brain for the bad stuff and focus on the good.

u
They replaced the whole "USS Galveston Far East" cruise patch with a "US Navy Indian Ocean" patch. The patches are pretty much random pretties anyway -- there's a CRUDESRON staff patch, a Marine patch of some sort, etc. Not the sort of thing a naval aviator is likely to really be wearing.

30 years on it's not unreasonable that Maverick would have added to his collection of patches. There's a good point made in the article that the original central patch with the Japanese and Taiwanese flags refers to his father's last tour, while the new one probably refers to Maverick's climactic engagement in the original film.

Not gonna lie, i saw the trailer 5 times the day it came out. Lots of potential for cheesiness there...BUT, while there's going to be CGI galore, i heard there will be A LOT of real aerial footage.
My advice: try to temporarily disconnect the brain for the bad stuff and focus on the good.
Most of us here survived going trough the Beach volley sequence dozen of times. We can do it.

I think there's going to be a beach football scene, judging from the trailer

Maverick is (or was) a test pilot, according to the trailer (video at 1:16 shows Maverick removing his sunglasses from a plaque that says "Maverick" Mitchell, Test Pilot) and his patch worn on the lower right side of his jacket is VX-31, the test and evaluation squadron located at China Lake. VX-31, known as the Dust Devils, specializes in software upgrades and integration testing of new weapons systems and load outs. Also, Cruise was seen flying his Mustang into China Lake during the development of the movie Maverick in November 2018, an indication that he may have been filming his test pilot scenes there.

Last edited:
Pentagon Production Agreement for Top Gun Maverick: for those interested in the areas cleared for filming, the method of aerial photography, what was borrowed from the Navy, and a litany of designated responsibilities that the production company must fulfill to have access to equipment, personnel, and facilities.

Attachments

• Pentagon-Production-Assistance-Agreement-For-Top-Gun-Maverick.pdf
    776.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Most of us here survived going trough the Beach volley sequence dozen of times. We can do it.
According to the Tarantino reading of the film that's a pivotal scene....

Don't worry, TopGun III will be all IA and we have yet to see a Reaper brushing his circuits with loads of hair gel.

“Something that’s unclassified but not well known, we recently in November … launched an air-to-air missile against a maneuvering target that scored a direct hit. It was an MQ-9 versus a drone with a heat-seeking air-to-air missile, and it was direct hit … during a test,” he said.

“We develop those tactics, techniques and procedures to make us survivable in those types of environments and, if we do this correctly, we can survive against some serious threats against normal air players out there,” Cheater pointed out. “We will go participate in ‘Red Flag’ exercises, and we will drop weapons in testing environments to make sure that we can fight against those type of adversaries.”

Last edited:
The Aviationist has an article showing Cruise in a black singed pressure suit with a patch that could reveal the mysterious aircraft's planform from the movie Maverick. The article suggests that its a hypersonic aircraft. The article also suggests that the mysterious aircraft may have had a back-seater (i.e. systems operator, such as a recon or EW systems operator or flight engineer). If this is the case and the back-seater died during the ejection, may explain the funeral scene in the movie. Also, if Maverick was 'sheep-dipped' (i.e. his records removed from the Navy personnel files) while test flying the unknown (classified) aircraft, that could explain his lack of promotions and his statement that the reason for the him being in the Navy 30 years and only a Captain was a 'mystery.' alluding to his being sheep-dipped.

https://theaviationist.com/2018/11/...suit-after-ejection-on-set-of-top-gun-sequel/

Last edited:
hmm, looks like the 'SR.72' artwork ...

Attachments

• 20191216_165805.jpg
    20191216_165805.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 41
I will eventually see this movie, but I just can't get up the interest to see it on opening day. When I do go back and watch the first one, I usually focus on the flying footage and tune out the rest of the story - I paid attention to it the first time and have no need to do so again.

Navy F/A-18 Pilot Reacts to Latest Top Gun: Maverick Trailer
Former U.S. Navy TOPGUN Instructor and F/A-18 pilot Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello provides an in-depth look at the various scenes of Paramount's latest Top Gun: Maverick trailer.
Video:
Code:
https://youtu.be/2-KfFOHMeqs
His former Co-Host "Sunshine" took part in some flight scenes.

Haven't seen the video above, but isn't there something fishy with Tom pushing his right hand forward at catapult launch instead of his left (gas throttle)?

By the way, were some scene taken in Switzerland? Very alpinesque scenery :)

See here:

Last edited:
You liked NASA Vomit Comet ? You will love Top Gun "Vomit Tomcat" (Vomcat ?)

"Take my barf away..."

"Take my guts awaaaay..."

ROTFL :p:p:p:p:p

Shaked by all these motions
In that foolish pilot's game
On this endless ocean
Endlessly barfing, have no shame
Turning and returning
soon my stomach thrown outside
barfing in slow motion
As you turn around and say
Take that barf away
Take that barf away

Retching I try breathing
Near suffocated by barf
Never escaping fate to become the sickened one
Turning and returning

barfing in slow motion
As you turn around and say
Take your barf away

Through the vomit bag I saw you
In time you ducked away
When my stomach crashed I called you
And turned to hear you say
Well enough for today
I am sickened

Take that barf away
Take that barf away

Shaked by all these motions
In that foolish pilot's game
Ruined by the motion
Soon my stomach lay in shambles
Turning and returning
Retching in slow motion
As you turn my way and say
Take your barf away
Take that barf away
Take your barf away (Dear God)
Take that barf away

Last edited:
YVAN EHT NIOJ!
You know there's a naval buildup when they make another TOP GUN movie! 600 355 Ships or Bust!

On a side note, I can't wait for the Navy to lord their manned SR-72 over the Air Force (it's probably a Navy program if it's flying out of China Lake instead of Groom Lake, right?).
Because maritime reconnaissance in a high-intensity-warfare environment is a Navy mission, and we need to target all our standoff hypersonic weapons somehow!

Last edited:
Their designations authorize Cruise and Bruckheimer to wear the Navy’s “wings of gold,” what a naval aviator would wear, and both are entitled to the honors, courtesies and privileges afforded to Naval Aviators.

They need to change the trailers to "June 2022". And write a couple gigantic interest checks to the production companies.